General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some days I just eat eat eat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-25 8:25 PM

Subject: Some days I just eat eat eat
I have adapted my diet to my training, and I have lost a significant amount of weight.  I rarely have  a "bad food day".   SOme days I don't have access to the "right food" to support that days training plan, but it only results in sub optimal training, nothing else.  I have drastically increased the distance per ride, but redused number of rides... everyting else is the same distance, just ... well faster : 0 )

Lately, I have been ravenous around 8 at night ( another thread) and now, Im freaking hungry all the time!  Today, I ate 1/2 a pizza, sushi, about 3 apples and 2 bananas, and randon handfuls of berries, and I even caved and ate a coffee mug full of icecream... I am going to bed early so I will not keep eating.

What gives?  fwiw weight is only +- 2 lbs each week...  

2010-07-25 10:44 PM
in reply to: #3003739

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Some days I just eat eat eat
Are you trying to loose weight?  If not food = fuel  and you need to replace what you burn.  Ideally, its with good food but sometimes the stomach wants pizza and ice cream and that's exactly what its getting.  Think of it as a fringe benefit from all the hard work you put into training.
2010-07-25 10:44 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Are you trying to loose weight?  If not food = fuel  and you need to replace what you burn.  Ideally, its with good food but sometimes the stomach wants pizza and ice cream and that's exactly what its getting.  Think of it as a fringe benefit from all the hard work you put into training.
2010-07-25 11:05 PM
in reply to: #3003939

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
I am not impressed with half a pizza.  I can down a whole one easy if I'm having one of those days.Wink

3 Apples though I am VERY impressed by.  I like apples. I try to keep some handy.  But 3 in a row?  I'd get tired of the texture and my teeth/gums would be sore.

If you get that hungry, and try to suppress it, you might even eat MORE later.  Better to cave occasionally than feel deprived all the time.

I sure don't pay too much attention to what I eat.  Some days I feel like good stuff, sometimes junk.  The healthier I get, the less I crave the junk. If you obsess over it, it'll be harder to make it work.

-eric 
2010-07-26 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
South Florida

I kept track of everything I ate for a couple of days during a peak training phase and I was astonished at the number of calories I was consuming. If I remember right most days I was eating close to 5K cal each day. I don't keep track now, but I weigh myself each day and I am usually the same within a couple of pounds. If my annual blood work comes back with high cholesterol or something like that I will change, but for now I eat, drink and be merry.

It takes a lot of willpower to train hard and restrict your calories at the same time. If you are happy with your weight, I say eat what you want. Eat healthy, fruits and veggies, but don't deny youself a cheeseburger.

2010-07-26 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Had to laugh when I read this.  Sounded like the Hungry Caterpillar. 

I find I am hungry most of the time also and will start eating junk if its around.  I try to drink water to help fight it off the best I can.  Cutting out most simple sugars also helps keep away the cravings for me.  But still eat ice cream a few times a week.  If its in the freezer, I will eat it.  I try to buy Skinny Cow's and will eat that over ice cream if its an option.

I try to snack on fruits and nuts and make something like oatmeal or eat a yogurt if I am really hungry during the day.  I also use a recovery drink (Hammer Recoverite) after workouts lasting more than 60-90min (or if I feel depleted) and fuel on rides longer than 2 hours.  It may be psychological, but I find these help me.  If I stay fueled before and during my workouts, I am less likely to eat a lot after wards.

When all else fails at night, I try to go to bed.

2010-07-26 1:20 PM

User image

I feel ya on this one! some days I will be great, eating whole weat toast and eggs for breakfast with a cup of milk and ill do my workout about three hours later, having a gel before and either water or GU brew mix into it (like gatorade) during the ride, after i have like a sandwich or soemthign turkey. but then all of a sudden it will be like 7 or 8 at night and i want to eat everything in my fridge, no matter what it is, chips, ice cream sandwiches, leftovers, its like a bottomless pit.  i make myself go to bed so i stop from eating everything lol
2010-07-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3005138

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
I have the same issue.  Most days I'll eat 1500 calories (trying to lose weight) then one day I'll go on a 2500-3000 calorie binge.  Usually its from going out to eat or to a party, where I lose my self control.  Other times though its just from training hard and my body just needing calories.
2010-07-26 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft Campbell, Kentucky
I eat alot sometimes. There are days I cant eat enough!! 5-6 meals and snacking throughout the day. Its all related to your training and what you are trying to do.

Good point, Michael Phelps when training for the Olympics, was eating thousands of calories a day!!!
2010-07-26 6:43 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland
More Protein!!!

