General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Problems with Fatigue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-24 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Subject: Problems with Fatigue

I was training for a marathon and an oly distance tri. I have done both of these distances before and so I was doing similar training increases and volume as to what I have done in the past. I felt strong through my workouts and overall my training was going really well.

Then (about 2 weeks ago) I caught the stomach flu and shortly after I recovered from that I caught a horrible cold/cough that wiped me out for a week. Through all of that I was really busy at work and I’m a busy single mom so I wasn’t sleeping more than 6 hrs a night at best either.

Now that I’m mostly recovered from the cold (I just have a residual cough) and things are mostly back to normal, I am trying to get back into things and I am finding myself EXHAUSTED after only 1 or 2 miles of running and I have to stop. I’ve never had this problem before. I do feel fine the rest of the day when I’m not trying to exercise, I’m not overly tired.

I realize that I may want to shoot for a half mary instead of the full. I’m totally okay with that, I just want to feel good out there running, etc. again!

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

(BTW, I quit logging my workouts/workout attempts over the last 2ish weeks so it’s not totally accurate)

-Claire

2010-07-24 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3001808

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Subject: RE: Problems with Fatigue
Don't push too hard.

And if the cough comes back, back off!

A couple of years ago I got some nasty chest virus/infection and coughed so much I couldn't sleep without being drugged.  For a LONG time, any run-of-the-mill cold had a 1 in 3 chance or better of bringing back a nasty cough.

There were many times when I recovered from the cold, felt fine, but did something cardio for just a few minutes and BAM, coughing like crazy and recovery lost ground.

Take it easy. Basically if you push too hard too soon, you risk setting yourself back more.

Get some extra sleep if you can too.

-eric 
2010-07-24 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
I agree - don't push too hard.  Personally, I would just take a few days off entirely then get back on the horse.  When is your marathon or Oly?  I imagine a week or two may not throw you way off??
2010-07-24 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I was hoping all the pros would come in here with scientific research about illness, how much % of fitness you lose per day of being sick, etc...but since not, I'll post my non-scientific and limited personal experience!

I have a very hard time coming back from being sick. I've never been able to pick up where I left off, it just doesn't work that way for me. I usually get sick about 2x per year (usually one sinus infection every winter and one flu type bug every summer or fall) Either one usually takes me completely out of training for 2 weeks or more. 

After those two weeks it is always literally like starting off the couch for me, back to square one, 5 years of exercising feels like its down the tubes. This last year I was up to doing 8 mile long runs before my January sinus infection, then afterwards I couldn't even do 1. But building back up each time doesn't take as long...it took me 6 months to get up to 8 miles originally, after being sick it only took me 5-6 weeks to work back up to it. So it comes back to me quicker, but any illness definitely sets me back quite a bit.
2010-07-24 4:55 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
You might have mono. If it continues I would get checked. 
2010-07-25 5:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Thanks everyone. The race is early October so I could still do the half instead of the full mary. The Oly is in 2 weeks so I'll just cross my fingers that I get better in time. Not going to be my best performace there after this, thats for sure!

I'm thinking I may have some form of bronchitis actually, the coughing part has been picking up quite a bit.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Problems with Fatigue Rss Feed