Running Fit
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 11s
Overall Rank = 25/465
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition. I decided to take a slightly different strategy to this race. I went for a quick 3 mile bike really quite slow just to make sure all the gears were shifting correctly. I knew from the last time that I raced this course that I would use the entire range of my cassette, and I really missed the fastest gear last time. That was good. Went for a quick jog, and then..... went for a swim. I got my open water freakout out of the way before the race even started! This was instrumental to my better (not great) swim. Continued to drink water and stretched out.
Event warmup:

See above!
Swim
  • 15m 24s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

I mentally prepared for this pretty well. I started way way way off to the left (which was actually the shortest distance...and the most uncrowded because it was the farthest from shore) and caught a pretty sweet tow to the first bouy. I convinced that slow and steady would get me there, build up the speed as I got comfortable. This helped alot and before I knew it, I was at the farthest bouy. I also started breathing every two strokes to prevent going into O2 debt, which doesnt help me stay calm. I can swim bilaterally in the pool, but open water...forget about it.

Went for the home stretch and reminded my self just to keep the heart rate under control. Was able to swim freestyle the whole way. The last 100 yards, increased the leg kicking to get some blood in them for the bike, and swam until I felt the ground. Stood up and ran into transition.
What would you do differently?:

More swim practice. 15 minutes is nice, but I need to be down to about 11-12 to make up some serious time. I would like to average 1:30/100 yards.
Transition 1
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Not much to say here, a 43 second stop isnt to bad. Got out of the water, ran to the bike while taking off goggles and cap, and took off with my bike. I did commit a transition oops. I reversed my sunglasses and my helmet, so it was just a little different than I am used to. The biggest killer was right after the mount line the bike path was WAY to narrow. I got stuck behind someone doing about 10 mph when I would normally be over 20 by then. I understand that the division was necessary, but so narrow that only one bike per side can fit? I dont know.

Set up correctly.... I dont know how much faster I can go. Maybe 5 seconds if I pushed it...
Bike
  • 31m 38s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 23.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride, continued a good cadence the whole way. Fairly uneventful. I was consciencly holding back to prevent blowing up for the run though. I could have pushed the pace to at least a 24 mph average. Enjoyed some great racing with a guy on a green Specialized who traded with me the entire time. There were some interesting moments with a couple of cars on the course though. I passed one of the cars on its right side because they were to scared to go passed anyone on a bike. Granted, I was going above the speed limit...but I actually dont know the proper procedure for this. :Shrug:. The only other complaint I had was there was a group of roadies riding side by side, taking up at least half the lane. I know the course isnt closed, but when you are getting passed regularly, get out of the way for a race. I also didnt lose my water bottle over the railroad tracks this time! haha. Got back to the transition zone and did a flying dismount.

Top speed 34.9 :)

Not much! Continue training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Got to the dismount line and did a flying dismount right at the line and flew by the guy that I had been trading with. (green specialized guy) Went to the rack and took off my helmet and slipped on my running shoes. This was my first race with elastic laces and I loved them. Much easier. Took off running.

Not drop my helmet onto someone elses spot. I had to move it after I did that.
Run
  • 21m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

mile 1: 7:09
mile 2: 6:43
Mile 3+.1: 7:49

Pretty happy with this effort considering my lack of training. Got to keep running with Green specialized guy the entire race, even though he pulled ahead from mile 2 on. Passed a women who was 54 I think and she was kicking butt! She stuck with me for a good 1/4 mile after I passed her! wow! I think at the first aid station I drank a little to much and got a slight side cramp, but pushed through it. The guy at the one mile mark had music going, and that was cool, and supposedly I saw some BT members volunteering...sorry, i was a little occupied.

Finished off, right over the 1:10 mark. I probably should have pushed the last 1/4 mile a little bit to get into the 1:09's :)

More training.... Not the 19:00 that I hope to be running....
Post race
Warm down:

water.....and walk around. Talk with green specialized guy about the race (I just cant remember his name for the life of me).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Serious lack of training... I have slowly started establishing routes to ride run and swim, But not nearly to the extent I was able to in Florida.

Event comments:

Great race this time, better organized and better run! Lots of volunteers too!

Last updated: 2010-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:24 | 880 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 105/465
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Counterclockwise around Kent Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:38 | 12.4 miles | 23.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 13/465
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A psudo out-and-back along the road at island lakes state rec area. My bike computer said the Course was only 12.03 miles, but hey whatever.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good