Apples, bananas, berries are all carbs and sugar. I used to be like that, ate fruit and cereal and that's about it. Now I eat protein with every meal. Yoghurt, milk, ham, eggs, chicken, peanut butter, etc, etc.

I end up eating less but feel more full. It's good for building up muscles that you have hurt during training too.
2010-07-26 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3005138

User image

New Haven, CT
you are all BOP in terms of eating.  I've been hungry for 4 years.  Bad food days do not involve apples.  That said I hear you.  All of my trusted sources on nutrition have basically said: you will be hungry do your best to be good, keep getting back on the wagon when your bad

2010-07-26 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3005957

User image

Veteran
Papillion, NE
Elliot Power - 2010-07-26 6:43 PM More Protein!!!

Apples, bananas, berries are all carbs and sugar. I used to be like that, ate fruit and cereal and that's about it. Now I eat protein with every meal. Yoghurt, milk, ham, eggs, chicken, peanut butter, etc, etc.

I end up eating less but feel more full. It's good for building up muscles that you have hurt during training too.

Best advice yet. Protein and good quality carbs at every meal.
2010-07-26 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
nom nom nom... 
some good advice here,
nom nom nom
protein is key, especially early in the day.  Research shows that people who eat a breakfast high in protein feel more satiated and consume fewer calories throughout the day!
nom nom nom
don't forget the #1 hunger suppressant... FIBER!  More fiber = more better!
nom nom nom
Drink more water!  Thirst is often misread as hunger, if you just ate or feel like you shouldn't still be hungry, down a huge glass of agua!
nom nom nom
Enjoy it, one of the greatest aspects of training hard is fueling that furnace burning within.  Feed the beast as they say!
nom nom nom
just don't have a crapload of milk chocolate wafers like i just did

sorry for all the nom nom's, I'm having one of those days too  
2010-07-26 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3006247

mchubri` - 2010-07-26 9:58 PM nom nom nom... 
some good advice here,
nom nom nom
protein is key, especially early in the day.  Research shows that people who eat a breakfast high in protein feel more satiated and consume fewer calories throughout the day!
nom nom nom
don't forget the #1 hunger suppressant... FIBER!  More fiber = more better!
nom nom nom
Drink more water!  Thirst is often misread as hunger, if you just ate or feel like you shouldn't still be hungry, down a huge glass of agua!
nom nom nom
Enjoy it, one of the greatest aspects of training hard is fueling that furnace burning within.  Feed the beast as they say!
nom nom nom
just don't have a crapload of milk chocolate wafers like i just did

sorry for all the nom nom's, I'm having one of those days too  

Too funny!
I have been trying to add more protein at breakfast (usually just oatmeal and blueberries) but adding more fiber makes for an, ahh... uncomfortable da at work.  If I am at home, no problem,but I do not want to burden my co-workers with my GI issues.
2010-07-26 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3005986

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
jsklarz - 2010-07-26   Bad food days do not involve apples.

Well put! 
2010-07-26 11:03 PM
in reply to: #3006262

User image

Extreme Veteran
To my co-workers that look at me like I'm insane when I go for my 60 minute lunchtime run in 95+ heat with 90%+ humidity:

I hate running, but I love drinking beer.

The simple fact is that if you're burning the calories you consume, then you can eat nearly anything.  I forget who it was, but a pro ball player (NFL or NBA, I forget which) said when asked what he ate pre-game, post-game, and in general.  The answer was fast food nearly all the time.  He loved McDonalds.  For them though, their job is to work out and exercise almost constantly so it doesn't really matter.  If you have the craving and you've stuck to your workout plan, then eat the food.

2010-07-27 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3006247

User image

New Haven, CT
Best hunger killers:
1.  Pizza (BT pizza not real pizza) - distracting and burns calories.  However, after you will need to go further down the list
2.  Glass or 2 of ocean water
3.  Changing poopy diapers
4.  Mouthful of dirt
5.  Sun stroke

Fiber, protein, etc, bah... only nutritionists think those work.  Seriously, unfortunately the only thing I find that works is accepting that you are hunry and fighting teh urge to eat more (so long as you have eaten a health diet that day). FOr example, I ate well all day (lots of fiber and protein) yesterday and was starving all day (only did a short run)I did not need any more food so I sucked it up and didn't eat.  SOmetime I have the will power to do this, sometimes I don't.  You do the best you can.

2010-07-29 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3003954

User image

Veteran
I do the exact same thing. Some good advice here!
2010-07-30 2:24 AM

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
No offense, but "nom nom nom" sounds gross!
2010-07-30 2:36 AM

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
Ugh...sorry, but I really can't stand when people equate the word loose with lose.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some days I just eat eat eat Rss Feed