Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 40m 15s
Overall Rank = 29/163
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/27
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 and ate 3 hours before the race - oatmeal, navel orange, cherry juice, trail mix, greek yogurt w/cinnamon (approx. 600 cal). Got dressed, got a cup of coffee, used the bathroom, and headed to the race site. Pumped up bike tires, put nutrition and bottles on bike, and got body marked. Used the bathroom a WHOLE bunch of times! Hopped on the bus at about 7:30 to head to the swim start. Put on my wetsuit, studied the course, and tried to relax. Took a gel and some water at 8:30 (15 min. before start) and then dropped off bag of stuff to pick up at finish.
Event warmup:

Didn't really do a warm-up for this one. With the shuttle to the swim start and a lot of waiting time, and the fact that it will be a pretty long race, I decided I'd warm-up enough eventually!
Swim
  • 30m 22s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water temp. felt really good - not too cold at all! The water was REALLY salty, so I tried hard not to swallow any. My navigation was really good until I made the big turn, and then I went off course a bit before I realized I wasn't with the pack any more. I felt like I finished strong once I got straightened out. The wetsuit stripper had my suit off in a flash and the timing mat was about 100 feet from the water.
What would you do differently?:

I need to keep improving my navigation skills, but I feel like my swimming is getting much stronger overall.
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

This time is just an estimate. It is the bike+T1 time reported on the site - the time on my bike. I have a feeling T1 was longer than this and that my bike time was a little shorter. It was a LONG run from the water to T1 - down the dock, through a parking lot, down a driveway, across the road, and all the way to the other end of the transition area. My bike rack spot was right inside the entrance end, so I had a long run out with my bike. All of our stuff had to be in a bag, but I felt like I got everything out and tied it back up pretty fast.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 58m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I maintained a HR of right around 140 which was the upper end of my target range. I felt like I maintained a pretty high cadence the whole time. I started w/my pb sandwiches 15min. into the bike and then 2 more every 45 min. after that and finished with a gel. I drank from my 270kcal Perpetuem bottle every 15min. in between. I felt like I paced myself well, and sustained the hardest effort that I could for that distance. The ride was beautiful! My rear end got REALLY sore towards the end. It would have been much easier with real bike shorts.

Consider using better bike shorts. I think a faster bike and a better bike fit will be the next step here, but tons more miles will help, too. I was pretty happy with where I was with what I had today. I probably needed to drink a little more, as I seemed dehydrated at the end of the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Someone grabbed my bike the second I crossed the line. I hardly got my helmet off in time to hand it to them. All of our transition stuff was in a bag, but I got my running shoes on pretty fast. I had my race number, visor, and bottle tied together, so I just grabbed it all and put it on on the run.

Nothing. I was really happy with this transition.
Run
  • 2h 07m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I maintained a HR of right around 150, which was also in my target range. I was a little disappointed with my pace, but I felt that I gave it all I had. I think this was the trade off for backing off of some of my planned run training when my pelvis became sore a month or so before the race. It didn't bother me at all here, so I think I made the right decisions.

I probably need to drink more here, too. I will try to see a chiropractor for a gait analysis to see what I can do to train harder and stay healthy.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked for about 15 min. and tried to drink some water. My stomach cramped up pretty badly right afterward. I ended up taking two Pepto tabs and that seemed to help a lot. Eventually, I was able to eat some trail mix, and drink more water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably just the fact that it was my first tri season. I was very happy with my race overall.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:22 | 2078 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/27
Overall: 87/163
Performance: Good
Suit: full zoot suit
Course: The swim was an "L" shaped course through two channels. The water was a little choppy at first and there was a pretty decent current the whole way.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:36
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:58:20 | 56 miles | 18.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/27
Overall: 29/163
Wind: Some
Course: The course was relatively flat with a few rises and falls. There was a long, fun stretch on the interstate. The course felt fast until about the last 16 miles when there was a significant head wind. I think I averaged about 19.1mph until I hit that last stretch.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:07:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/27
Overall: 36/163
Course: This was an out and back course along the waterfront and through downtown. There were two big bridges which made for significant hills at the very beginning and the very end. There were also two short hills in town, but not bad at all.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes