General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need long ride route in VA beach please. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-19 9:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Need long ride route in VA beach please.
I will be staying in VA beach for a week on Atlantic Ave and need some places to Swim bike and run. I am not sure I want to tackle the ocean for swimming any places to swim laps?

Kevin

2010-07-20 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2991397

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Subject: RE: Need long ride route in VA beach please.
I swim the ocean when I go there... why not?
2010-07-20 10:11 PM

The city has several rec centers with 25 meter pools that are open too the public for a fee. Also, checkout Final Kick Sports web page for group bike and run opportunities.
2010-07-20 10:11 PM

The city has several rec centers with 25 meter pools that are open too the public for a fee. Also, checkout Final Kick Sports web page for group bike and run opportunities.
2010-07-20 10:33 PM

User image

Virginia Beach -- Rudee Inlet
Kevin,

I live here in VA Beach, and can say if you would like to TRY open water, there are two extra great places, both on the protected Chesapeake Bay side, much milder than the crashing waves of the Atlantic.  On Monday & Wednesday evenings  a group from the Final Kick Triathlon store goes on a mentored swim down off of Shore Drive (muster at the shop @ 5:20pm and head over together....all comers welcome!).  Another great place is off of the beach at First Landing State Park, also off of Shore Drive, and open to the public from 7AM til Sundown.  Be aware there is CURRENT in both areas and the strength of it is variable from day-to-day depending on tide, so you need to swim smart, and have a spotter/buddy if possible.  I am not a strong swimmer by any stretch, but with the help of a spotter on shore, I have been doing ALL of my training swims in both of these locations.  Has worked out great and I have vastly improved over 6 weeks of training.

As for the "long ride"...what is the distance you're after?  There are quite a few well-worn bike loops in the area, just depends on your preference. 
2010-07-23 4:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the replies. I am trying to get 112 miles in Sunday AM. I called Fat Frog's and spoke with Russ. He has me pointed in the direction of Knotts Island. I will loop these roads to get the miles in. I will also hook up for a couple of the group rides while there and hope to hit the OWS Monday or Wednesday. Thanks. Maybe I will see you there.

Kevin 

2010-07-26 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
I just moved from Va Beach about 3 months ago and will second the rec center approach for swimming.  The Great Neck center is fairly close to the ocean front but a little further drive is the Kemspville rec center.  Both have great pools but I worked out at the Kempsville pool more often.  Not sure that they are free but I know you can purchase an affordable pass.
2010-07-28 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Welcome!

Here is a very popular route, low traffic route:
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/va/virginia-beach/84681...
There is a little store for fuel/drinks around mile 16-17 and again on the return.
It is possible to ride from the Oceanfront (on General Booth Blvd) get the start of the route.

Also, Fat Frogs bike shop in Red Mill Commons has a great group ride. Check their website for a ride schedule.

Hope that helped. Again, welcome and enjoy your stay!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need long ride route in VA beach please. Rss Feed