General Discussion Race Reports! » Avita Water Black Bear Bicycle Tour Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Avita Water Black Bear Bicycle Tour - CycleCentury

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grayling, Michigan
United States
Grayling Rotary Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 43m 21s
Overall Rank = 257/287
Age Group = 18-30 Womens
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Mike, Chris and I met in Novi on Saturday evening and drove up to Higgins Lake to spend the night at Ms. Woods place. We had a nice dinner, watched a movie and got to bed. I had a nightmare that it was raining so hard, they cancelled the race....and THEN I had to go into work! It was a horrible dream. I was happy to wake up and see the blue sky.
Event warmup:

Stretched and waited for our wave to be called. We went off at 8:08am.
Bike
  • 6h 43m 21s
  • 100 miles
  • 14.88 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first century! Actually, it was my first ride over 50 miles. I had a blast. I felt pretty darn good until around mile 60, and then my legs and my rear end began to hurt. But, neither bothered me too much to where I felt like I had to slow down. I never felt like I wasn't going to be able to finish. It was nice, though, to have the rest stops every 12-25 miles...fully stocked with fruit, muffins and drinks.
What would you do differently?:

Next year, I expect to have more longer rides in before Black Bear. I just need more time in the saddle and more training. Otherwise I am happy with the ride and I had so much fun with Mike Woods, Mike and Karla.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched the legs, ate some fantastic pizza, shared a 12 pack of Budweiser with the group, waded in the AuSable River and then caught a ride on the school bus back to Grayling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training....need more long rides under my belt.

Event comments:

This is a great event...tons of volunteers and plenty of aid stations. There were lots of people cheering outside of their homes for the first 20-ish miles of the race. They had a nice little raffle at the end, great pizza and a fun bus ride back to the start. I can't wait for next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-08 12:00 AM
Biking
06:43:21 | 100 miles | 14.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 257/287
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Beautiful route from Grayling to Oscoda, MI. Other than the first few miles, the roads were great. It was a fun ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right