RichmondMultisports.com
105F / 41C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 38m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50+
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:15....loaded the kayak on the car then my bike.....breakfast of peanutbutter on a whole wheat bagel with a banana. Some coffee....
Drove up to Richmond and unloaded the kayak so my husband could be one of the race kayakers. I had to unload my bike and gear and walk it up to transition about 4 blocks away.

The other kayakers asked me if I was ready....NO! You'll be fishing my azz out of the river was my response. They laughed at me and said I was ready.
Event warmup:

A long walk up to tranistion, set up my spot. Body marking....talking to Kristen who was on for the du and my friends from swimming who were racing (Scott and Melissa) LONG wait in the portapotty line. Talked to the girl in line ahead of me. The announcer was making sure we all had salt tablets and offering them at the table. The girl in line ahead of me asked her sherpa to go over and get some for both of us.
Swim
  • 42m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

I stayed in the back knowing that my swim is craptastic at best. Started off "okay" but by 300 meters I felt heaviness in my chest. It didn't feel like my asthma came out to play so I figured it was more my race nerves. Given how sick I had been through May and June my training was way off and I felt really unprepared for this swim. I only had two other open water sessions in the past couple months. So I flipped over and backstroked a bit to settle down the breathing. After a while I noticed that the air smelled really foul and figured that at least the water doesn't smell bad so I rolled over and began to swim again. I was impressed that I had stayed pretty much on course with the backstroke I did! Every so often I would have to pause a second to get my bearings to site a bit, saw the big yellow turn bouy at the rock and made my turn. My husbands kayak was on the other side of the rock. I saw him mouthing something as I went by but never heard him--or any other kayaker for that matter. Sighting coming back in was spot on. I kept the smoke stack in view then as I got closer looked for the yellow bouy and exit flags. At one point my goggle strap flipped into my face and I had to push it back over my head. I was wearing new goggles that had a smoke colored lens to cut down the glare on the way in and that helped some.....but they weren't as tight as I thought. No leakage though, that was good.
Somewhat slow but better than my preswim from Friday and not too bad considering the backstroke.
What would you do differently?:

Not backstroke? I couldn't help being sick a couple months back so there isn't much I could do about OWS practice time. Though the concept of getting a more efficient swim stroke is still a good one....
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

This is the WORST transition run!! Out of the river and up the dock, I left flip flops just off the dock path and stopped to put those on. The "run" was little carpet wedges over pebbles, an old train track....a flight of stairs and 2 blocks to run! I walked fast until the top of the stairs, then ran until the powerade stop.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 20s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Starts off with the Cap2Cap ride route, a few good hills with some nice flat sections. Averaged 17-18mph on most of the ride. I played leap frog with another woman for most of the first part of the course. Made the turn onto Strath Rd and the riders coming back down Strath were turning wide. I had to go cautious through that intersection cause they were fast on a slight descent with the turn and I didn't want to be taken down by them. I was surprised when I hit the turn around.
Came back down and maneuvered the turns well. I let out a loud hoot when I hit that sweet descent before the big hill going over 895. That hill was sucky but I knew that it would.
Another intersection on Varina Rd was kind of tough with traffic. The police and volunteers were directing it well, but there were at least 3 cars there and I was trying to observe where they were going so I could keep moving safely.
Hit the fork coming back onto Osborne and the volunteer waved at me so the police got out of their car and checked traffic for me. Nice long straightaway down Osborne. I was well out of Heed in my aerochamber and the water I had in the other chamber was luke warm at best so I kept trying to grab the water bottle out of the cage. Not used to doing that on this bike so the twitchiness was a factor in slowing me down some to retrieve and replace the bottle.
Hit another nice downhill that I wanted to stay aero in but I had to cross the railroad tracks then the road starts to turn some as you come into town and again, I was more cautious than I would have been on the road bike.

Not be quite as cautious.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

No problem getting bike re racked, just socks and shoes....switch bike helmet for run visor. Grab a gu. Disoriented almost headed out of the transition area in the wrong direction.
Run
  • 1h 18m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

This run course is HORRIBLE! It is a city run which I have never experienced in a tri before. Starting out I was sprayed with hoses by some of the Stadler kids. Their mom was racing this week and their dad is an ER doc I used to work with. Felt good. I was about 3/4 mile in and saw a runner down being worked over by EMS. He had heat stroke.
It was beastly hot by the time I got out there. I figured it was NOT going to be a PR kind of day. If my legs and back were sore I walked. If I needed to cool down some, I walked. Along the canal which is pretty for the most part. At least 4 sets of stairs. It was ridiculous the amount of stairs I had to navigate!
Around mile 2 they handed out cold sponges. I stuck it inside my sports bra and kept moving. Then I hit this long path and had another set of stairs.....only it led to a freaking trestle bridge over the river. I am terrified of heights. I saw Kristen walking back in on the du and yelled at her "KRISTEN! I'M AFRAID OF HEIGHTS!" What are you gonna do? I walked over the bridge holding the rail for dear life (even with chain link sides on the bridge)....Kept moving, stopped at the next aid station and re wet my sponge, grabbed more water. Now up a hill to the turnaround. Come back down the hill and I ran more, stopping at the aid station for more water and to rewet the sponges. Made my way across that horrible trestle bridge again......to the next aid station. She gave me a couple more sponges, I was up to 3 sponges now. I had one in the small of my back, one just inside my waistband in front and another one in my bra. Got a couple laughs when I commented about sponges in inappropriate places! I was running at this point with a couple ladies and suggested that if their trisuits allowed to put a sponge in the small of the back cause it felt like heaven. They agreed!
Down the next set of stairs, along the canal again. More stairs up, another path, back down.....so it went.....Last aid station, more water to drink, re wet the sponges......Walked a good bit from mile 5 until under the other bridge tunnel. Ran in. My husband was at the finish line with the water and cold cloths.

What can you do it's over 100 degrees outside? I paced cautiously and allowed myself to walk as needed to avoid overheating.
Post race
Warm down:

MIST TENT was wonderful. Cold sponges and cloths supplied by my husband. The RD had seen me swim on Friday and commented that the 3 or 4 of us she was most worried about made it in fine on the swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Asthma/bronchitis/ sinus infection in May and June messing up my training and OWS

Hotter than hell outside, I paced consevatively to finish in one piece.

Event comments:

Post race PF Changs, YUMMY. More water, powerade....Wine!!

The run course sould be rearranged to not be so filled with stairs and such. It isn't that far from the half mary or full mary course so using part of that would work.

Last updated: 2010-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:37 | 1640 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: tri
Course: Upstream about 850 yards following contour of the river, around a large rock and back about 650 yards.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 89F / 32C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:31:20 | 24.85 miles | 16.32 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat, few good hills. Moderate shade.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:18:59 | 06.21 miles | 12m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: City running, sidewalks, STAIRS! Bridges....The PITS!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-26 5:18 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: Rocketts Landing

2010-07-26 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3005803

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Rocketts Landing
Congrats! Way to beat the heat. Stairs on the run - ick!
2010-07-26 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
big smile reading your report, those were brutal conditions...i pictured you rolling over on your back to do the backstroke and then flipping back over, nice work! killed the bike and stayed alive on the run...what more could you ask? I'm going spongeworthy for my next race!
2010-07-27 6:15 AM

User image

You done GREAT! Running in hell is no fun but ya done it and ya done it good
2010-07-27 7:16 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Nice race despite the conditions!!

The run course sounds more like an obstacle course than a run!!! Throw in 100 plus degrees and it is a wonder that anyone was running!!  Great job getting out there and getting it done!!

2010-07-27 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

You got it done.  Great job!  I can't imagine competing in that kind of heat.  I'd have been in big trouble out there.

2010-07-27 10:53 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Great job despite the crazy conditions!  Way to show the swim who's boss!!
2010-07-28 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
Congrats on the finish consdiering the nasty, hot, weather you had!!!
2010-07-28 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Sweetness, you are AMAZING!!!!!!! Wow! I'm impressed! Nice job! I think it's a very respectable time, especially being sick and all the training you've missed! Congrats!
2010-08-01 7:49 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Lots of aspects of that race sounded like no fun.  Way to push through it all and have a good race!
2010-08-08 7:06 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
OMG I'm tired hot and exhausted just reading that.  Great job on finishing and staying up right. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rocketts Landing Rss Feed