General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wrenches: Installing TT shifters on new bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-22 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Wrenches: Installing TT shifters on new bars
I am fairly mechanically inclined and happen to have the day off tomorrow so I am thinking of putting on my new aero bars Since I currently have bar end shifters, anything I need to know, or have a step by step guide to doing it?  Just want to make sure I do not tear it apart and not be able to get it back together correctly.  

Any special tools needed?, am I alright to reuse the cable, I am a ways from needing to replace the cables since the bike is still quite new.  

Now on a P2, how much could you typically take off the cable housing to shorten it up without going too short.  I am not running any spacers.

When routing the cables, I know there is typically a hole on the underside of the bar to let the cable exit.  Like some of the Felt bikes offer with the integrated bars, would it be worth routing the cables out of the back of the bar by tapping through the plastic caps on the rear of the bar to keep the lines cleaner? 

2010-07-22 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2999002

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Wrenches: Installing TT shifters on new bars
It's pretty easy. If you have Shimano you use a large flat head screw drive to remove the shifter, then a 5mm (if I remember right) hex to release the expansion bolt in the bar. As long as the bolt comes out (I've had one stay in before), that's it. Slide it off and good to go. For SRAM shifter's it's much the same put you use a 4mm hex key to remove the shifter instead of a flat head screw driver.

Mind the indexing on the right side, easy to mess this up if you don't watch how the pieces fit together. The left side is friction, so it's simpler.

Current cable should be fine. You'll need to remove it and as long as there is enough length left when you put things back together, no worries.

Not sure on the housing length.

I don't bother going thru the bar and out the rear. It looks tidy and neat, but on my bike it raises the exit point and pushes further back making routing to the frame with tighter bends. I just go down the bar and start to head to the frame under the base bar.
2010-07-23 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
jvanis - 2010-07-22 8:57 PM I am fairly mechanically inclined and happen to have the day off tomorrow so I am thinking of putting on my new aero bars Since I currently have bar end shifters, anything I need to know, or have a step by step guide to doing it?  Just want to make sure I do not tear it apart and not be able to get it back together correctly. 

As above... try to leave the RD shifter together as you take it apart (I know...sounds counter-intuitive) it's not a big deal if it falls apart... it will only be flush when put together correctly so trial and error will get it back right.

Any special tools needed?, am I alright to reuse the cable, I am a ways from needing to replace the cables since the bike is still quite new. 

While I was at it, new cables wouldn't hurt. Housing *should* be good unless it's visibly worn looking

Now on a P2, how much could you typically take off the cable housing to shorten it up without going too short.  I am not running any spacers.

Turn your bike to 3 / 9 o clock. That amount of cable (obviously, the stretched side) is how much you need to turn the front of your bike to 3/9. Now... depending on how comfy you are with the following, I think you could pretty safely cut it to up to 10/2... others will disagree however. It's a judgement call, It's never come up for me being to short (when do you really turn your cockpit that far?)
Just remember, measure twice, stop, measure again, cut.

When routing the cables, I know there is typically a hole on the underside of the bar to let the cable exit.  Like some of the Felt bikes offer with the integrated bars, would it be worth routing the cables out of the back of the bar by tapping through the plastic caps on the rear of the bar to keep the lines cleaner? 

That's what I do. What will it save you in time? Not much, but hey, it's free and easy. NOTE: you may have to have more or less cable housing when you route it this way.
2010-07-23 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
One note, when I tried to do this for my bike I ended up bailing the first time.  Turns out that the cables were cut on the short side and would not reach when I put them on the aero's. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wrenches: Installing TT shifters on new bars Rss Feed