Adams County Chamber of Commerce
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m 44s
Overall Rank = 133/355
Age Group = CLYDESDALE
Age Group Rank = 11/31
Pre-race routine:

Once again, my routine started with a 4 hours of sleep. I had got everything prepped the afternoon before, so there wasn't much to do but check the air in my tires.
Had a granola bar, bottle of water, and an energy drink on the way to the race. I'm really trying to kick the caffiene habit before races, but can't seem to be get into the pre-race mindest without it.
Event warmup:

Set up my transition spot, and waited atleast half an hour for my wave to start. I was in the last individual wave, which I'm told is because I signed up pretty late.
Swim
  • 08m 24s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Rough Start, a real clobber fest. My timing chip felt like it was going to fall off, but I was trying to avoid stopping to get it on right. Then, half way back from thre firs turn I ran into three swimmers that were swimming at the same pace nearly parallel, very hard to pass. An opeing between them opened up, but closed half way through my attempt at getting through, resulting in some hardcore bumping.
The water is pretty shallow, but before the race I had resigned myself to swim as far as I could. However, as I neared shore, I noticed that I was losing ground to people who were walking. So, I stood up and did a few "Dolphin" dives on my way to shore. I gained a little time back.
What would you do differently?:

Draft a little better and pick a better line. It was an okay swim, about as good as a I get at this point.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

I had my race belt today, which made it quick. However, once again, I opted to wear a bike jersey so I could avoid using an underseat bag. But, I forgot to put my spare tube and levers in anyway. So, it was a waste of effort. I struggled hard to get in my clips and get going.

I'm going to concide defeat to my under the saddle bag and use one next time. And, I also plan on wearing something easier to get in and out of.
Bike
  • 50m 40s
  • 16 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike course went well. However, it was closer to 16.5 miles than 16. I passed a lot of people, but being in the last individual wave, that really didn't mean much. So, I wasn't sure how I was doing.
Diaster struck about 1/4 mile into the bike, as I fumbled my only water bottle of cytomax never to be seen again....
Cross winds most of the race, with a good stretch of tail wind, and a pretty good, yet short, stretch of headwind heading back.

Not drop my water bottle. Push a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Decided to just pick up my bike and run with it. It was actually much faster than trying to run along side of it. Got a few weird looks.
I downed half of a bottle of water, as I had dropped my bottle on the bike. struggled to get my shoes on. took my time.

I need to practice this transition.
Run
  • 30m 17s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out doing the fat man shuffle, a slow half run/half death post bike shuffle as usual. However, I resigned myslef to not walk, not the hills, not anything this time. There was good hill about halfway, and I told myslef I wasn't going to walk and I didn't, which got me going. After this I picked up the pace, to around a 830 mile from my 11 I was shuffling at. Not sure where it came from, but it restored some of my confidence. That being said, for the first time, I actually felt like I "ran" most of the run and actually sprinted to the finish. It doesn't show in my time. But the second half of my run really left me feeling good at the end of the day.

I need to continue to run. My next planned event is the Madison Mini-Marathon 1/2, so I should be getting in some good miles. With my intent being trying to finish (not compete) in the Lake Geneva Half-Iron, in September.
Post race
Warm down:

Kissed wife, drank water, kissed baby, showered.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of sleep, continued poor eating habits pre-race and everyday.

Event comments:

Great race, beautiful venue. I'll be back for sure. T-shirts were on the lame side, but how many shirts do you really need??

Last updated: 2010-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:24 | 440 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/31
Overall: 0/355
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-Shorts
Course: Wade Start, Out and back "L" shape
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:50:40 | 16 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/31
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Mostly flat loop, with a 3-4 mile stretch of small rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:17 | 03 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/31
Course: slight hills with a trail run.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-26 11:11 PM

New user

Subject: Castle Rock Triathlon

2010-07-27 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3006434

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Castle Rock Triathlon

Thanks for the report.  Great Job!!

I want to do this race one of these years...we vacation for a week on CRL right around when this race is.  I love CRL so much it hurts.    Gorgeous area.  Water was very warm this year for you I'm guessing.

Lake Geneva Half has a very hilly 2-loop run just so you are aware of that.  And by very, I mean at least 3 solid hard steep climbs per loop.  Swimming in Lake Geneva is beautiful though.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Castle Rock Triathlon Rss Feed