Tri Blue Sky
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 21s
Overall Rank = 42/450
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at dark thirty, 4:00 am and got there at 7 am. Took my time setting things up, and still had 10 minutes to spare at the swim start. I was yawning the entire way over there, very sleepy.

Coffee, bagel and banana, Infinit to drink.
Event warmup:

A few minutes in the water to adjust to the temperature.
Swim
  • 12m 32s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim started off at a waist deep group of about 50+ guys. You hit the first turn buoy in 100M and made a sharp right on around the bend. I knew this would be a trouble spot, so I purposely tried to get ahead of the pack early on. Seemed to work alright, as the turning was not bad. Drafted well, thanks a lot to clear water. By the end I knew I pushed the beginning, because I was very winded. Long run up to transition added another minute to the swim time.
What would you do differently?:

Take masters swimming classes over the winter to boost your speed in the pool. Focusing on bike/run has caused my swim times to drop off. I need good strong swimming over winter to bring it back.
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Long run from the water to transition had me pretty winded. And of course, my T-spot was right at the swim exit, so I had horrible position and had to run quite a distance with all of my gear. Not to mention that the mount line for the bike was another 50 yards away. But enough complaining, helmet on, gamin on and I was off. I love keeping it simple.

Carry Garmin with me on the swim? Keep it under the swim cap to keep water out of it, and put it on while I am running to transition. Either that or get an elastic strap so I wont have to fumble with the latch hook to get it on my wrist. Cost me 5 seconds.
Bike
  • 33m 33s
  • 11.8 miles
  • 21.10 mile/hr
Comments:

As I went out of the park, fast and flat, I attempted to get my HR to Zone 3/4 border, my sweet spot. However, I knew this was not going to happen based on my pace, so I just went with it, keeping in mind my HR so I wouldnt completely blow up. I felt fast, but I could have pushed more (except for the fact that my legs were so drained). Passed a few folks and got passed myself, so I cant complain too much.

Not kill my legs the day before.

I am still acting too conservatively in sprints. I need to blow up, and see how long I can hold on, as opposed to waiting right below the blow-up point. Push harder.

Relax the upper body. I had a cyclist pass me and tell me to relax the shoulders. I adjusted and kept moving. Thanks for the advice!
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Quick feet was the focus. I came flying in, flying dismount and gracefully jumped off the bike. I was working it, and the crowd seemed to like it :) Tried moving my feet fast while navigating my bike. I need to work more on this and do some navigation drills if I want to get faster at it.

The person in front of me did have his shit all in my place, so that was aggravating more so than debilitating.
Run
  • 24m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Doing an 18 mile run the day before, I knew that my run time was going to suck. Surprisingly, I felt pretty good, albeit slow. One killer hill that could have used some stairs, and a long climb to mile 1.5 and it was pretty much downhill the rest of the way. Paced off a guy with a mile left, and that seemed to speed me up a lot. Came into the finish in a sprint, felt good to be done.

Not run on trashed legs. More speed work as opposed to distance.

Work the downhills a bit more? Hard to do that on trails though, since I did not want to snap an ankle.

Relax the upper body while running. Arms and shoulders are way too tense.
Post race
Warm down:

Massage helped to stretch out the legs. Stretching and walking around. Its hard to "cool down" when it is 95 deg out! Waited around for awards, and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ironman training, nuff said. With that in mind, I think I did pretty well considering I have not done any speed training.

Thats going to be my focus over the winter:
- speed work
- intervals for the bike
- masters swim
- maybe a marathon in march '11

Last updated: 2010-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:32 | 600 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/450
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Point to point, curving along the shoreline
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:40
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:33 | 11.8 miles | 21.10 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: Out and back with 2 turnarounds along the way
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:03 | 03.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Loop with some trail running thrown in.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?