United States
Lake Mills Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 47s
Overall Rank = 298/594
Age Group = CLYDESDALE
Age Group Rank = 18/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, only 3 hours of sleep. Working second shift really eats into the "night before" rest. My wife backed out on driving me since she was up with our 3 month old son for most of the night. So, I ate a granola bar, some swedish fish, and downed a gatorade and energy drink as I drove 2 hours across the state.
Event warmup:

Registered as a Clydesdale for the first time, felt a little more at home with other 250 lb guys. Rode bike from car to transition to loosed up legs, ran about a mile on the the trail, and swam.
I had made the conscious choice to not wear a wetsuit. This resulted in wading in the water for warmth for what seemed like forever waiting for my wave to start. Bad choice, as I got a nasty case of swimmer itch over my entire body, itched for the next seven days uncontrollably. Also, was surrounded by a few otehr athletes who were openly discussing peeing in the lake. Decided to go ashore and wait in the cold breeze.
Swim
  • 10m 5s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out in the middle of the pack and pretty much stayed there. However, I have a very bad habit of drifting to the right as I swim and constantly ahd to correct my swim as the cource was done counter clockwise. Got a big gulp of water, and recalled the "peeing in the lake" converstaion I had heard earlier, I wanted to gag.
What would you do differently?:

Improve sighting and technique. Spend more time in pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Decided to wear a bicycle jersey (like to carry tube in pocket, hate to have underseat bag flopping around) and had attached race number to it before the race started. I struggled to get the tight fitting jersey over my wet body, resulting in the race number being torn off. Had to stop and reattach. In the chaos, I forgot to put my helmet on until I was reminded to at the exit. Had to stop completely and fumble the helmet on, nearly causing an accident. My bad.

Put my helmet on. Use race belt. Rethink attire.
Bike
  • 48m 43s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off great. The bike leg is probably my best. Kept a good pace, but didn't bring any water, bad idea. Passed a saddle laying in the road near mile 14 and was glad I wasn't the only person having a bad day. It was relatively windy, but there was good strecth where I had a good tail wind and pushed my pace up for atleast a mile or two. Luckily, My broad shoulders act as a sail in the wind :). Unfortunatley, the course turned into the wind and my pace slowed. Overall, I was content with the bike portion.

Bring water. Invest in aerobars.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Carried bike into transition, carried to rack. Threw on my hat and shoes and left. Struggled to get shoes on. Took my time as my legs started to cramp.
Run
  • 29m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Despite having logged a significant amount of time running, I contiue to really stink at increasing speed. My lack of hydration on the bike resulted in some pretty bad muscle cramps. Struggled for the first two miles, but recovered and felt better the last mile.

Need to evaluate my running training. Last year, this was my first Tri ever and I barely survived the run, as it was the first time I had run 3 miles. Since then I have trained for and finished two half marathons. My endurance has really improved, however I remain around the ten minute mile pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Panted and walked around dizzy for a few minutes. Tried to eat the breakfast burrito offered as a post race meal. Stomach said, "nope." Which was disappointing, since I really enjoy breakfast burritos. Oh, well. Downed some water. Packed up and headed back to the car. Started to itch.....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sleeping, having a poor diet, wieging 250 lbs and not running enough this spring. (Hard to put on my running shoes when they sit next to my bikes hoses.)

Event comments:

Easy early season race to get into teh swing of things.

Last updated: 2010-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:05 | 440 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/594
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: small waves, warm water. Counter Clockweise Swim.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:43 | 16 miles | 19.71 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: fast and flat, with a few rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:18 | 03.11 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat, out and back on trail. Short run on pavement at end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes