General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door County Triathlon Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 47m 52s
Overall Rank = 55/534
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/56
Pre-race routine:

(Overall is male only...)

Woke up @ 5 and dragged all 4 sleeping kids out of their beds and into their booster/car seats (this was also the event warm-up as they are getting heavy:-) squats anyone?).

Drank my morning carb/protein shake but used cassien protein vs whey today. Ate a banana and that was it.

Double checked that I had all my gear and headed to the site with the whole family. Arrived at the site. Realized that my double check for gear was worthless... I intended to wear my running shoes there and had my sandals on - crap. Drove back and grabbed shoes, thank God we were only 10 minutes away:-)
Event warmup:

Just did an easy swim past the pier and out a couple of buoys and back.
Swim
  • 32m 59s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Intended to go under my goal Ironman pace of 1:35/100 yds.

I managed to hold the pace that I wanted to for the swim. Overall I felt like I was swimming really slow because I started in wave 1 and it seemed like I was getting passed a ton. But, I hit the times I set out to and I'm happy with the uneventful swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Wetsuit stripping went well.

No issues really just took my time and headed out. Messed up the bike mount a bit but wasn't that bad.
Bike
  • 2h 42m 18s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Intended to maintain about 190 watts avg on the bike for first 10 then ratchet it up incrementally... Overall average power was 206 which was great in terms of staying disciplined and racing to the plan.

Basically stuck right to the plan with respect to each 10 miles having a different goal. Data is on Gamin site: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40949690

Launched a bottle hitting a massive pothole on one of the last 90 turns. Since it was right in front of the volunteers, I stopped and grabbed the bottle. Had a couple issues getting going again, but finally did and got back into the rhythm as quickly as possible. Possibly cost between 1-3 minutes depending on how I think about it.

Overall, it was a good ride. The headwinds were bothersome for the 30-40 mile stretch and cost my average speed but I held the power numbers and trudged on.

I finished the bike leg having fueled correctly and ready to put it all out there on the run course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Wasted what seemed like an eternity trying to rack my bike because of the bikes that were racked on either side...
Run
  • 1h 30m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Wanted to go sub 7 pace and did so...

So, 1/2 mile into the run... look at the Garmin, oops... 5'35" pace:-) K, better pull it back a lot!

Finished mile 1 @ 6:30 or so. rest of the data is here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40949693

Really had fun on this run, not smiling the whole time fun. But, pull my cap down low and zero in on peoples backs and pass-them type of fun. I just got into a zone and rhythm and tried to keep my HR around 170 up to mile 8 and then wherever it went from there was all good.

Boy, I guess that hill just before mile 10 was no joke! "I think I can, I think I can..." If it's good enough for the kids it's good enough for me:-)

The finish actually turned into a footrace as I was able to reel in the dude who was WAY ahead of me at the 12 mile mark. I pulled off a 6'05" mile 13 and almost had the dude passed in the finish shoot before I pulled back on the pace so as to not fall on my face in front of the crowd because I definitely am not that coordinated and wiping out was very possible given how hard we were going:-) As usual, I forgot to hit stop on my watch when crossing the finish line...
Post race
Event comments:

Excellent race overall. Good organization, great course.

Last updated: 2009-11-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:59 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/56
Overall: 101/534
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:42:18 | 56 miles | 20.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/56
Overall: 170/534
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:30:13 | 13.1 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/56
Overall: 14/534
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-20 12:38 AM

User image

Regular
Shoreview, MN
Subject: Door County Triathlon Half Ironman

2010-07-20 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2991590

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison-ish, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Door County Triathlon Half Ironman
Nice race!  I think you messed up the total time though.
2010-07-20 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2992728

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great job!   Yeah, change the "race time" to the total time (not the time of day).  Keeps us from having to do the math.

I hope your family didn't get too wet or tired, that was really nice of them to come.

I am glad I saw you at the beginning, it's always nice to see a familiar face so far away.  I looked for you where the run crossed at 3 & 9, but I am sure you were done or up the bluff by the time I hit that stretch.

Anyway, fantastic race!

2010-07-20 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2993389

User image

Regular
Shoreview, MN
Oops! Good looking out:-) Yeah, total time is fixed... guess that's what I get for trying to knock it out at 1am or so...!

Total time is fixed... http://itiming.com/searchable/results.php?results=dct_half10&bib=22 just to prove it!

It was nice to see you Emily! I totally spaced it but we should have gotten a pic together, we even had the camera handy!!! I was totally zoned in on the run so even if we crossed paths I probably wouldn't have realized it!
2010-07-21 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2993617

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Wow - 4:47!  It's just mind boggling to me that someone can do a race like that 2 HOURS faster than someone else.  Wow.  Great job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon Half Ironman Rss Feed