General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri, is everybody this scared?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-23 2:18 PM

User image

Subject: First tri, is everybody this scared?!

I am freaking out.. first tri is on Sunday. Any tips for pre-race nerves?!

http://egg-goes-healthy.blogspot.com/2010/07/first-time-nerves.html

2010-07-23 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3000733

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: First tri, is everybody this scared?!
once you get there find someone who is more nervious than you and it will calm you down. That always works for me. And once you start the swim  a calm will come over because at that point there is no more for to do but get to the finish
2010-07-23 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3000740

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Nope!  But many others will be.  I spend my pre-swim time calming others down.

Just do your race!
2010-07-23 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
I was somewhat freaked out. But, then I got focused on trying to figure out what I had to do to set up my space, get numbered, consider going to the port-o-potty etc, that the remaining time just flew by. I also took some comfort in listening to some of the comments by other first timers. That made me feel not so alone. My favorite was hearing one person say that she couldn't wait for the tri to be over so she could go back to sitting on the couch on weekend mornings. I figured after that, I'd probably be ok!
2010-07-23 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3000740

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
BuckHamilton - 2010-07-23 12:20 PM once you get there find someone who is more nervious than you and it will calm you down. That always works for me. And once you start the swim  a calm will come over because at that point there is no more for to do but get to the finish

Yeah, you're only nervous until the starting gun goes off.
2010-07-23 2:35 PM

User image

Good to hear so many of you say that a "calm" comes over you.. I'm looking forward to that!

2010-07-23 2:38 PM

User image

Regular
Nashville
...deep breaths, get in your "zone", and don't worry about anybody else. Race your own race. 
2010-07-23 2:39 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

As mentioned before, the nerves usually go away once the swim starts.

I was nervous before my first race, a more experienced racer (who was setting up next to me) must have noticed my nerves and offered me a piece of gum. Having gum to chew on calmed me down enough to stay focused until the start. I try to bring a pack of sugar free mint gum to every race, the chewing keeps me relaxed and I make sure to offer a piece to the racers around me.  

Good luck and have a great race.

2010-07-23 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
eggletina - 2010-07-23 2:18 PM

I am freaking out.. first tri is on Sunday. Any tips for pre-race nerves?!

http://egg-goes-healthy.blogspot.com/2010/07/first-time-nerves.html

What worked for me last Sunday ( my 1st) was when I picked up my packet the day before and I saw the swim course. A calm came over me--because believe me, I was freaking, and then that morning, I was so calm my girlfriends kept asking, "are you ok"?...I swam & stayed calm the whole way...focus & repeat...Conceive it, believe it, achieve it!! Good Luck!!
Patti
2010-07-23 2:42 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Totally normal. As for the "calm"... Well, in my first race, I don't think that "calm" hit me until half-way through the run.
2010-07-23 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
I think it's good to be nervous before-hand. You will calm down once you are racing. But I wouldn't expect to any time before Smile.
 Remember to have fun!
Good luck on your first race! 

2010-07-23 3:02 PM

User image

Rock Springs, Wyoming
why would anyone be scared. take up the challenge. isnt that why you trained for and entered triathlon.  
2010-07-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3000845

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

More often than not.  ALWAYS at a new distance.

This Sunday as I waited for my half ironman to start I actually burst into tears.  I am a 33 year old woman, ferchrissakes!

But, I got into the water and spent a few minutes on my own calming down and then executed my plan.   I think that moment or two in the water, alone, visualizing the swim (and the race) is INVALUABLE.  If you spend the whole time talking to your friends/fam/racers about your nerves, you get more worked up.

Good luck!

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-07-23 3:05 PM
2010-07-23 3:05 PM

User image

Pro
I read your blog post and you've got a lot of good questions.  And- you've got a couple days to ask around and figure these things out.  You'll be fine.  Or- at least once you get racing you'll forget about being scared.  You'll be thinking more about pacing yourself.

I love the photo of you sitting in front of all your tri gear.  So- it looks like you're getting  your stuff together early.  Good going.  You don't want to be worried about whether you forgot your goggles at 5am the morning of the race. 

I'll try and answer the questions you posed in your blog:

1.  Get to the race early so you can leisurely pick a spot and set up your little area with your goodies.
2.  Bring your pump with you in the car, and pump up your tyres in the parking lot. 
3.  If you have good wicking running/cycling socks, one pair will do.  Wear ones that slip on easily and are comfortable when wet.  I assume you've run on rainy days?
4.  No- you don't need to dry off when you get out of the pool. You can if you want to, but it just takes extra time.  But yes-  bring a towel.  Most people put a towel down by their bikes and wipe the dirt from their feet before putting on their cycling shoes.  The more colorful the towel, the easier it will be for you to find it in the fray.
5.  Eating.  I'd suggest two bottles on the bike.  One with H20 and the other with sports drink.  So- there's 100 calories in the bottle.  You probably won't need to drink 40oz, but better to have too much than too little.  Also- it will be there for you at race end.  You could leave a gel for yourself at T1 and shove it in a pocket, or tape it to your bike.
6. Yes- put elastic laces in your sneakers.  You'll need to run with them and adjust them.  Do that today- it wont' take long, but you do need to do this.
7.  Yes- you can swim in your tri suit.  That's what they're made for.  As for whether you need a sports bra... I'll let you figure that out yourself.  But a short run with your new tri suit (wet) will give you everything you need to know.  Yes- you can run in your tri suit.  It won't feel like running in wet cycling shorts. 
8.  No- you don't need another pair of shoes to run from the pool to T1.  You run barefoot.  If it's a well managed race- the running area should be swept and fairly clear of pointy debris.
9.  Tiny lycra suit in front of crowds?  You're an athlete- a competitor!  A person to be feared, not a squeamish wall flower.  You won't look vulnerable as you're racing.  Plus- you'll be moving really fast (I hope).  Bring a t-shirt and shorts along in your bag to put on afterwards for hanging around.
10.  you don't NEED to wear bike gloves, but they're a nice safety feature.  Velcro them onto your handlebars and put them on after you get going.  If you remember to take them off at the end, find.  If not- you won't be the first athlete that has run with their bike gloves still on (or their helmet )
11.  Sunscreen:  For just a sprint Tri that's held in the morning- you won't be out long enough for it to matter.  ignore the sunscreen for this weekend.  Throw some in your bag for after the race.  You could also bring a hat for afterwards

Mostly:  Have fun.  You'll be fine. 

2010-07-23 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
A llittle bit of nerves is good for me (from past sports experience)...just make sure to get a good night's sleep, calm down at the swim, and trust your training the rest of the way.  Everything works itself out in the race because of the competitive atmosphere and the extra motivation.
2010-07-23 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
For me, I wasn't overly nervous going in.  I felt well prepared, I knew what I was doing, and I was able to do it.  But when the RD announced that there was a minute until my wave took off, that's when I thought "WTH did I get myself into?"  Be prepared for that thought, but then, once the swim starts, just focus on the race, and you'll forget about all the nerves, and you'll think you were silly for even letting them come to you.  

I am 2 weeks out from my second race, and posts like these are already getting my excitement up!  Kick some serious @$$ this weekend.  You'll do great! 

2010-07-23 3:18 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I am always nervous the morning of a race! Once the gun goes off and you get moving in the water, the nerves fade away.

Enjoy it --- if someone is going with you, have them take lots of photos

Oh, and don't look at your watch/ stop your watch at the finish line -- look up and SMILE for a great finisher photo.

HAVE FUN!
2010-07-23 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport News
Pretty much every race, Tri, Run, Bike, Du,  I have some nevousness.  Not nearly as bad as my first Tri but it's pretty much normal. 
Just as posted above give yourself plenty of time to get there, set up, warm up, check out the Transition entrance and exits and hang out with your fellow triathletes.  Everyone is usually pretty chatty at the transition and start line which helps the nerves. 
Once the swim starts you may feel some anxiety when you get into your swim.  Just remember your training, slow your stroke rate down, catch your breath then start ramping back up again and have a good strong swim!  You will feel great once you get through transition and out on the bike!  And even better when you cross the line!

Have A Great Race!
2010-07-23 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3000898

User image

Veteran
Newport News

Oh, and don't look at your watch/ stop your watch at the finish line -- look up and SMILE for a great finisher photo.

X2 !!!!
2010-07-23 3:41 PM

My 1st tri is coming up on Aug 8th. I am mixed between excited and scared s***less about what I've got myself into!! 
Last weekend I cycled the entire bike course at 5am (except for the start/finish line). This gave me a huge feeling of calm as I had been wondering what it would be like. Now I know - if you have time to do this it would be helpful I think. I also tried to note where the huge potholes were and how tight the bends are that you don't even notice in a car.

On the bra issue - I'm stuck on this too.  I have a fantastic Enell bra and can't run without it - but I don't want to swim in it (coz it will look daft under a TYR strappy costume!!). So my plan is to staple two large towels together, with a head hole (like a poncho) and slip my swimmy top off and put bra on while under the towel poncho at T1.  Planning to practice this while wet this weekend.

Other than that - I have no experience to be able to offer advice. Keep calm, visualize and don't talk too much to other newbies once you get there - stay quiet and focused.

Wishing you lots of luck - post how you got on after the event.
2010-07-23 4:01 PM

User image

Morey, thanks for all those tips - it's the small, stupid questions that get in the way!!

Lynda, I sure will. Would love to know how the stapling two towels together works out for you too?! The sports bra issue is a tough one. I think I'll be uncomfortable wearing a dreched through sports bra on the bike and run, plus it just does not look good under the suit either haha!

2010-07-23 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3001017

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Girls - I have worn a sport bra under my tri suit for all of my races.   I eventually am soaking wet anyway (by the end of the run, for sure) and it's fine.   You will see lots of bras under the suits.   You might be able to find a sport top that mostly covers up the straps.  I wear a black sports bra so that it "goes".

eggletina - 2010-07-23 4:01 PM Morey, thanks for all those tips - it's the small, stupid questions that get in the way!!

Lynda, I sure will. Would love to know how the stapling two towels together works out for you too?! The sports bra issue is a tough one. I think I'll be uncomfortable wearing a dreched through sports bra on the bike and run, plus it just does not look good under the suit either haha!

2010-07-23 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3001037

Master
, California
My biggest fear was forgetting a piece of equipment.  I still write out a checklist every time I race and my car doesn't leave the driveway until everything on that list is checked off.
2010-07-23 4:09 PM

New user

Sunday will be my first tri, too! I was never an athlete growing up, so this is a really big deal to me. And I am really nervous, but I think more excited than nervous. I just want to do it, and then finish and know I'm a triathlete.

I have been training in my one-piece tri suit, and I've always worn a sports bra under it (with my shape, I do NOT run without a sports bra).  I even did a "mini-triathlon" in it during a clinic (100m swim, 4 mile bike, 1 mile run), and everything dried off really fast.  It was so exhilarating getting on the bike after the swim, I just didn't even notice.

I hope you have an amazing experience on Sunday!
2010-07-23 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3000946

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
On the bra issue - I'm stuck on this too.  I have a fantastic Enell bra and can't run without it - but I don't want to swim in it (coz it will look daft under a TYR strappy costume!!). So my plan is to staple two large towels together, with a head hole (like a poncho) and slip my swimmy top off and put bra on while under the towel poncho at T1.  Planning to practice this while wet this weekend.

Will you set-up your transition area near me?  This will be entertaining.

Kevin
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri, is everybody this scared?! Rss Feed  

of 2