United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 63/129
Pre-race routine:

My neighbors were kind enough to keep their party going on their patio at 4:45 AM. So I was woken up early. Yes, they were STILL out there drinking till 6:15 AM, when I left the house. Nice. I gave them the evil eye. Then when I got home later I piled all their beer cans and bottles on their patio with a note, "Stop littering!"

Got to the race site and found parking. Went to the Run On tent and found my cycling friend Bobby. He was running his first 9 miler... longest run ever for him.
Run
  • 1h 43m 40s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I decided to run with Bobby since my long runs have been pathetic at best lately. In fact, most of my long runs have been in the 11:30 mm range (use to be in the 9:30 mm range) as the heat and humidity have beaten me down. There ends up being a lot of walking thus the slower time. I figured if I ran with him, it would make me go slower and keep me running the entire way.

I asked him what he wanted to pace to be and he said around a 11 mm. I told him I would keep us on pace with my Garmin. He was fine with that.

Our first mile was too fast. I kept trying to slow us down, but we all know how that is. Always too fast at the start of a race.

After that we settled into a slower pace.

First 3 miles were solid. We ran, I talked, he listened. Ha!

We would walk the aid stations and after each one I would pick a “start running” point. I always gave him time to walk after the aid station and to drink his water.

I took in a gels at miles 3 and 6. I always take 10-15 minutes to eat one.

Maybe around mile 4-5 Bobby just ran behind me focused on my heels. I told him that at mile 7 I would speed us up and we would go in strong.

He was working hard and staying with me.

A little over mile 7 we saw a couple of his running group friends. He talked to them for a little bit, then we kept going.

I kept cheering him on and told him we were strong and finishing strong! I reminded him that he rode across America… and I did an Ironman. We were strong!

At one point I slowed down a little and he says, “speed up!” He was right behind me the whole way. So I did… and he sped up too.

We finally saw the finish line and sprinted to it. When we were done he said the run was pretty hard and he thanked me for pacing him. He also mentioned that I turned into a different person out there- well, yeah, I got my race face on- duh! ;)

Overall a good run. Not my fastest, but and I not paced him, I would have gone slower. My motivation has been killed in this heat. And I love pushing someone to the edge of their limits. It’s fun! He wasn’t over his limit, but he got a good challenge!

Also I learned why I don’t wear a running skirt in the heat. Because it turns into a wet blanket around me and is annoying. By the end of the run it was heavy and I was able to wring sweat out of it! Lesson learned.

Mile 1- 10:29 mm
Mile 2- 11:02 mm
Mile 3- 11:04 mm
Mile 4- 11:28 mm
Mile 5- 11:17 mm
Mile 6- 10:54 mm
Mile 7- 10:56 mm
Mile 8- 10:48 mm
Mile 9- 10:45 mm
Mile 0.41- 9:10 mm

Post race
Event comments:

Overall a good race. A little boring that the course was out and back, but it worked. Nice race shirt as swag. Also got a hat, but I don't wear hats.

The pre-post race activities were nice. Better than usual. Pizza. Banana's. Watermelon. Beer.

My only complaint- NO COLD WATER! The water on the course, hot. The water after the race, hot. No water at the finish line even. Had to hunt some HOT water down. I know this race is all about "being hot" but really, did we need to drink hot water too? Probably not.

Last updated: 2010-05-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:40 | 9.32 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/129
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 9:29 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Too Hot To Handle

2010-07-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2991394

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Too Hot To Handle
nice job, I can't imagine running in that heat.

Oh...um.....he wasn't looking at your heels.
2010-07-21 10:45 PM
in reply to: #2991394

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Too Hot To Handle
Good job on your race despite having to live in the ghetto. Your race performances will surely improve once you move out of there.

WTG pacing your friend to a solid finish. I've oftentimes watched the "heels" of females in front of me, also.

Your race resume' is getting packed with more and more entries and making you a multi-experienced multi-sport athlete.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Too Hot To Handle Rss Feed