HFP Racing
HOT!F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 11m 36s
Overall Rank = 1509/1678
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4 and felt great...felt ready to go! Had a banana (cutting it up seemed to help it go down easier), a half of bagel with peanut butter and a myoplex drink.

Got to transition around 5:10 and got body marked and brought everything into transition. Love that I was in the same area as RTP and KimK...helps keep me relaxed when I have some peeps nearby to chat with.

Got my bottles filled....set up my transition area relatively smoothly...glad I grabbed those bags from the hotel, one for bike stuff and one for run stuff, because even though it wasn't raining yet...it was still a little ominous looking out there.

Walked the transition area so I knew where I would be going when I came in from the swim, and then how to get out for the run.

Brought my pump to fill up the tires and I walked it back up to my car but when I got to the top of the hill, I realized I forgot my keys, so I just stashed it under car (but it wouldn't stay there...someone stole it...booo!)

Had a bunch of water and some FP Gatorade to drink. Saw Jim Fergus (hs friend) in transition...had no idea he was volunteering...cool.

As I was putting my GU flask into the contraption, I noticed the velcro patch had fallen off...CRAP. So, I just ended up taping it...will probably have to just shove it in the back of my bike shorts after I eat it on the bike...no worries!
Event warmup:

Hung out in the grass area by porta potties and did PT exercises and stretch...ran into David Clough...wished him well...

Long walk down to swim start...

Got wetsuit on (as I was doing so, friend of mine who I ride with sometimes came walking up to me...he gave me some last minute pointers) and then I got in and got comfy with the water...swam around for a couple minutes to get acclamated.

As I was coming out, Tall tri Dad is there "MIAMI With Numbers..." and a huge hug from him...I love my donkey peeps!
Swim
  • 59m 41s
  • 1931 meters
  • 03m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

I knew this was going to be the hardest part of the day going into this race...(little did I know what would happen later).

I felt extremely relaxed....but my issues today were...I swam really zigazgaroo and just couldn't get a good rhthym going in there...the chop got pretty bad at points...and what the hell with the kids doing donuts on the jetskis towards the end? I know I am slow, and some people might think my effort doesn't look like much, but I was trying really hard, and they weren't making it any easier at the end there. And it smelled like gasoline really bad in some parts.

Came out of the swim and did the loooong run back to transition, where I saw Jenny (sister in law...which I had NO idea she was going to be there that early) and is that....yep, Trixie...WTF I thought to myself...thought about her a lot on the bike, hoping she was ok. She told me how nervous she was, so I figured today just wasn't it for her....sucks.
What would you do differently?:

Just have to keep practicing...one of these days...I have to speed up eventually.

Giving myself a below average rating because I very easily could have been closer to 50 minutes...
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

I don't know why, maybe it's the new cleat/pedal combo, but I have a hard time sometimes clipping my left foot in...and when it's a race, and you've got that huge hill in front of you, doesn't make it any easier!

Clip in faster...I seriously thought I might bite it at one point...with all those people on the hill...man, that would have been funny.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

WOW...was this fun!!! All the training I did really paid off as I didn't even feel like I was going all that fast and yet, I would look down and be in the 22 mph range...so that's so nice to know that all that biking really worked.

Came up to RTP a couple miles in and joked with him about the sucky swim...we had a laugh. He came up behind me again a little later when I was trying to get my GU flask off the bike...loved having so many people I know out here!

At the first aid station, I got water for the front. Didn't need sports drink yet, so I was good there. I was a little nervous never having done the whole aid station on the bike, but it was totally fine...thanked the volunteers as I kept going.

Saw Jen and Jenny at the light on 20 on my way out...that was fun...gave them a thumbs up and a smile...and then I saw Marc about 1 mile after that, so that was nice.

It was around this time that I saw a sign for the 20 mile mark, and I noticed, that my computer was reading that I was further than that...great...when they replaced the battery in my cateye, I don't think they set it right for 650 tired...seriously...one more thing that Get a Grip has done to annoy me...the list is so long by now....whatevs...nothing I could do about it now...

Next aid station seemed like it was REALLLLLY far away...was on the frontage road, and by then, I was out of everything and very thirsty...so I got a fruit punch sports drink and another water and I was on my way. FP sportsdrink was totally warm, but it was ok. I just wish the drinks could have been colder!

Next came time to get back on 20 around mile 40, and around that time I noticed, "Hmmm...it sure is getting dark out...I really hope it blows over..." and BAM! The skies opened up and I was riding on a highway, with cars zipping my in the next lane in a total downpour...with cross winds...that made me have to hold onto Betty for DEAR LIFE! I lost count of how many times I almost blew off my bike. What really sucks...is before this, I noticed that my avg. was holding at around 19.4...I was forced to slow down so much to avoid an accident...BOOO!!!

After that rain storm, the sun came out, and it felt like I was riding in a hair dryer...the air got really hot and sticky....if it doesn't cloud back over, this is going to make for a very interesting run I thought.

Another aid station around mile 50, and I got another water and again thanked the volunteers for all their help...

When I made the right onto main, I was so happy to know I was almost done...that road really sucks though, and by then, all that bumpity bump, I just wanted to be off. Did a lot of stretching on the road back in to help prepare me for the final leg. Saw all the runners and was kind of wishing I was with them, because it felt like a sauna by the time I made the right back onto Barker to come in...

Got the feet out and top and ready to hop off!

Had all 5 gu's on the bike, and the Honey Stinger chews too...3 bottles of water and 2 sports drink (don't think I drank even 1/2 of that second one though...it was so warm, tasted icky!)

Drink more of the sports drink. Don't slow down so much on turns...have to work on that.

Overall very happy with bike...definately the best leg of the day.
Transition 2
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Was talking to KimK who was just down from me in the same row when I got there...

Had to change socks (glad I brought that second pair) due to the terrential DOWNPOUR that I just survived.

Nothing...
Run
  • 3h 02m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Brutal. Absolutely gut wrenching. A total disaster. Heartbreaking. These are some of the terms that come to my mind when I think of this run. Bet nobody could tell that I used to be a really good, competitive, successful high school runner who has been running for 23 years now out there by that time. HOLY SHIT! Pardon my French, but that was a second half of a half marathon run my stomach wanted ABSOLUTELY NO PART OF! Starting so late I'm sure didn't help at all....

Checking back over my mile splits, I was in no hurry even in the beginning...I think I was playing it really conservative...walking through all of the aid stations drinking water, sports drink, ice, etc. Dumped a water on my head, had them splash my back...it felt good...really liked that so many peoople had sprinklers out too...the spectators were awesome...

Got back to the turnaround, and by this point...I didn't feel great, but I was still running...saw Jen, and Dad and Deanna were there now too (they actually were at the start of the run so that was nice) which was a nice distration. Tall tri Dad was there once again to cheer me on and see how I was doing...think I told him that I felt like hell...funny, I told my sister I was ok, which might have not been the 100% truth, and told my peeps how I really felt...ha! Tall tri was an AWESOME cheerleader all day!

By now, I was doing the walk/run thing up the hill and when I got to the top of the 2nd hill, I thought, "Hmm, that orange slice sure looks good" So I put it in my mouth, and right away, NOPE! Spit it out...tried a powergel too, had some of it..but it was hot, and totally liquid...was not good! Felt my stomach burning around the same time so I just stuck with liquids...and all of a sudden...I felt like I might get sick and then there came the stomach cramping (was hoping that just meant I had to make a pit stop, but no, nothing happened to "relieve" any of that), so off I went...EVERY single time I tried to run, I got the feeling I get right before I throw up, where my mouth feels like it's watering and my jaw starts to tremble, so I ended up walking...and walking...and walking...think I walked most of the 2nd part of the race. Saw trainergirlmi and I think she could tell I was struggling...and here she comes, running along, after everything she has had to endure, I am in such awe...she is a true rockstar. Walked all the way to that last turnaround...and the lake was smelling like fish, and I think I gagged...please don't throw up is all I could think. Looked up to the sky and asked mom to help me get through to the finish...was crying, and knew I was going to be so far off the time I wanted, I felt so defeated. Thought to myself...here I go to all this therapy for my stomach muscle to not flare up in my big race, and now I can't even put it to the test because I am walking...what a joke...

Got more water at this stop since the drink/cola was making me nauseated just thinking about it...when I did try to drink the sports drink, and sometimes with the water, I just had to put it in my mouth and spit it out...my stomach was rejecting everything (not throwing up, just felt like I would have, made my stomach burn) and I saw RTP...told him I was hurting, and he cracked a smile and said he'd be right back...what a doll...he came up and we walked some...didn't even talk all that much, but just having him by my side for that little while, made me feel better. He said he was off to the finish and would make sure I got there...he'll be screaming for me...he's such a doll.

By mile 11 I was so sick of walking that I tried to run...and I did a run, little walk for the rest of the way...talked to some others who were struggling...and when I got to mile 12, I said I wouldn't walk anymore...I can do this last mile, I don't care how slow, I will run it. My feet now had absolutely started to throb...my orthotics felt like they were bricks...really, really hurt.

Finally got to the bottom of the hill and started seeing everyone, and hearing the finish line, and I lost it...totally started crying...a little of happiness...a little disapointed, and a lot relieved that I didn't give up and I FINISHED MY FIRST 70.3!!!!

Thank God...I just want out of the sun....

This my friends...is the MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION that I haven't stopped thinking about since the race.

Oh, also getting a terrible head cold shortly after the race didn't help...wonder if that could have played a part into my feeling like complete ass???

Being the third to last wave too, and not starting my run until 12:15 DID NOT help matters any!!

Hmmmmm?????
Post race
Warm down:

Thought about going to medical tent, as I KNOW I should have, but to be honest, I just wanted out of the sun, I wanted to be around my family, and I really wanted to try to drink my ICE COLD Diet Pepsi...and, I really just wanted to get my stuff and go home.

Got my finisher shirt and hat...but no medal...they ran out....and no, I am not kidding. Apparently they will mail it to me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: choppiness and not being able to find a good rhythm.
Bike: rainstorm
Run: stomach nausea/burning

Event comments:

All I can think is...this sure was a good learning experience.

I learned that I really am one tough cookie to be able to get through that run...and that all the training in the world can't prevent your stomach from getting sick.

I learned that the donks are the best group around, and they will be your biggest supporters and help you get to that finish line, and when you do...they will scream like crazy!

I learned that my family/friends are the greatest source of strength when you feel like you just want to die...

I learned how to push my body to limits I was unsure of before...

I learned that even though I was no where near my goal time, I am very proud of myself for training hard, and finishing. (Medal or no medal...ha!)

This was a great race, and I think I would have had a great day and a pretty good overall time had my stomach not gone to hell in a handbasket.

Can't wait to do it all over again next year...

Wait, maybe I should have gone to the med tent to get my head checked! HA! :)

I owe a HUGE thank you to so many people, and if I forget you, I am so sorry!!!

DJ Davey...Ray Town Pete...KimK....Tall Tri Dad...Trainergirlmi...Whizzzz...Schmize...Trixie...AngieF02...my friends and family, and whoever else I missed! You guys are the best!!!

Last updated: 2010-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:59:41 | 1931 meters | 03m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1678
Performance: Below average
Suit: L/S Blue Seventy (rental from FF)
Course: A BIG C...out to turn buoy, turn right, go allllllll the way down, turn right and head into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:02 | 56 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back along country roads/some parts on busier highways.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:02:07 | 13.1 miles | 13m 54s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Double loop
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %A lot
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-22 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine

2010-07-22 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2997739

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine
Congrats on Finishing your first HIM.  It sure was a hot one. 
Kelly
2010-07-22 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Congrats on knocking out your first HIM!!  I think a number of us are looking forward to doing it a little differently next year!
2010-07-22 1:08 PM

User image

over a barrier
Congrats on the first 70.3 race and 'gutting' it out, pardon the pun. The weather has been odd the last couple of years at Racine.

By your description of the run, it sounds like you took in too many calories on the bike and by the time the run started you're body wanted no part of any more sugar.

500 Calories of Gels
160 in Honey chews
250-300+ on the Sports drink. Not Sure what was on course. 300 would be a bottle and halfish of Gatoraide endurance.

That's a lot of calories especially when you consider you'll be taking in more during the run. Experiment will less during training and see if that helps. Something to think about for the next one....
2010-07-22 1:34 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Nice job sticking with it and finishing.  That heat was just brutal.  Congrats

2010-07-22 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Way to stick it out.  Awesome job!

2010-07-22 6:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome job Amy!  Great to finish!!!!  Congrats!
2010-07-22 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Way to stick it out and finish in the awful heat.  Glad you stuck with it and fought through the pain.  
2010-07-22 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin

Epic Battle Amy!

Forgot to mention in my RR that before the final turn around a lady asked my if "I was yelling at my wife" I didn't know what she was talking about and said "yeah" , then it took me a while but she was talking about you around 10 and not Paula at mile 6.

Guess that makes you my unofficial " IM tri wife" 

You were so tough that day and congrats on your 1st HIM.

2010-07-23 5:37 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Congratulations on perservering and finishing that first HIM!  It was tough out there and you could have given up with all you had to endure...you're one tough cookie.
2010-07-23 6:34 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Nice Job Amy- way to stick it out!

I am guessing you had way too much on the bike...pm me if you want

2010-07-23 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran

Way to stick with it in brutal conditions and finish strong!! I know a lot of us are already looking forward to next years race for some payback.

2010-07-23 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Wow.  

Your race report is inspiring. Good job.

Put that 1/2 Iron sticker on your car window. You earned it.

FIDO-    A saying from my time in the army.   F--- It Drive On!

You did.

Kevin
2010-07-23 6:07 PM

User image

Regular
Way to stick it out.
2010-07-24 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
You are a TOUGH COOKIE!!!! Way to go girlfriend!!! It was a brutal day and you totally pulled it off, great job!!!   Wink
2010-07-25 5:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Congrats on your first 70.3!!! Sorry that run was so brutal. Way to finish!

2011-05-10 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Saw your posts referencing this race in the 2011 Racine thread and had to come read it Wow, what a race...... You are trooper for making it through that brutal run!!!! This year will be MUCH better!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed