General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door County Triathlon Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 29m 26s
Overall Rank = 825/924
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 19/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:20 or so after sleeping that night and the night before in what the campground called an A frame. It was more or less a couple of walls to keep the animals out and a bed maybe 3 inches thick. After a horrible night's sleep on Friday, I actually slept pretty good on Saturday. Got up and got ready. My nerves were very jumpy as I had spent most of the 4 am hour laying in bed listening to the rain fall on the A frame. I stomached a banana and had part of a Diet Coke, but that was about all I could handle. Angie, my friend from Madison, had stayed with us and we loaded up our stuff and took a few more pictures before getting on the road around 10 after 6. We drove through Egg Harbor, past the run course which already had cones up and on to the parking around Murphy park. There wasn't too many people there yet but the traffic was picking up fast. We got our stuff together and walked across the field to body marking. Heidi who is my "boss" at the Y was there and she wrote my numbers on. I also stopped to talk to one of the people who work the front desk of the Y and is doing Ironman this year. Then off to pick up a time chip and head over to transition. I was starting to get very very nervous but just kept it together as I started to set up my transition area. About two minutes into that I realized that my PB & J sandwich was still in the cooler, so I quickly called my Dad and left a message. Continued setting up the transition, when they called back and said they would bring it, and not a few minutes after that an announcement stated that because of a line of thunderstorms crossing over the bay, they race would be delayed 30 minutes at least until they knew it was safe. Oh geez, how great! I already had too much time to think and that just added to it. My parents came soon and handed off my sandwich which I placed. I also found out that they were not going to be strict with Ipod useage on the run which just about made my run. Music for the run would make it so much better. Took a bathroom break and then just hung by the water at a table until 8:30 rolled around and they got ready for the first wave. Watched them go off and then started to climb into my wetsuit. Got it up and on and as I was trying to zip it up, the zipper jumped off the track. Mom tried to fix it and it was not going to happen. We closed up the top the best we could and I said goodbye to my parents trying to keep it together. Walked down to the water and climbed in to see just how bad it was going to be. It seemed like the back would hold.
Event warmup:

Did a little bit of swimming to make sure the wetsuit would be okay and kept watching the waves go off. Finally two before me came up and I got out of the water and got ready on shore. The last male wave went off and I got a hug from Angie who was in the wave behind me and got ready to go.
Swim
  • 44m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out nice and even. I was worried about the wetsuit so I kept it nice and even to make sure it was okay. I was prepared to stop at a boat and ditch the suit in the water if I had to. But as I kept going along the first long stretch past the dock things seemed to be okay. I tried to keep doing what I was doing and kept a nice rhythm of 4 strokes then a breath, 2 strokes then another breath and repeat. Caught a bad breath of boat exhaust which made breathing nasty and right as I was about to turn at the second buoy to hit the long stretch, the wave behind me caught up. It felt like that first section took forever so I was not looking forward to the long section. Just kept swimming and was able to find a person to just swim on their toes. On the back side, I felt the next wave catch me and at one point glanced at my watch to see it was around 25 minutes. Finally made it to the last turn buoy with 30 some minutes on my watch. I kept going but it felt like I was fighting a current. I could finally see bottom which was exciting and kept trying to set my foot down to realize it was too deep. Fought my way through the water and was able to get to shallow water and start to pull down my wetsuit. Right behind me I hear my friend Angie announce that she is right behind me. Climbed up the boat launch while tugging the wetsuit down and crossed the swim mat.
What would you do differently?:

Let me first start by saying that this triathlon takes place at Frank Murphy's Park in Egg Harbor. I believe our race director Sean Ryan reminded the group of Murphy's Law which states "If anything can go wrong, it will." Sometimes "and at the worst possible time". I will now create a list of what Murphy threw at me today:
1. 30 minute weather delay because of thunderstorms
2. Wetsuit zipper broke right before the swim start

On to the what I could do differently, I was lucky the water was calm because that helped me set a PR in the water by almost 2 minutes. If I would have not had wetsuit problems and had more practice in the water/pool, I can imagine that time would go down!
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

After I crossed the line, the wetsuit stripper that was waiting for me was my Y buddy Heidi, I had the suit down to my waist and she asked if I was ready and she had it off in one strip. Then grabbed it and started towards my spot and quickly took off the cap and goggles, put on the socks and shoes and got the helmet and sunglasses on before grabbing my bike and going.

Nothing new to add to Murphy's List.... This was a good transition so I wouldn't change anything.
Bike
  • 3h 39m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.31 mile/hr
Comments:

So onto the bike, started off nice and even. I didn't want to push the bike early on so I kept it backed off. Around 15 minutes into I ate my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and started hitting the fluids. As I got closer to Sturgeon Bay, I noticed on the water that the waves were picking up and that I was really glad we didn't swim in that. The wind was getting worse but I was really glad with what I was doing so far. I was trying to figure out as I was riding which way the wind was coming and where I would have to deal with it. I pushed out of town and up a hill and a volunteer commented to me that it looked like it was going to rain. Well sure enough about 3 more miles into the course as I was heading to the square, the rain started just really light but started. Kept pushing it and had to deal with the rain actually hitting me like little pins. The climbing was getting harder with the rain but I was staying true to the nutrition. Just kept going and actually around the half way point, I started passing other people. It was on my way back around mile 35 or so that I finally saw the last person heading out on the bike. They were around mile 20 or so. Finally got back to Sturgeon Bay and started the two big climbs in that town. All was going really well until there was this turn on to Old Highway Road. I don't remember a whole lot, but I do remember thanking the volunteers, watching for the traffic, looking at the puddle and as I was turning, my wheels caught the water and the uneven pavement and my tires slid out and took me and the bike all the way down. I remember feeling the bike fall on me and I am really not sure one way or the other if my head/helmet made contact with the ground. I do remember the police officer yelling "biker down" and some other athlete passing me. My feet unclipped and I was able to get the bike off and sit up. I did a quick mental check and realized that there wasn't any really bad pain so nothing was broken. The volunteer who was this nice older lady came running over and offered me the chance to sit down if I wanted. She talked to me for a few minutes and offered me a chance to clean up my left knee which was icky. I knew that if I didn't keep on going, I wouldn't. I only had 14 miles left of the bike course so I made sure the bike was somewhat okay and with the blessing of the volunteer got back on to keep going. I made it onto the next road and mentally was having trouble getting my speed up. The next few climbs were tough, which included the bluff which I seriously thought about walking. At the top of the bluff, I noticed that something was clicking on my bike. I knew I just needed to make it through to transition and I could decide where to go from there. I also knew that my family didn't need to see the ouchies too. Took the big downhill carefully and then just kept on going to transition. There were still bikers around me and I was happy to hear my family screaming for me when I got to transition.

So the Murphy list continues with a big add on....
3. Lots and lots of rain on the bike, which lead to......
4. My FIRST and crappiest time for a bike crash ever!!!!!

I still have more bike work to do like hill training but I was happy with the energy I used on the bike, my nutrition and honestly getting back up and going again after crashing. I could have very easily quit at that point.
Transition 2
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

Walked my bike from the dismount line to my spot and could not for the life of me get my bike up on the rack. It took a long time, I just didn't have the strength to do it. Then I changed my shoes, thought about changing my socks because they were soaked, ditched the helmet and the sunglasses, put the body glide in my pocket, picked up my number, fuel thing, and my Ipod and visor. Then started to walk out of transition. I wanted to make sure my body could handle this run after the fall.

So the Murphy list continues with just a small addition
5. Not being able for the life of me being able to lift my bike up to rack it and that taking by far the most time in transition

I could probably use some tired transition two practice, but I did well considering my leg and shoulder was a mess.
Run
  • 2h 58m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked for the first good amount of time out of transition and past my family. They have a video clip of me saying how trying this race has been so far. I actually walked to where the run course crossed the finish line and then started doing 3 minutes run/ 2 minutes walk. As you can see by mile addtl lap data my first few miles were very much on pace and very even. I grabbed a GU when I went through the first aid sation and took that. I had my Ipod which kept me going between groups of spectators and seeing other racers. I took some more GU at the next aid station and was feeling really good into Egg Harbor. There were times I was actually passing people! I kept really strong until I got to the first big hill and then I walked that and I found myself walking a bit of the downhill until my legs could recover. I then was able to keep up the 3/2 at least until mile 8 when I realized that I had a big hill to climb and I wanted to be able to run when I got up to the top of the hill. So I walked mile 9 and 10 which include the killer bluff! They had ice up there and I used it to my benefit. Also I switched to 1:1 for the run:walk because my legs were starting to seriously fail and that was about a far as I could handle without a walking break. I finally made it out to the furthest point on the course and I realized that my time was going to be killer and I had killed the Murphy's law even though it tried to take me down. I actually teared up around mile 11.5 and pulled it back together when I got to the last aid station. I stashed my Ipod so I could hear everyone cheer for me and took that long last downhill into the park and to the finish line where my family and friends awaited!

Since the run went so good, there is nothing new to add to Murphy's list. The only thing that could make the run better is more practice time but I did so awesome that I am very happy with that! Here is the final Murphy's list:
5. Not being able for the life of me being able to lift my bike up to rack it and that taking by far the most time in transition

Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the line and one of the med tent volunteers told me I could go get my leg cleaned up but I declined. I got a bottle of water, my medal and then went to go get my finisher's picture taken. I then gave them my chip and went to go tell and show my family what had happened all these hours. I wanted to jump in the lake but I was worried about the open wounds.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training, but I PRed by almost 11 minutes under my fastest HIM up to this point which makes me very very happy!

Event comments:

I love this race. There were still 99 people who had longer times than me which was wonderful! I did awesome!!!

Last updated: 2010-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:39 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/19
Overall: 0/924
Performance: Average
Suit: Stupid thing broke so who cares!
Course: Started waist high and swam out to the yellow buoys, right turn past the dock and then a medium distance to second turn, then long long swim to a third turn aiming back towards the boat launch and exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:39:25 | 56 miles | 15.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/19
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Down to Sturgeon Bay along the water, through town and back out to a square on the Lake Michigan side then back again, through Sturgeon Bay up the bluff and down the bluff a few miles later and then back to the park.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:44
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:58:54 | 13.1 miles | 13m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/19
Performance: Good
These were my own splits from my watch: Mile 1&2: 26.28 3: 12.41 4: 12.41 5: 12.48 6: 14.13 7: 13.31 8: 13.16 9: 15.27 10: 17.38 11: 13.28 12: 12.59 13: 11.56 13.1: 1.06
Course: Up to Egg Harbor, down to the dock and out to the furthest turn around before up a huge hill, down the one into town and up the bluff for three more miles before down the big hill to the finish line!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-23 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Door County Triathlon Half Ironman

2010-07-24 12:52 AM
in reply to: #3001211

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Subject: RE: Door County Triathlon Half Ironman
Congrats on the race and PR! Pretty awesome to PR in a race you and your bike crashed in. Good job getting back up and finishing strong!

70's and calm in Horseshoe Bay?!?! Sign me up for the year that happens again! I have vivid memories from Door County 2 years ago and being "stuck" in my worst nightmare....OPEN water. You know in Titanic when the ship sinks and everyone is splashing around in the water? That's what I felt like happened with us sprinters in Horseshoe Bay as we tried to swim out into the waves. At the time I was certain I was going to drown. Then, when I made it past the waves and I hadn't drown, I swore to myself I would never ever do anything SO stupid ever again in my entire life. 

Congrats again! Keep up the good work Laughing!
2010-07-24 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Madison

Great job out there!  I was out cheering on some friends and I am sure I saw you as well.  Nice job handling Murphy's law and finishing strong - and a bike crash followed by a PR!  Congratulations!

2010-07-24 11:24 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Good on you for not letting Murphy's law take you down!  Great PR!!!
Sorry about the crash, glad it wasn't a serious thing!
2010-07-24 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison-ish, Wisconsin
Awesome job.  Especially getting up after the crash.  I recently crashed myself in my first sprint of the year so I know how that goes.

You rocked it on the run after the hill there.
2010-07-24 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Way to get back on your horse, and finish strong!!

And congrats on the PR!!!  WAY TO GO GIRL!!  Something to be very proud of 

2010-07-30 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Great job!  I am so happy for you.  What a great, epic day. You dealt with quit a bit of adversity. And handled it with class! And a PR with all of that too!  Wow.

Crograds!
2010-07-31 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3015281

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I agree - that was epic!  Congratulations on keeping going and ending up with a wonderful new PR!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon Half Ironman Rss Feed