United States
Prairie Du Chien Wrestling
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 16/36
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Once again, I had to work until midnight the night before a race. However, this time it was a local race. The innagural Black Hawk Challenge in Prairie Du Chien, which was only a 40 min. drive. I arrived early and registered and racked my bike.
There was a lot of people there, most of which were volunteers, who actually out numbered the athletes. The setting was amazing, right on the Mississippi River in the heart of bluff country. The swag bag was probably the finest I have ever gotten at a Sprint Tri, complete with a Camo hat from Cabela's!
Saw a few old friends and talked a while.
A small (but awesome) race was exactly what I needed following my debacle at the Wisconsin Triterium OLY in Verona.
Event warmup:

Ran the bicycle through the gears and spun for a couple of miles. Walked down to the water and got acclimated.
Swim
  • 09m 38s
  • 437 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim is in a marina, no current. Volunteers were using leaf blowers to clear the are of any gravel or debris between the start and transition, which I thought was awesome.
The entire group of men swam at once, 23 of us. I was able to survive the initial beating of arams and legs as we swam to slightly to the left around a pier running parallel to the start, which was a somewhat narrow gap. After clearing the pier, the group opened up. I took one hell of a line, as I drift to the right pretty bad. However, since this was a clockwise swim I hugged the bouys and swam pretty strong (for me). I was sixth out of the water and felt pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

swim faster, not swallow marina water (fishy).
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Once again, my race number ripped off as I struggled to get my shirt on over my head quickly. I tried to pin it back on, but couldn't do it in a hurry. Probably wasted 30 seconds on it, before giving up.
I struggled to get my bike shoes on, as the middle velcro strap was caught stuck. Out I went.

Find my race belt!
Bike
  • 49m 59s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Very fast flat start. It was actually a really nice course through PDC and along the river, up downtown, and back out. But then there is the climb. Around mile seven, you turn left and head west up and out of the river valley. It is a pretty significant climb and I have never been in a race with such a challenging hill. In comparision, the hills at the triterium were nothing. I saw a lot of people walking up the hill. I wanted to, believe me. But, I against it on the principle of it. I still struggle with climbing, but was besides the maybe 3 elite athletes there, everyone was struggling. All in all it was an average performance.

Prepare for the hill better. For the record, I have to drop my car into third when going up it. Very steep.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

had to pin my race number on. I also took a 5 second break to finish the rest of my cytomax in my bottle.

race belt.
Run
  • 31m 48s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good for the first 200 yards, then I got the most painful cramps in my quads. High on the left and low on the right. I couldn't run, and stood on the side of the road for a minute stretching. I then limped the next mile and a half. About 100 yards after the turn around the cramps started to clear and I started to do the big guy shuffle. Finished strong, but very dissapointed.

More water, not go so hard on the climb on the bike leg.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked aroudn for a few minutes. Gatorade, Cookies, Watermelon, and Subway. great Post Race meal.

Event comments:

Awesome race, well organized. I could not believe how many people showed up to watch and cheer us on. It was a great morning. Well done, RD!

I placed in my division, as small as it was. But, I took my place medal knowing I left nothing out on the course and fought through the worst cramps I've had to date. Left feeling good. I needed that. Looking forward to castle rock.

Last updated: 2010-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:38 | 437 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 9/36
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Clockwise, Out and Back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:59 | 15 miles | 18.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 13/36
Wind: Some
Course: Fast and flat for the first 7 miles, then a 3 mile long heartbreaker of a steep hill, a quick descent and flat to the finish.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:48 | 03.2 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 30/36
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat, but very picturesque course through river bottom. Out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes