United States
Race Day Events, LLC
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 31m 15s
Overall Rank = 157/173
Age Group = CLYDESDALE
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4am and packed up the family and made the drive to Verona. Ate a bannana and drank a gatorade on the way. Had a half-assed nutrition plan. Felt good going in to the event but was worried about the hills on the bike and run, as I struggle with hills (Even though I am surrounded by them in the SW Wisconsin River Valley and can't avoid training on them)
Event warmup:

This was my first OLY and I must say it was pretty tough. The looped swim, which involves getting out of the water between laps was interesting. Stretched and swam a little. Stood around holding my son for a while, he was hungry and grumpy, so was I.
Swim
  • 35m 21s
  • 1794 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was a little apprehensive about swimming without a wetsuit, as my swimmer's itch had just gone away after Lake Mills. But, I really dislike wetsuits, as I A:) Can not afford to but my own at this time. B.) can not find a rental that fits my 6'3, 250lb broad frame in a way that allows easy movement. So, tri shorts it was.
I continued to struggle with my sighting and swimming straight. I consistantly swam wide to the right and had to bring my self back in between markers. I was getting around 10 yards of course to the right between sightings. Horrible performance. But I survived the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more, sight better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

Seemed like a bit of a run to my bike. I was tired, but pleased that I had finished the swim. Looked forward to the bike, since it was my strong suit. Oh how foolish I was.
No socks! Tank Top! GU! Took my time. I had to remind myself that I just wanted to finish.

place my bike in a rack near the bike out.
Bike
  • 1h 37m 17s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 15.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Wasn't prepared for how hilly the course was. I had brought some GU's and Cytomax along, which I must say worked pretty well for me. However, I really struggled on the hills. I went out fast and slowed quite a bit by the time that I got to the beginning of the first loop. I was passed by just about everyone going up hills. I played cat and mouse for a while with a few people. I would pass them on the flats and descents, and they would catch up on the climbs, eventually leaving me behind.
The climbs broke my heart. I really need to focus on losing some weight and spinning better up hills. However, I am very comfortable on descents and passed quite a few people, hitting 47 mph on the backside of the loop on my first lap. Ran out of Cytomax and water to early. By the end, I was running on fumes at the end of the bike portion. Legs ached and I felt exhausted and light headed.

Train on hills more. Sit and Spin better. Bring more water.
Transition 2
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Exhausted. Nearly fell getting out of clips. Staggered back to transition with my bike. Had a drink and took one more GU. Was happy to only have to run three two mile laps.
Run
  • 1h 12m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Words can not describe this experience. I had not seen the course before hand. Maybe if I had, I would not have left transition.
I started out slow and stayed that way. My legs felt very heavy and I shuffled along. I shuffled up the first hill at a snails pace. My legs were now very painful from the bike. I headed down and up the next hill. I was happy to see the water station manned by some very friendly and encouraging girls. Took some water. Lap seemed very long.
Second lap. I finished the first lap and crossed the timing mat out of transition, grabbing some gatorade at the aid station outside the bike corral, walked through water station. Kept walking. As I got around the corner, I saw that my wife and son were now sitting on the curb next to the car. Not wanting them to see me walk, I started to do my impression of running again. They waved, I groaned. As soon as they were out of sight I began walking. Tried shuffling up the hill, but had to walk. As I rounded the turn around at the top, I descended the hill with the grace of a three legged grizzly bear. Slowly shuffled to the next hill. Began to walk the hill. Volunteers at the water station were yelling to keep up the pace, keep moving. I was less happy to see them now. I thought maybe if they were ready to pass out from shere stupidity as I was they wouldn't be so perky. I felt like the fat kid in gym class being yelled at by the coach to get up the rope. Dumped water over my head. shuffled past the station. had to stop and walk again. I was really doubting my running ability. Wanted to quit.
Lap 3.) Let's not discuss lap three. I finished. Somehow.

Keep moving. Not give up. Run more. Train better.
Post race
Warm down:

Met my wife at the finish line. Walked around. Drank lots of water. Ate some animal crackers (yum).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gravity.

Event comments:

I finished! It was hell. I'll be back next year.

Last updated: 2010-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:21 | 1794 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 0/173
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Counter Clockwise swim consisting of 3 laps, must get out of water and cross timing mat between laps.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:37:17 | 25.5 miles | 15.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/4
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly, from beginning to end. A few, very few flats. An out and back with two loops at the end.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:12:04 | 06.21 miles | 11m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Performance: Bad
Course: Challenging, 3 lap course. 1 heart breaker of a hill, 1 slightly les painful hill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes