General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » California Newbie Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-21 3:35 PM

SoCal
Subject: California Newbie Triathlete

Hey folks.

I'm relatively new to triathlons, having only started doing them this year.  I have the Pasadena Triathlon (sprint) and the Strawberry Fields Triathlon (sprint) under my belt so far and am doing the Pacific Coast Triathlon (sprint) in September.

I'm looking to doing 4 or 5 triathlons next year and most likely ending the next year with two Olympic-length triathlons.  Also considering a 70.3 Ironman, but the only local one is in April 2011 (Oceanside) which may be a bit early, especially considering that I wouldn't even have done an Olympic-length triathlon yet.  Any thoughts on that? 

Longer term goal is to do a full Ironman in 2012.  Possibly half-marathon or a full marathon somewhere in between as a part of the training regimen (though in all honesty, I do not enjoy running but only put up with it because it's a part of the triathlon). 

I'd actually love to do a full Ironman at the end of 2011 (Tempe) but am not sure if that is being too ambitious. I'm in relatively good shape, especially as I've been training for the sprints for a while now (I think I am good enough to do a sprint off the couch, but would be hurting if I tried that with an Olympic).  Would love to hear some thoughts on this too!

Thanks, and I look forward to learning a lot from this site!

2010-07-21 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2995594

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: California Newbie Triathlete
Welcome to BT!

There is nothing set in stone that says you have to complete one distance to move to the next. However, it does help to have experience when moving to longer events. Just make sure your training is calibrated to the event you want to do. April is plenty of time to get ready for a 70.3 if that is something you would like to do.

This website has many many plans that will guide you to proper training for your goal distance...and if you have specific questions, the forums on this site are second to none in both acceptance and kindness as well as top level information.

Good luck to you and I'm sure I'll see you around as I have done both races you have!
2010-07-22 1:57 PM

SoCal

Thanks fastyellow. I've been browsing the site and looking at the training schedules actually and came across one I'm taking a close look at.  Only problem is I'm a little confused by some of the abbreviations they are using and cannot find a reference list of abreviations anywhere.

Specifically, I'm looking at this 20-week training schedule for HIM: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/halfim/preparing_for_your_first_half_ir.htm

And just looking at the Week 20 schedule, I'm confused about what "wu", "cd", "EBEH", "W" and "O" stand for. I'm sure there are others I'm not clear about too.  Am I just blind and unable to find the right link for abbreviations right now?

Also I have been looking for an answer to another simple question: If I'm doing a 70.3, should I buy a dedicated tri-bike? Right now, I think my carbon road bike is good enough, but I'm wondering if I step up my game to the HIM and hopefully IM later, I should probably get a real tri bike and not rely on my road bike (with aero bars).  Any thoughts on this? 

Thanks again, I can already tell this website is chock full of useful information and tips!

2010-07-26 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

violation - 2010-07-21 1:35 PM

Also considering a 70.3 Ironman, but the only local one is in April 2011 (Oceanside) which may be a bit early, especially considering that I wouldn't even have done an Olympic-length triathlon yet.  Any thoughts on that?

The Magic Mountain Man is held in October. It starts in Castaic and ends in Valencia.

2010-07-27 6:22 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Not sure where you live, there are plenty of halfs to choose from, maybe not as close but theres Silverman,Frogman,Wildflower,Big Kahuna,Magic Mountain Man,Oceanside.
CD is cool down,WU is warm up. Full Iron Mans are very expensive when its all said and done,hotel&clothes&lodging&entry&training,etc,FYI.... also they sell out extremely fast.

Edited by nevergivin 2010-07-27 6:23 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » California Newbie Triathlete Rss Feed