General Discussion Triathlon Talk » McMillan Running Custom Plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-19 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Subject: McMillan Running Custom Plans
Has anyone used the custom training plans from McMillian Running (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ctp.htm)?  I'm not talking about the training paces you can get from the free calculator but the plans they offer for sale.  I'm signed up for a half mary in the fall and considering buying a plan instead of using one of the fee plans on Runners World etc that I've done in the past.  Only problem is that McMillan doesn't over any sample plans.  I'd appreciate hearing any experience with these (or other plans you've purchased).

Thanks,

2010-07-19 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2991156

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: McMillan Running Custom Plans
Have you tried Hal Higdon's plans...they're free!

http://www.halhigdon.com/
2010-07-20 6:08 AM

User image

Runner
My personal stance is that I wouldn't pay for something that is going to be some sort of canned generic plan. Unless you are talking to an actual coach at some point, I'd either save the money and look at free plans elsewhere, or buy a book that has an assortment of plans for different distances and levels.
2010-07-20 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2991685

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Scout7 - 2010-07-20 7:08 AM My personal stance is that I wouldn't pay for something that is going to be some sort of canned generic plan. Unless you are talking to an actual coach at some point, I'd either save the money and look at free plans elsewhere, or buy a book that has an assortment of plans for different distances and levels.

I agree, I don't want to pay for a canned plan, but that's one of the differences with these programs (or so it appears).  According to the website there is a minimal amount of evaluation that happens at the beginning.  My suspicion is that they use stop plans and make minor modifications so the plans aren't "fully custom", but that's just a suspicion.  This seems like it could be a good compromise between a free/stock and coaching (which isn't in the budget right now).
2010-07-20 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Not sure how much the McMillan plans are but as a silver member here on BT why don't you just upgrade your membership to gold for 6 months, use a BT running plan and have access to the BT coaches to help tweak the plan to fit you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » McMillan Running Custom Plans Rss Feed