General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peripheral Neuropathy/Handlebar Palsy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-20 8:57 AM

Subject: Peripheral Neuropathy/Handlebar Palsy?
Anyone ever have any experience with this?

I am a new member of the sport, and have only been cycling for three weeks.  I first noticed the problem during my swims.  I couldn't keep the ring and pinky finger on my left hand together when I was pulling through the water.  At first I thought it was nothing, but then, after a ride on Sunday that lasted over two hours, I got of my bike and the fingers on my left hand, particularly the pinky, ring, and middle would not straighten.  I was obviously very concerned as I had no control over my hand and my fingers were stick in a claw like grip.  I went to the ER and they did some tests to rule out anything major (stroke, tumors, spinal nerve damage) and concluded that I have peripheral neuropathy.   The diagnosis isn't 100% confirmed - I am seeing a neurologist tomorrow, but obviously I am very concerned.

I did some research and discovered this condition called handlebar palsy which seems like what I am going through. 

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_3_2.htm

I am concerned though as I have only been riding for three weeks.  I think the first step here is to get diagnosed and find out what the doctor says.  Assuming its handlebar palsy, then the next step is to get myself professionally fit on my bike to make sure there isn't too much pressure on my hands.  But after that, I don't know...I am concerned that I am susceptible to injury and I don't want to suffer something permanent.  While this condition isn't painful currently, I don't doubt that it can become extremely painful.  Its also really annoying wearing this wrist splint at the moment and only really being able to use one hand.

Probably the most annoying thing is that I can't train aside from running. 

Guess I am just looking for advice here - has anyone suffered from this?  What is the treatment?  How long can this last?  Can it  become permanent? 

Any help, thoughts or insight is appreciated.

2010-07-20 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2991945

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Peripheral Neuropathy/Handlebar Palsy?
I get it. Not as bad as you though. Mine usually goes away in a couple of days. The worst of it was when I couldn't move my shift lever on the right with my right hand. I just improvised that day with how I was shifting.

I have found that if I ride in my drops with a straight arm, it makes things worse. If I ride mostly on the hoods with bent elbows I don't get it. So it seems the straightened elbow is what makes it happen on me.

Mine is pretty much a minor annoyance. I never saw a Dr since I do not have health insurance.

2010-07-20 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Also try swimming with paddles. Problem fixed for swimming.

2010-07-20 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

My first ride over 90 min  when I got a new bike did this to my hand also.   I had my fit redone, and it went away but took about 2 weeks.   My was from being in the aero bars and it compress on the ulnar side of my arm.  I had to tape my fingers together when I was swimming since I had no control of them either.

The good news is once my fit was redone to a less agressive position and I realized that I need to move my arms a little bit every once and a while when riding it has never come back.

2010-07-20 12:42 PM

User image

Melon Presser
I've had it too. A professional bike fit should help: be very clear about your issue and also make sure they will do follow-up adjustments (it's taken a long time of trial and error after my fittings to get the handlebar height and angle just right).

Also, the shape of the hoods made a difference for me--last bike fitter re-shaped them with padding underneath, and that helped. Gloves may do the same (not for me, though).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peripheral Neuropathy/Handlebar Palsy? Rss Feed