General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Help (Don Fink Competitive Program) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-21 10:40 PM

Subject: Training Plan Help (Don Fink Competitive Program)
For my first 2 ironmans in 04/05 I used a plan developed by a coach I had paid to create a 1 time plan for my wife and I.  I am now looking at the Don Fink Competitive program and have a question about lining it up with my work schedule.  I don't think either plan is necessarily better, I just wanted to try the Fink plan since it seems like a lot of people here are using it and it would be good for a change.

I am a firefighter so I work 1 24 hour shift on, then 2 days off, then another 24 hour shift, then 4 days off.  The schedule just repeats itself.  I want to create an 8 day week based on this schedule, so then instead of having Monday through Sunday weeks I have a week composed of my schedule (lines up with when the kids are home with me etc.)

So my question is, how do I line this up with Fink's plan?  One thought I have is to map the workouts from the book into my new week, and just stretch the plan out (30 - 8 day weeks instead of 30 - 7 day weeks in the plan).  Another option would be to add 1 more workout to keep the monthly volume more in line with his plan.  Here is how I mapped it so far (for the highest volume week, zones not listed):

Fink Plan:
Mon: rest
Tues: 1 hr swim, 1 hr run
Weds: 1 hr bike, 30 min run (brick)
Thurs: 1 hr swim, 1:30 bike
Fri: 1 hr swim, 1:30 run
Sat: 6 hr bike, 1 hr run (brick) - Long Bike session
Sun: 1:30 bike, 3 hr run (brick) - Long Run session

My Plan
Work1: 1 hr bike, 30 min run (brick)
Off: 1:30bike, 3 hr run (brick)
Off: 1 hr swim, 1 hr run
Work2: 1:30 bike
Off: 6 hr bike, 1hr run (brick)
Off: 1 hr swim, 1:30 run
Off: 1 hr swim, 1:30 run
Off: Rest

I had to rearrange some of the workouts, I plan on biking to work the morning of work and the day after.  Swimming would be impossible to fit in here.  I also want to add weights to this, thinking mostly on my 2 work days.  Is 2 days out of 8 enough to make progress in the weight room?  Right now I lift upper body only and that seems to do a ton for me in terms of injury prevention for my shoulders.

Thanks for any help!

Mike

2010-07-22 5:40 AM
in reply to: #2996373

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Training Plan Help (Don Fink Competitive Program)

I used the same plan last year and thought it worked good with my schedule of working three 24 hour shifts  out of 5 days  then 4 days off.  I just rearranged some of the workouts to work on off days from the firehouse.  I would think as long as you work in the necessary volume you'd be fine.  The only issue I see is that your making an all ready long plan in terms of weeks, even longer to over 34 weeks.  I know I was ready to be done and race at the end.

Once things ramped up the weightlifting went out the window for me.  Our station doesn't have the best weight equipment and off duty days were filled with S, B and R, so after getting up early to get workouts in a nap seemed more in order in the late afternoon if time permitted to aid in recovery in case we had a busy night with little rest.

FYI  The Fink plan workouts on Sunday are not a brick workout, just the ones listed on Wed and Sat are actually bricks.  Sundays work can be spread out.  With family and life there were times I just made sure to get the run in.  Another thing about the long run and our schedules is that there were weeks I'd move the long run a couple of days before or after the long ride, instead of always being on the day after the long ride so the legs were fresher.  It was nice to do long runs on some occasions with fresher legs and with our days it was just necessary as doing a long arse trainer ride or run on the treadmill at work would be kinda of tough.

Good luck! 

2010-07-22 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2996547

Thanks Rottie, that is a lot of help.  I had the same concern about stretching the plan out.  My original plan had been to race a half this summer, then take 3 months to hit weights, and then begin IM training.  The HIM I chose is at the end of September and 30 weeks out from CDA is December (34 weeks would then be beginning of November).  Not a lot of time to hit the weights.  We have an okay weight room at the station, but those days are really packed with riding to work and then doing either a long run or a long ride after shift.  So I am not sure if I should just ditch the HIM and start weights now.  The HIM is just for fun and truthfully I am might be a bit undertrained (biking is great but my run volume might not be there)

thanks again,

Mike
2010-07-22 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2997333

Master
, California
I actually like that you split up your bricks.  I usually set up my plan so I either have a rest day or a very light workout before a long run day.  Helps prevent injury.
2010-07-22 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I used Don Fink's plan to train for IMFL09 and felt very prepared.  I shuffled weekly workouts around to fit my schedule and made sure to get in all of the hours and volume.  I tried to respect the integrity and purpose of workouts when moving them around, but other than that, I did what I had to do.  Good luck!
2010-07-23 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Mike you may want to do some searches on weightlifting threads on BT and even over at Slowtwitch.  You'll have plenty of reading.  I know with our jobs doing some lifting is kinda of necessary, but to consider making progress in the weight room while IM training seems a bit counterproductive.  To get better at the S, B, R, you need to spend time doing them.

Since your new and don't have any history of your workouts or races, I'd say doing a HIM provided you've been training for awhile and could follow a good plan would be way more beneficial for your IM dream then a few months of weights. 

2010-07-23 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3000282

Rottie - my background is that I have done IMCDA twice, and then have been racing on and off the last 3 years.  Starting to think about it more, I know I need to at least lift upper body - I find that my shoulders stay injury free when I lift.  I agree with your idea that lifting while doing IM training might be counterproductive.  I guess I can lift right now with the half training, and then just see what happens when I start training for IM.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike
2010-07-23 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Sorry Mike, your an old veteran at the IM distance I should be seeking out advice from you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Help (Don Fink Competitive Program) Rss Feed