United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 27m 19s
Overall Rank = 207/1024
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/127
Pre-race routine:

Wok up at 3:00(!) for the one-hour drive to race. I move slow in the morning, so was on the road by 4. TA opened at 5, and I always like to get there early. However, that was actually unnecessary for this race since each racer had an assigned spot on the racks. Oh well. Coffee and camaraderie got me through the wait ;)
Event warmup:

None - for a race of this distance, I don't warm up. I got in the water for a few strokes before my wave start, but that was just to get wet and test out the goggles.
Swim
  • 40m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water temp felt great, despite sounding warm, and no chop/waves. I was perfectly comfortable in my full-sleeve suit. Swimming is not my strong point, but I was very pleased with how it went for me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers were available, but I chose not to use them - it was a steep short climb up to TA out of the water, and I decided to strip my suit myself once at my nest. T1 went fine overall - nothing great, but nothing bad.
The transition spots were really packed together (more than usual, IMO) - I struggled a bit unracking my bike and getting it "clear", but no big deal.

Let the stripper do her thing ;)
Bike
  • 2h 54m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I crashed trying to avoid a pile-up at the first bottle exchange (why oh why was I not going slower??? Stupid me - I could've very easily prevented my own crash if I had just been a tad more cautious!!) - pretty gnarly road rash & sprained wrist. Bike seemed OK, so I put the chain back on & finished bike leg.
No drafting issues, and no issues with bad behavior from other riders.
For folks doing their first race with a bottle-exchange: GO SLOW THRU THE EXCHANGE (especially the first one!) - even if you aren't getting a bottle yourself. These exchanges are crash magnets - I emphasize again - you really cannot be too cautious going through them ;)

Go slower through that first bottle exchange in particular. Otherwise, was very happy with bike portion.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Tight transition space made racking bike slower than desired, but no biggie. Ran ~50 yards towards Run Out, and decided to turn around back to my nest, and dump my near-empty Gu flak out of my jersey pocket. Cost me a few seconds, but the flask bulge was irritating my road rash.

Ditch Gu flask before leaving my nest. In a more important race, I would've just dropped the flask, but no reason to dump perfectly good equipment in a normal race.
Run
  • 1h 49m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

One of my goals was to run the entire run leg. I allowed myself to walk through each aid station to ensure I drank a water and Gatorade at each (sun was pretty brutal at that point, and temps was ~85), but I ran the rest - I was thrilled about that. I was happy my pace stayed consistent throughout the run, but was happy to see that finish line when I finally did!!

Nothing comes to mind.
Post race
Warm down:

Food & mingle & visited the medics to get patched up ;)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike crash, but that didn't hinder me too much

Event comments:

This was my first-ever 70.3 (WOOT!), and I'm thrilled with how well it went for me, despite the crash :)
The race is an extremely well-run race event, start to finish. Organiztion & communication was excellent. The volunteers were plentiful & very helpful. Would highly recommend this race to others.

Last updated: 2010-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:52 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 42/127
Overall: 0/1024
Performance: Average
none
Suit: full-sleeve B70 Helix
Course: Straight out-n-back course along a buoy line. Not a big fan of this since folks can stray too easily into oncoming traffic - I had one near miss on the way back in, and I was pretty far outside (not inside) of course!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:54:05 | 56 miles | 19.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/127
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Nice course overall, and very clearly marked and very well marshalled. A coupla bad stretches of road, but certainly nothing unreasonable. Numerous rolling hills, but no huge climbs. No scary turns (IMO).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:49:23 | 13.1 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/127
Performance: Good
Course: Nice course - some rolling hills, but nothing killer. Portion near turnaround point was gravel. Again, course was very well marked, and very well marshalled.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %UNK
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-26 12:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Subject: Chisago Lakes Triathlon Half Iron

2010-07-26 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3004890

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: Chisago Lakes Triathlon Half Iron
Nice job on your first half!  Bike aid stations scare me too.  Just a recipe for an accident.  Glad you were able to get back on the bike and finish strong.
2010-07-26 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3005031

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Thanks Pattie!

I read DB's race report too - great comments there.  I was surprised to hear abotu the run course, my Garmin matched the mileage markers exactly, and I clocked it at a hair over 13.1.  Oh well, nothing's ever perfect.

I really enjoyed it - in addition to my first half, this was my biggest race - it was fun to see so much variety of talent out there. 

Giving DKT a high-five as I was just starting the run and he was finishing really gave me an appreciation of what amazing athletes the pro's like him & Cathy are. Truly inspiring & awesome to watch!  Equally inspiring were the slower folks who steadily HTFU'd their way to the finish after a long day on the course - you could see the pain on their face, but they still pushed through.

A great day of achievement out there for so many folks!

Cheers, Chris
2010-07-26 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3005164

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Great race and congrats on the first HIM!  It looks like you're all set for IMoo. 

So you're garmin showed 13.1 huh?  Hmm... maybe I cut the course somewhere!  

2010-07-26 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3005324

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Doh, scratch my previous - my Garmin had the run short too...

Now that I look at my file online, it's not what I remember my watch reading as I neared the finish...  I guess I was delusional, but I distictly remember my Garmin reading 13.14 as I entered back into the park...  Strange!!

Great race - congrats on your awesome times!

Cheers, Chris
2010-07-26 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3005461

User image

Regular
Central MN
Outstanding first race - and a fantastic time given the race conditions and the crash. I do wish they would widen the swim course, though. I had a near hit once or twice last year, too.

2010-07-27 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Nice job out there....sorry to hear baout the crash
2010-07-29 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3007329

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great job!  And with a crash too!  Wow.  I am thrilled that you finished the day with a positive outlook.  Sounds like IMMOO will be a lot of fun for you.  

2010-09-22 10:53 PM

User image

New user

hydro-  had you done any shorter races prior to the HIM?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chisago Lakes Triathlon Half Iron Rss Feed