General Discussion Race Reports! » 20th Annual Independece Day Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

20th Annual Independece Day Triathlon & Duathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coconut Creek, Florida
United States
MultiRace / Publix FW
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 04m 58s
Overall Rank = 163/421
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/18
Pre-race routine:

The "20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon" is part of the 2010 MultiRace / Publix FFW Triathlon Series...

Photobucket Photobucket

It took place at Tradewinds Park in Coconut Creek, FL the 4th of July...with a Duathlon and Triathlon at the same time...with 118 duathletes and 421 triathletes...

Friday July 2nd: Had my last swim / bike work-outs...
Went (Buddy and me) for Full Carbo Load at Olive Garden...got...Calamaris for appetizer...then a Garden Fresh Salad for both...and...Buddy ordered the Seafood Portofino and for me the Grilled Shrimp Caprese...Hummmm...very Yummmmmy dinner...!!!!

Saturday July 3rd: Mandatory Day Off...Woke-up late...had our usual Sturday full breakfast...OJ, eggs, toasted bagel with cream chesse and slices of turkey, salame and brie on top, and coffee w/milk...Nice...!!!

Washed / waxed / lubed / tuned bike...changed wheels for Race Wheels...prepared/ packed all my Race Stuff and beverages for Race...

Had early dinner...grilled chicken breast, wild rice and green salad...

Loaded bikes and Tri-bags into the SUV...and...went to bed early at 8:30 pm...falling sleep at 9 pm...ZZZZzzzz

Sunday 4th of July: Woke-up at 4:00 am...Got dressed...took Mariah our dog out...took our usual Pre-Race breakfast: OJ for both...Buddy got a waffle with PB and coffee and for me my usual Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) and our usual packages of Multi-Vitamisn and MInerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine and CO-Q-10...

Took our coolers with beverages and left from home around 4:35 am...It took us 1hr 10 minutes to get there included our usual technical stop by the Pompano Beach Service Plaza to avoid the long lines at the Restrooms...LOL

Got inside the Park very fast...the lines were moving fast cuz they were not charging the entry fee...Nice...!!!

Parked car very close to Transition...took our bikes, Tri-bags and coolers and headed directly to get our Race Packages...timing chips...and Body marked...

Buddy got the Bid# 480 / orange cap...and...for me...Bid# 479 / pink cap...awwwwwwww...horror...I hate this color...LOL

Beside the usual bag-pack with goodies...and...Bid#s and Swimming Caps...We got a nice high-tech t-shirt...

20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon 20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon

Went to Transition...to our rack area...racked my bike...BTW...got the 2nd spot in the rack...and...started to set-up all my Race Stuff as usual:
Helmet over seat...a green towel in front of my bike...and...over...my biking/running shoes...sunglasses over my biking shoes...and...my belt with Bid# inside my hat warpped next to my running shoes and a bottle of frozen water...

Checked gears of the bike and cyclocomputer...

Placed my Tri-bag and cooler out of the rack area next to the fence...sat over my cooler...closed eyes...and...did a final visualization of my Race...took 1 Hammer Gel...2 Endurolytes...with water and a mix of Cytomax/AminoVital...
Event warmup:

Took googles, swimming cap and wax ear-plugs and headed to the Swim Area at the lake...and...after some stretching jumped into the lake for a very short warm-up cuz they were calling everybody out of the water...WTH...!!! First time that they didn't allow the people to do a warm-up swimming before the Race...Yikes...!!!

The Race started as usual in time at 6:50 am with the 1st Wave (Pro/Elites and Physical Challenge)...and...after 2 minutes...the Duathlon in mass...and the rest of the Waves at 7:00 am...every 4 minutes...
Buddy was in the 4th Wave (Male 40-44, Male 55+) at 7:04 am...and...me...the 7th Wave (Female 35+) at 7:16 am...

Here a view of the Lake before the Race started:

20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon
Swim
  • 09m 11s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swimming Course

When they gave us green light to start...jumped into the water and started to swim as usual with a constante stroke...trying to draft behind of some fast swimmers but they took off very fast..
It was a nice swimming cuz everybody spreaded out without any combat or contact...but...very dissapointed with my swimming time...I don't know WTH was......but...every time that I swim in fresh water is usually 1 minute or more slower than my usual ocean swimmming...I know more bouyancing...but...still...also the water temp was too warm...Yikes...!!!

Just when my fingers touched sand...got up and ran as fast as possible to the Swim Exit Arch...

Here running to the Swim Exit Arch...behind of these 2 women with my pinky swimming cap...

20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon 20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon
What would you do differently?:

Continue with my trainings...
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

It was a fast Transition as usual...the 2nd fastest in my AG and 87th Overall / 421...not bad...!!!

It was a short run from the Swim Exit to Transition Area...
Just when I ran over the mats at the Swim Exit Arch...removed googles, swimming cap and wax ear-plugs and put them inside the cap...and...running as fast as possible at the same time to Transition Area...

At my rack area...put first sunglasees and helmet...and...at the same time biking shoes...took bike and ran very fast out of Transition to the mount area...

Practice and practice...
Bike
  • 29m 24s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike Course

Just in the mount area...jumped over my bike and took off...cranking as usual like crazy...passing a lot of people...even...a lot of bike traffic...but...I know that my bike is one of my strength legs beside my run...

At this point I only knew that my best friend Marylou, and 2 more women in my AG are leading...and...I didn't know who else...but...I kept my fast average...passing more and more people...

This is a very fast Course...with some serious and tigh curves...but...I know it very well...many years racing here...and...I feel like my bike goes in Automatic Pilot...LOL

Here approching to one of the curves...and...taking it at high speed...

And here at the same curve for second time...trying to pass a girl that was blocking me for almost all the first lap...I was yelling her "On your left, keep your right" Unfortunate no referee around...She could be penalized...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....!!!

20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon

But...Thanks Godness...after this curve...finally...I passed her and took off till Transition Area....

Just approching to the desmount area...did it like usual...like the Pro/Elites...but...keeping shoes on and jumped off the bike and ran fast inside to Transition Area...

Continue with my trainings...very happy with my bike performance...the best in this Bike Course...even...all the bike traffic and circunstances...
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

It was other fast Transition as usual...and...again...the 2nd fastest in my AG and 86th Overall / 421 WooooHooooo...!!!

Here running to my rack area...

2oth Annual Independence Day Triathlon

Racked bike...changed shoes...removed helmet...and...took my hat with Bid# and my bottle of water and ran as fast as possible out of Transition...

Practice and practice...
Run
  • 24m 33s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

We were running for first time this new Run Course...It was the debut for this Race...cuz...We usually run 2.50 miles in this location...but...this time they decided to have a 2 laps run...3 miles...and...it was nice...!!!

Just out of Transition running not too fast and not too slow with a constante pace...put my hat and Bid#...dranks some water from my bottle and tossed some over my head...and...started to increase speed...passing more and more people...

Here when I finished my first lap...

2010 Annual Independence Day Triathlon

Just when I started my 2nd Lap...I increased more my speed...and...after the last water station started to sprint till the Finish Line where I sneaked as usual other great Finish...

I saw from far a woman...I didn't know what AG she was but I said to me..."Come one Velo...she is your target and You can do it"...and...sprinted but very hard...and...when...I was approching to her...I saw her calf with her age 40...and...a group of friends of her started to cheer her and yelled to her "Faster...faster...she is coming behind you"...man...that was the trigger that made me sprint more and more...reaching/passing her at the last second before the Finish Line...and...beating her...Yes...!!! LOL

Here You can see the secuence Pics...

I only knew that I was smocking "Speedy Gonzalez in action" LOL

Continue with my trainings...
Post race
Warm down:

Just after We passed the Finish Line...I volunteer gave to me a bottle of water and other one took off my timing chip from my left ankle...and...went to congratulate the girl...and...she congratulated me too....Nice...!!!

Met with Buddy and went to Transition Area to collect/pack all our Race Stuff...and...took them with the bikes to the car...

Went to check Results finding that I got 5th place in my AG..a very competitive AG...but...WoooHooo..!!!

Total Time: 1h 04m 58s

Female 45-49: 5th / 18 women
We were 19 but one was awarded 2nd Female Master Overall...

Female Overall: 40th / 144 women

Overall: 163th / 421 triathletes

Went to eat some yummmmmy and recovery food...and....met with other tri-friends...

Here with my girlfriend Suzy...

And here with Buddy and Suzy...just before the Award Ceremony...

Here...the Award Ceremony...

Here...the pretty neat Award...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No excuses this time...but...I had to deal with some bike traffic...and I know I could do a better Race in general...in special in the swimming...I'm not a faster swimmer...average swimmer but stronger with endurance...

Event comments:

Other MultiRace / Publix FFW Great and very well organized Event as usual...on time...lots of volunteers...plenty of water stations...and...great Post Race activities and food...that...recommend to everybody...in special beginners...

Last updated: 2010-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:11 | 400 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/18
Overall: 252/421
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:24 | 10 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 193/421
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:33 | 03 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 164/421
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-20 2:22 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: 20th Annual Independece Day Triathlon & Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 20th Annual Independece Day Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed