Team Magic
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 10s
Overall Rank = 78/409
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/55
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:45 after going to bed way too late. I had a half a bowl of dry Uncle Sam's, almost an entire whole wheat bagel with peanutbutter and some coffee and some water. I like to shower before races so I did that too. I was really glad since my hotel was not accomdating and would not give me late check out. Then because of my late swim start I didn't make it in time before regular checkout to get a shower. This was really my only low point of the day. I ♥ showers, being clean. . .
Event warmup:

I did not choose my hotel well. It was nice enough--Mariott Convention center but it was not as close as some other hotels. As a result I rode my bike the mile to the start carrying all my stuff. My husband helped. Then I also consider the 2 and hour hours I had until I actually started the swim walking around Chattanooga barefoot a warm up. I did do some yoga out of boredom while waiting too.

Swim
  • 24m 2s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim time is fine. I really can't complain since it is a rare week that I swim more than once a week and truth be told I often skip weeks. I am though annoyed at my poor sighting skills. (Well, also annoyed that by the time I got to start swimming it was nearly 9am. That sucked, a lot.)
This was my 3rd triathlon (done a sprint and a HIM) and I probably sighted the worst I ever have. This mostly had to do with my confusion on which side of the bouys I should be on. I knew it was a straight shot but I was worried about getting dq'd for swimming in the wrong place. As a result I was swimming closer to the side and then decided midway maybe I was suppose to be more in the middle so I diagonally cut across the river to be where I thought I should be. All this did was put me in a washing machine of swimmers and made the water choppy. Should have stayed where I was. For sighting method I would just swim for 50 strokes and look. I figured that was looking up every 75meters or so. I figured that if I got off too far it would cost a minute at most of correction.

Hmm, on second thought I guess maybe I didn't have so much a sighting problem so much as it is just not being very bright.

Anyway, shrug, I guess I did well enough. I caught a ton of other swimmers that started way ahead of me.

I also felt the water was very hot. I hate hot water. It makes me swim slower.
What would you do differently?:

Just swim straight ahead and not zigzag across the river like a dumbass.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

No idea if this good or not.My rack couldn't have been more in the middle of transition if I had gotten out a tape measure and planned it. I did good though running from the water (removing cap and googles) and finding my rack. Squirted water on my feet, put on helmet, shoes, socks sunglasses and ran out of transition. I am not coordinated enough to jump on my road bike (not tt for this girlie) and slid into my shoes. I also don't see the point of this since in, now 3, races I have done I always pass people fiddling with their shoes just past the transition line.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 5s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 18.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Sigh. I am pretty unhappy that I still suck on the bike. I see that this is where so many triathletes have strength and it is my weakest area. This year I have tripled what I rode all of last year and I can say at best I am only marginally better. It just baffles me that I hardly swim at all and come up 5th in my AG but I bike my tail off (okay actually my tail has gotten a little bigger from all the cycling) and I am 15th.

I will say I did not push hard on the bike. I fried myself on the bike and then had a miserable painful run in my other two tris. I knew that it was going to be hot as blazes when I got off the bike and the run was already going to suck. So I kept my bike effort behind what I call the pain line. My goal for this race was to have a good, painfree race. As a result my bike was comfortable, completely boring and subpar. But it did not hurt. Oh and I didn't get flat. I was soooooo worried about that.

Maybe next time be a little more aggressive. There were many times I could have pushed a little harder but was just sort of complacent.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

I did loosen my shoes before I got to transition but I didn't do the flying dismount. Just don't think I am bike coordinated to pull that off gracefully.

It was pretty crowded and while tried to run there were people in front of me not running so therefore my efforts were in vain. Then I got confused and went down the wrong rack. That cost some time but whatever.

I call this a success since I didn't run out with my helmet on.

Not get lost.
Run
  • 51m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I've had a rough year with my running. Lots of little injuries and lots of ITBS flare ups. My goal was to just run the entire 10k. I am notorious for walking in a 10k--I can run a marathon without walking but 10k's? Walk pretty much every time; even my PR. I was doing well with my goal until about mile 5ish. I was starting to get chills, had that swimming head feel and then I passed a guy loudly puking his guts out as I ran up that little hill. So I walked for about 30 seconds, got the HR down and finished on running.

I have to say that this run was more of an easy jog rather than race effort. Make no mistake; I was going about as fast as I could go but it felt like molasses. I am guessing it was like that for everyone since only a few men passed me and no women at all did.

I wish I could have ran faster but I had a pain free run and considering how hot it was I think that is something.

It is what it is.
Post race
Warm down:

Looked for my husband and then had an adult tantrum when I found out I couldn't have a shower. Got naked in the parking garage and poured a water bottle over me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would say the heat. Definitely would have been more aggressive had it been cooler. I have been to the medical tent after a very hot marathon so at this point I know it is best to just dial it back otherwise it is going to just be miserable with a possible DNF.

Event comments:

I really liked the Oly distance. I figured I would. I am well suited for events that are 2.5-3 hours long. Sprint wss too short and HIM was just too long for my mental ability.

Like I mentioned, this was my 3rd triathlon, first in almost 2 years. My objective was to have a good race and I did. My goal time wise going in was under 3 hours with figuring 2:45 was the best I could do given my cycling ability. Run was definitely slower than I predicted but I think had it been cooler that would have been faster. What I am most impressed with myself about is my pacing ability. I "raced" this entire event with no watch, heart rate monitor or any concept of my pace/mph. I had no idea until they posted the results that I met my A goal time of 2:45.

Last updated: 2010-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:02 | 1640 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/55
Overall: 0/409
Performance: Average
Suit: n/a
Course: Down river supposedly with a current. I did not find this to be true.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:24:05 | 26.1 miles | 18.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/55
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills. I picked this race because of the hilly bike since I only have a road bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:44 | 06.21 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/55
Course: Fairly flat. Steps and a few small hills. Some shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-20 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2010-07-24 5:14 PM
in reply to: #2991953

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

commenting only to add a link to my personal blog that has race photos since I finally updated that.

http://thenegativesplit.blogspot.com/2010/07/lemonade-in-riptide-2010-chattanooga.html

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed