General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 17s
Overall Rank = 68/511
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/29
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0400, got dressed, ate breakfast and headed out towards McKinney from Marcy and Steve's house (thanks for hosting you awesome people!!). Made a slight turn booboo, but had time to fix it and made it to the race site. Set up my spot, it wasn't open racking fully--they had ranges for where to put ours, and mine wasn't in too bad of a spot, plenty of room and not too far from bike out but across the whole area from run out.
Event warmup:

Did about a .75 mile easy run. Then it was wait in line to swim.
Swim
  • 06m 38s
  • 350 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

So, it was a pool swim and you put in expected time, I fudged some, but it's a good thing I did, cause a lot of people fudged A LOT. As soon I went in I passed the gal in front of me, and then another guy, and then on the next lap I passed two people at the wall, and then another guy, and then I was on my own. It was a little difficult to pass, and some of the folks weren't sharing the lane well. I'm sure that slowed me down a bit. Then, getting out of the pool a volunteer just stood there and initially pointed me the wrong way, thanks...oh well. Got to where I needed to, but that was probably 4-5 secs, and that adds onto the swim time. Okay swim considering I haven't been working super hard on the swim, but definitely am glad I've been at the 50yd pool as that made the length of the pool about normal vs. being in a 25m mindset.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Swim faster. My legs weren't working well, they just seemed "tired." weird.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Pretty good T1 once I got out there. Got the helmet and shoes and glasses on super fast and actually passed a gal on my rack, in my AG, out of transition here. 2nd fastest in AG.

Go the right way to the gate out of the swim.
Bike
  • 34m 16s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.01 mile/hr
Comments:

So, I wanted to hammer this course. For the first 4-5 miles I wanted to rip my ovaries out and throw them on the side of the road. My legs were working okay, but I couldn't push as much as I wanted due to just pain. Argh, seriously. I was frustrated, but pushed through the best I could. Around mile 5 that went away, so that was good and I picked it up on the 2nd lap, but had to dodge some people then. Passed lots of folks, was only passed by 2 guys. The turns were tough with lots of people too, too many turns on this course slowed me down, but I took them fairly well. So, there I am, pushing hard, get to the last 1/4 mile or so, and slip out of my shoes nice and easy to ride into transition. It was the easiest I ever got out of them, SWEET. Of course, if it's too easy, it's too good to be true--one of the shoes slipped, hit the ground, and off it pops! AHHH, and I can't leave an expensive cycling shoe! A nice spectator picked it up, but I had to get out of the way of other cyclists, stop, go back, pick it up, and then go in. I wasn't going to put it on the bike, so I just put the heel tab in my mouth and rode in with a shoe in my mouth...I'm sure it was a site. I wish I had a picture! Probably lost at least a minute here. Grrr..that would've put me just a few seconds off 1st place and above 21.5mph. Oh well! Crap happens!

umm, not have pain for the first 5 miles, not lose a shoe. But, took the bike course as fastest in AG by .6 mph so not too bad.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

This was pretty good and fast, but I did booboo and for some reason put my hat on while at transition, when I should've grabbed and ran. I always do it that way. And then an overzealous volunteer literally stopped me to direct me, despite me knowing where I was going. That took a good 5 secs off my time. But for being the furthest from the run out, this isn't too bad.

Follow normal protocol of not putting hat on until the move.
Run
  • 23m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I haven't been working on speed work, so I don't expect much out of these 5ks, so I just pushed it the best I could. Took advantage of the shade. Shouldn't have slowed slightly for the first water--didn't really need it and it's not easy to drink out of styrofoam cups--paper ones you can crush to sip. Anyhow, took advantage of the downhills, and if I saw a gal in front of me, I used them as a rabbit and I caught each one I saw. Pushed it hard into the finish. In the last 1/4 of a mile my shoe sole started bunching in the shoe--really, nuts?!? But it was okay, I could suck it up and sprint it in with it like that.

Do speedwork if I'm going to run a fast 5k, but this race wasn't really my focus, so it's okay. Was better than Pfluggerville last month, so that's good.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and waited for Karen to finish--she did well too!! We then got some of the breakfast they offered--pretty good spread really with some tasty cinnamon pancakes!! We both were doing El Scorcho that night, so we hydrated and carbed up. :) We waited for the awards, I thought I had 3rd in the AG. But then they announced 3rd and it wasn't me. AHHH, I hope we didn't wait for NOTHING. But then I got 2nd, yay! A nice little trophy, a 3 month pass to the fitness center there (gave that to Karen for being a faithful friend out there waiting with me!), and a free Chick-fil-A wrap (had that for lunch). I was "technically" 3rd in the AG, but 1st in our AG was 1st overall. I was the 6th woman overall. Fun times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed training! It's been a "fun" year with lots of life changes, so I've just been having fun and no working on too much improvement just more maintenance.

Event comments:

Very well done for a sprint tri with pool swim. They could do a better job of organizing the line for the swim, people definitely just went "whenever." And I think they could've briefed volunteers better. I appreciate the volunteers, but a few didn't have a clue what they were doing and actually slowed my progress cause of it.
Beautiful area, a few too many turns on the bike, but smooth pavement and no traffic. For a sprint they have a nice tech-shirt and the breakfast post-race was truly nice. I'd say if you want a sprint race in the DFW area, do this one.

Last updated: 2010-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:38 | 350 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/29
Overall: 77/511
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-Suit
Course: Pool Swim, 50m pool, 7 lengths, one way traffic only. About 3 secs between swimmers
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:16 | 12 miles | 21.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/29
Overall: 67/511
Wind: Some
Course: 2-loop course with LOTS AND LOTS of turns, at least 3 U-turn like turns. Many, lots of TURNS.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:13 | 03.11 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/29
Overall: 86/511
Course: One loop course with a couple of long, gradual inclines, and some nice gradual declines. Part of it on a shaded track type material
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-27 9:05 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch

2010-07-27 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3006902

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch
I can't believe you do this as a warm up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch Rss Feed