General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
92+F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 57s
Overall Rank = 569/607
Age Group = 40-44 F
Age Group Rank = 102/107
Pre-race routine:

Good night's sleep, yay! Up at 5:15, rice cake and peanut butter and out the door we went. DH dropped me off at the race and then headed back home to get the kids. Good man. Got into transition with plenty of room on the rack, and set up with no problem. Lots of time to kill before my wave (11).
Event warmup:

Setting up and walking to transition and then the swim was plenty of warm up. It was already very hot before the race even started at 7:30.
Swim
  • 23m
  • 547 yards
  • 04m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yes, my swim time is correct. I back stroked the entire thing, and still enjoyed every minute. Blue sky above me, breathing was great. Once I stopped stressing about the fact that I wasn't swimming freestyle, I had fun. Had a little trouble with navigation, went off course one or twice, but the kayak folks pointed me back in the right direction. Next wave caught up and passed me, but that actually worked in my favor, as it was easier to sight them than the actual buoys. Swim start was fine - no jostling. Nearing the end it actually got a little rougher as there were a lot of bodies funneling into the finish. Took a couple of kicks, but no damage done. The whole thing went very fast.
What would you do differently?:

Someday get comfortable enough with my freestyle stroke.
Transition 1
  • 04m 51s
Comments:

Went fine. Hard to get wet feet into socks. Glad I had gatorade mix to sip. I was very thirsty. Could definitely move faster than I did.

Just move with a little more urgency.
Bike
  • 51m 25s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 13.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I was so relieved to get on the bike, I really enjoyed the ride. It also went really fast. My chain was making a weird noise during the majority of the ride, and I was just praying that it wouldn't drop. Only bad part about the whole ride was that I dropped my brand new, a little expensive freezy-water bottle about 20 seconds into the ride. I couldn't bear the thought of stopping and going back for it, so I continued on. I was VERY grateful that my husband took the time last night to put a second cage on my bike. That saved me, hydration-wise. Hit a bit of a wall about halfway through, and then oddly when we turned into the park for the last mile. There was a bit of a crosswind then. Still, being so close is a powerful motivator.

I need to learn to hydrate better, without being so swervy. Clearly I need to practice putting the bottle INTO the cage.
Transition 2
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

I spent way too much time trying to decide whether to wear my knee brace or not. Didn't, and am glad. Definitely room for improvement here though. This transition is so simple since I bike and run in the same shoes, I am always standing there thinking there is more to do.

Keep moving!
Run
  • 46m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 15m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh boy, I had nothing left. I walked/ran this entire course, so that is the worst time I have ever posted for a 5K. But it is the first time I ever ran a 5K after a swim and bike, LOL! It was really hot by the time I was running, and my heart rate was sky-high. I worked hard to get it under control. I was very happy to be done. Did manage to run the last quarter mile into the chute.

Save a little for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Oh, the misting tent was just PHENOMENAL! It felt so good. We walked a bit to get to the food. Then we walked quite a bit to the car. Once home, sat for a bit outside with hubby and then floated in the pool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training as I got closer to the tri. Heat, to some extent, but it is a late July race, so that is to be expected. I am so happy to be a TRIATHLETE!

Event comments:

CGI did a great job with this race. There are a lot of athletes to organize and they did a great job. Highly recommended.

It was really great having my family there. Thank you Jim, Alex, Brandon, Mom and Dad for getting up so early to hang out in the heat and be such a great cheering section. I really appreciated it!

Last updated: 2009-12-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:00 | 547 yards | 04m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/107
Overall: 0/607
Performance: Good
Suit: Garneau Trisuit
Course: Easy course. Started on Mercer "Beach" out to buoy and then one left turn to the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:25 | 11.5 miles | 13.42 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Fast and flat. Very nice course. One loop out through the country around the park. Course was well marked and well staffed.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:50 | 03.11 miles | 15m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat. Hot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-25 11:43 AM

Veteran
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-07-25 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3002986

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Nice race, Triathlete!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed