General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada
Regina Multisport Club
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 42s
Overall Rank = 22/98
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

I had struggled all week with dropping out to just volunteer at the race because I felt exhausted. My running had gone seriously downhill since CDA even thought I was trying, and I hadn't done much swimming (still), but my biking felt strong so I thought maybe I would just do it and try to post a good bike split.

I woke up at windnsnow's house (he'd already left) when alarm went off and thought "Oh please no. Let me sleep some more." Ate one of my Supreme Protein bars (peanut butter pretzel) and got dressed. windnsnow's wife and I had a fun drive to Regina Beach where I set up, lost my pre-race snack, but got a replacement from my buddies from Saskatoon.

Event warmup:

I actually warmed up for the first time at a race. I did a little bit of swimming in the very warm water with Leeanne and Ava (my S'toon buddies) and chatted with a few other athletes from Saskatoon.

Swim
  • 28m 6s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I went out a slightly easier than I normally do. I was working, but I didn't really feel confident in my aerobic ability in the swim as I've not really been swimming a lot (as per normal).

When I saw Ava ahead of me, I was glad for her, but it gave me a bit of a competitive motivation and I put a little more into the second lap. I got my arm caught in the ropes underneath the second buoy on the second lap, so I know that I was rounding the buoys closely enough. ;P
What would you do differently?:

Swim train more regularly, or just more (twice a week at the least).
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

At Regina Beach we must run up a 600m (?) hill to the bike transition, so I had to put on some my hikers which don't have speed laces. I felt the run up the hill was really good, and I said hello to a few spectators I knew as they were walking up the hill to catch the biking action.

Once there I got my shoes off (no socks) popped my helmet, glasses race belt and shoes on quickly and took off.

Get speed laces into extra runners. Otherwise, nothing. It was a great transition.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 56s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.36 km/hr
Comments:

I just have to say here (because it made me very proud) that I was the third woman off the bike. :)

I felt like a million bucks! I was working hard, but moving fast and felt it. There was some wind, not much, and I had trained in wind since coming home.

I got a little confused about where the second lap turnaround (near T2) was and ended up biking a couple of pylons toward the mount line and had to scurry back to get on course. Lost a bit of time there.

I was a little ticked that after passing about 5 people on the first lap, I got passed by 2 guys about 3km from the bike finish. Arggh!

Nothing. This bike rocked.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I didn't have speed laces for my shoes on this part either, so I lost quite a bit of time tying my shoes. windnsnow was there cheering me on and chatting, and I think it really helped me to relax and not fumble with my laces.

Helmet off, shoes on, hat on, belt turned round while running out T2.

Buy several pairs of my favourite speed laces.
Run
  • 54m 40s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Running down the T1 hill was okay, but as soon as I hit the flat, I knew I was in trouble. I was fairly dehydrated (I hadn't hydrated at all like normal for this race and had too much caffeine). I'd forgot to bring my E-Zone tablets (even one would have helped a bit). I probably did go too hard on the bike, but I really don't feel that the bike caused what happen in the second half.

On the way out I was struggling, but not yet hurting. I tried to keep up a steady pace, but felt very slow and was shuffling a bit (always a bad sign). I got to the halfway hill (about 12% grade and long) and had to walk a few steps twice on the hill to get up. Normally I love hills, but I was so frustrated that I just didn't have anything in me to push.

After that my run was a train wreck. I even had to walk a few steps about 1.5km from the finish line. I was begging my body to not embarrass me by walking through the finish chute. I was so exhausted that I was weaving badly while I was running and had to really try not to hit people running the other way.

Next to "going down" at Ironman CDA 2009 with hypothermia...the last half of this run was my lowest point in running.

Do more speed work before the shorter races. Not do an Ironman one month earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

I talked to a few people at the finish line. Got some watermelon (so good after a race) and some grapes. Sat down with Leeanne and Ava instead of soaking legs in the lake (the water was too warm anyway) and ate the post-race BBQ. It was very good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not recovered after Ironman. Not doing more speed work on the run. Not enough swim training.

Event comments:

I love this race! There were a couple of mishaps with the one bike turnaround, but there are no races with these kinds of quirks. The course is really cool. The volunteers were fantastic. The race directors worked extremely hard and got things done. The food was great (even vegan burgers!) and there was lots. The race packages had lots of stuff. Did I mention how great the volunteers were (excluding myself)?

I place 4th in Overall Womens against approximately 38 women competitors, and won the Sask Masters Female spot to Nationals in Kelowna. It was a very good race. :)

Last updated: 2010-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:06 | 1500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 0/98
Performance: Below average
Suit: XTerra
Course: 2 counterclockwise loops around 2 yellow buoys in water and 1 on shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0C / 0F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:56 | 40 kms | 33.36 km/hr
Age Group: 1/6
Performance: Good
2 out-and-backs
Wind: Some
Course: Rather flat (as Saskatchewan is known to be).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:54:40 | 10 kms | 05m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 2/6
Performance: Bad
Course: Rather pretty off-road route with one rather nasty hill at turn around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-26 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2010-07-26 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3004443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: RE: Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance
It was great to have shared this part of your race. Well done. The run will return.
Great race report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Beach Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed