United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 38m 28s
Overall Rank = 74/289
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:28am because I'm weird and insist on setting my alarm on non-zero or five ending numbers. Got dressed, ate toast with peanut butter, drank water, deuced, applied sunscreen, then loaded up and headed to the race.
Event warmup:

Nothing too special - short run to get blood flowing and then headed down for the pre-race meeting and such. Had a gel about 15 minutes before the swim. This was a new thing. Not sure if I gained anything by it but thought I would try it out. Didn't seem to bother my stomach or anything so that was good.
Swim
  • 30m 14s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim seemed longer than the advertised 1500m. My start wave was HUGE so I was bumping with people pretty much the entire way! Made it hard to get into any rhythm and find my pace. Felt like I was fighting the whole time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Long run from the swim exit into transition. No real hiccups during the actual changing part. I did put on my race belt as instructed in the print out and saw a few others who also followed directions. "Iron Jack" is so anal about everything I didn't want to risk a penalty.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 53s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.43 mile/hr
Comments:

OK, so this part sucked. I started well and was holding a good pace until about 12 miles into the ride when I flatted. "Well, there went my race," I thought as I changed the tube as fast as I could. This was only the second time I've changed the tube on this bike so I wasn't as quick as I could have been. Nonetheless, I was back on the road and pedaling after a few minutes.

After smashing a couple miles with angry pedal strokes, I was nearing the bottle exchange. I probably should have slowed down more than I did but I wasn't thinking about it at the time. I reached for the first bottle...dropped. The second bottle. Drop. The third bottle and my last chance of having water for the last half of the ride - catch! Need to remember to slow down a little next time.

So now I figure I'm close to being back in the hunt for a decent time despite my flat. I've been working the bike really hard to gain back some time and I've re-passed almost all the people that passed me while I was changing my flat.

And then I flat again! Come on!! This time, I'm without a spare tube and CO2 (used those for the first flat). I figured I was about 8 miles from the end of the bike and pretty much resigned myself to walking back. I hadn't seen any SAG/mechanical support.

So I'm walking along as far right on the shoulder without walking in the grass and pushing my flat-tired bike as others are whizzing by. Pretty soon I hear a frantic female voice behind me, "Oh Shoot!" (But she didn't say "Shoot") Some lady runs right into me! Our bikes go sliding down the road and she falls off and rolls a little. Surprisingly, I'm still standing, stunned. She apologizes profusely and the normal nice-guy thing to say would be "it's alright," but it wasn't. It's not alright that you just ran into me and my bike at 20+ mph! What the heck were you looking at? How far up the road are you looking? And why are you riding dang-near in the grass?

Her apologies of course fail to repair my flat but a magical SAG wagon just arrived on the scene so she scampers off with a final, "I'm so sorry!" Yes, you are. Me and the SAG guy BS a little about what just happened while we change the tube and get my bike rolling again.

More angry pedal strokes. Of course at this time, I knew I was completely out of it. I figured I would at least be able to get a 10k run out of the race. I've definitely had a very adequate warm-up!

I finally rolled into transition after all my adventures out on the bike course and ran away as fast as I could.
What would you do differently?:

Not flat. Twice. Pretty sure I could have posted a 24mph split if I didn't have all the extra excitement.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Run
  • 43m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Considering I had an OK swim and a miserable bike, it was redemption time. I started out at a comfortable 7:15 pace and turned up the speed until I got to Cameron Park. The hills slowed everyone down but I felt much better going through there than I did last year. All those hill repeats must have paid off!

Pretty sure I passed the bike-wrecking lady at the turn-around point. She said something but I was very much not happy to see her so I followed my mom's advice and didn't say anything at all.

In the last third of the run, I noticed I had re-passed quite a few 25-29 men. Not bad. I had a pretty good kick for the last 1.5 miles and finished strong.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza, Oreos, water, pizza, banana, stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flat tires.

Event comments:

I don't think I'll be doing an Ironhead race again. Jack's angry tone is too much at 5:30am for me. His personality just rubs me the wrong way.

Last updated: 2010-02-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:14 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/28
Overall: 70/289
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Brazos River, out and back under a few bridges.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 89F / 32C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:53 | 24.85 miles | 18.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/28
Overall: 223/289
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:49 | 06.21 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/28
Overall: 20/289
Performance: Good
Course: Along the Brazos into Cameron Park and back. The HILLS in Cameron Park have not gotten any smaller.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-07-25 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: TriWaco Triathlon

2010-07-26 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3003878

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: TriWaco Triathlon
Tyrell... to have 2 flats and get hit on the bike, AND you still came in 7th in your AG is pretty darned impressive!!  I'm with you on the Iron Jack negativity, makes him seem like such an A-hole, but I really do like the Waco tri.
2010-07-26 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3004705

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Thanks, hildekg!  I was pretty happy to finally get across the finish line.  It was much more of a battle than I anticipated!  My 7th of 28 AG placing with an ok swim, terrible bike, and great run goes to show you that it's NOT all about the bike.  Sure am glad I've been focusing a good amount of my training on the run these days!

I agree the course is great but I just have a tough time paying money to be talked to like that.  I'm still frustrated I didn't have a chance to lay down the 24mph bike split I was shooting for though.  Maybe I will do it next year and just hang out in the Hilton lobby after setting up my transition.  Then I can miss all the a-hole announcements and pre-race diatribe....hmmm...
2010-07-26 9:59 PM
in reply to: #3003878

User image

Regular
austin/tx
tough day, especially with a lady running you over on the bike. great job finishing strong on the run. lets get some longer rides soon!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriWaco Triathlon Rss Feed