General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri, is everybody this scared?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-23 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3000733

User image

San Diego
Subject: RE: First tri, is everybody this scared?!
The day I stop getting nervous is the day I stop racing ... and I have done well over 50 tri's.

Enjoy the excitement!  Think of how cool it is to be nervous about something you have worked for.  Not nearly enough people get to experience that feeling.

In life you should always be just a little bit scared.

Cheers,
-j

2010-07-23 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3001081

Sure...! You can laugh along with my hubby and friends. I'm hoping to get a spot in the middle of the bike racks so the supporters wont be able to see too much!! Tee hee.
It'll either work - or I'll get a staple where I don't want one!

Guys just don't get it - I have been worrying about this bra issue for the last 5mths! I'd love to run in something skimpy but it just ain't gonna happen!
2010-07-23 4:40 PM

User image

The day you don't get worked up is the day to quit racing.

Oh, on the watch thing. Start your watch when they call 30 seconds prior to to the gun then switch your watch to time.
About 200-300 yards from the finish line, stop your watch.

That way you have a reasonable idea of your time and you don't get the standard "fiddling with my watch" finish line shot.
2010-07-25 10:27 AM

User image

Well I did it, was totally stressed out right up to when I started swimming and there was indeed a calm that swept over me.. I shall post up a race-report blog later on! Thanks to everyone that messaged me helpful advice and thanks Jim for your lovely comment on the blog!
2010-07-25 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

It's a triathlon!  It's not like you are stormin' the beach at Normandy.

~Mike

2010-07-27 2:31 PM

Who knew August comes up so fast after July?!  Yikes!  My first tri is August 8th and stuff is just starting to be posted, like packet pick up, swim wave starts, etc.  It's becoming real now!  I go back and forth on what to worry about.  First I was worried about the run, then I did a few 5ks and feel ok about the run.  Now I'm worrying about the swim!  Guess what tomorrow's will be.  The one thing I'm not too worried about is looking like a dork running in my tri suit.  It is far from being the best one on the market, I don't look especially stunning in it, but if people want to comment on it, they're welcome to do it from the starting line rather than from the observation area.

To weigh in on the bra thing, I found one with "moderate" support, but that plus the built in bra in the tri top seems to equal serious staying power for the girls.   

2010-07-27 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3002901

User image

Veteran
eggletina - 2010-07-25 10:27 AM Well I did it, was totally stressed out right up to when I started swimming and there was indeed a calm that swept over me.. I shall post up a race-report blog later on! Thanks to everyone that messaged me helpful advice and thanks Jim for your lovely comment on the blog!

Awesome!! Congrats! Glad that "calm" came over you!!  

Patti
2010-07-27 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3000856

User image

Regular
morey000 - 2010-07-23 3:05 PM
1.  Get to the race early so you can leisurely pick a spot and set up your little area with your
6. Yes- put elastic laces in your sneakers.  You'll need to run with them and adjust them.  Do that today- it wont' take long, but you do need to do this.
7.  Yes- you can swim in your tri suit.  That's what they're made for.  As for whether you need a sports bra... I'll let you figure that out yourself.  But a short run with your new tri suit (wet) will give you everything you need to know.  Yes- you can run in your tri suit.  It won't feel like running in wet cycling shorts. 

Great advice!  Let me add that you should not wear underwear under your tri shorts.  They are made to be worn without.  Maybe you already knew this, but thought I'd just put it out there.
Enjoy your race day!
Shelly
2010-07-27 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3000782

User image

Regular
Flagstaff
Definitely.  Once you settle into the swim you'll probably be too focused on the event to worry about being nervous.  At Hawaii 70.3 this year I was darned near euphoric by the halfway point in the swim; I was feeling so good and just thrilled for it to finally be race day after so many months of training.

You'll be fine.

Nerves are normal.  Just breathe in and out and try to keep your energy focused in a positive direction.  Have confidence in your training and that you're well-prepared for the race.

Edited by bschorr 2010-07-27 7:52 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri, is everybody this scared?! Rss Feed  

of 2