United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 23s
Overall Rank = 79/316
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/25
Pre-race routine:

This was my first tri and I wanted to be sure that I arrived with plenty of time. I got to the race just after the transition area opened and found a spot near the front exit. I wanted something close to the bike start/ finish so that I wouldn't have to maneuver my bike through the transition area. Prior to the race I visited with a couple of people and even saw an old friend from High School.
Event warmup:

Just before the race I went down to the lake and spent 4-5 minutes warming up in the water. The lake temperature was very comfortable and with the overcast sky, there was no worry about sun glare.
Swim
  • 17m 42s
  • 750 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall, I was pleased with my swim. My sighting was better than I thought it would be and I popped out of the water at about 15:45. Two weeks ago, I would have guessed that I would be out of the water after about 18-19 minutes,so this was much quicker than I had hoped. I felt like I had finished strong at the end. During the run into T1, I began to start thinking about the bike phase, which was helpful. This helped me move through that stage a little faster, I think.
What would you do differently?:

Two things: 1) Try to keep my goggles from fogging up and 2), start swimming harder a little sooner. I waited until I was past the second buoy to push a little more. I think that with more experience, that will come easier.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

This was the only problem that I had in the entire race. I chose to put my shoes on while I was riding, and this didn't go so well. I think in placing them on my bike, I really didn't have them loosened up well. As a result, I was well into my ride and still trying to get my shoes on. I would guess that it was a good 3-4 minutes in, before I really got my shoes on.

Either ride with shoes that are easier to get on or just put them on and then get on the bike.
Bike
  • 38m 39s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 20.96 mile/hr
Comments:

This portion of the triathlon was fun!!! Again, I rode much faster than I had anticipated, keeping my pace above 20 miles/ hr. I did get passed by a number of folks, but almost all of them were on tri bikes and clearly had been doing this for a while. I may not have pushed as hard as I could either, but I can't argue with the speed considering that my previous rides had been much slower.

I might push a little more on the bike next time. I was definitely a little conservative as I didn't want to be empty by the time I got to the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

T2 is definitely an easier transition. One of the first things that I did was put my race belt on as I wanted to be sure that I didn't forget it. I got my helmet off and my hat/ glasses on with no trouble. I chose to sit down to put my shoes on, but I wanted to avoid the debacle that I had with the biking shoes. One of them felt a little loose when I started running, but it wasn't too bad so I just went with it. The yankz are definitely a help for a quick transition.

Nothing really. I was pleased with this section of the transition.
Run
  • 20m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

The run continues to be a strength for me. I was the 4th fastest run in my age group. I felt very strong throughout and I wonder if I didn't have a little something left in me at the end. The finish line kind of sneaked up on me, but I can't complain at all. I wasn't passed by anyone during the run.

Maybe push a little harder after mile two.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really. I visited with my family and watched my girls dance to the DJ.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The lack of a previous triathlon experience was the only thing that might have limited my performance. Still, I completed this race nearly 11 minutes faster than I had anticipated so I have absolutely no complaints. I feel like my biking shoes were my only "mistake" and that was a relatively small one.

Event comments:

This was a fantastic first race for a triathlon. Not having done other tri's I can't really compare it to other events, but with about 300 people and a nice easy course, it was very "newbie" friendly. I could definitely see myself doing this race again. There is also a similar event at the end of June "Lake to Lake" which is an Olympic distance that I think I'd like to try next summer. I am definitely hooked!

Last updated: 2010-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:42 | 750 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/25
Overall: 0/316
Performance: Good
The time above includes my transition, which at this race, was a fairly long run (about 1/4 mile from the water to T1. I didn't mind however, as it gave me a chance to adjust before jumping into the bike segment.
Suit: None
Course: The course was a rectangular shape with two left turns at the end. I had a little trouble sighting at first because my goggles were a little fogged. I was in the first wave and I started more towards the middle and the back of the swim. As they announced one minute to start, the crowd at the start began to cheer, which was very encouraging.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:38:39 | 13.5 miles | 20.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/25
Wind: Little
Course: The sprint tri course is fairly flat with only a few mild hills. It is a much easier ride than the hilly area I ride on near Pueblo. The course is mostly a rectangular shape and heads west towards the mountains, north towards Fort Collins, east towards Windsor, and then South back to Loveland.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:26 | 03.1 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/25
Course: The run was a simple out and back course around the park and then out onto the street for a quick portion. There are no major hills on this run, and in fact, it may be the flattest course I've run since the Firekracker 5k in Fort Collins.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes