General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 26m 54s
Overall Rank = 699/926
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Volunteered on setup on Friday so got a bit of a behind the scenes look at what goes in to setting up for a race. Larry and Michele are just super organized and detailed. Saturday went to watch all my friends do the sprint and just standing in the sun I was sweating bullets.

On Sunday I woke up around 4:50, walked the dog, double checked my bag and went on my way. Stopped at a 7-11 for some gatorade, power bars, etc. and drove the 3 miles to the park. Rack only had a few bikes on it so found a spot near the end. Knew it was going to be a long run out with the bike and long run back in. With the heat just made sure I kept drinking and eating and bought a couple GU's from Knapp's Cycles who were onsite.
Event warmup:

A lot of walking around and about a 5 minute swim warmup 15 minutes before my wave. Was strangely calm and unworried as knew it was more about finishing than racing given my less than desired training.
Swim
  • 46m 45s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well my 1st 200 to 400 meters was just awful. Felt like I couldn't catch my breath and went to a kayak 3 times just to get my heart rate under control. Couldn't believe it was happening as I wasn't even nervous going in. Must've wasted 10 minutes or so between the going to and hanging on to the kayak's. After the last time decided to just focus on nothing but my stroke and clear my mind and I just did my thing the last 1000 meters or so. As I got into my rhythm I found myself frustrated with myself for the beginning as I'm still not sure what happened with me.
What would you do differently?:

Relax! Not sure what else as I thought I was good to go.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Ok transition. Gathered myself and ran to my rack which was right inside transition. Made sure I grabbed a GU and downed some drink and off I went. Felt like I had to run for over a minute to get to the mat at the end of T1.

Could definitely rush a bit more but just wanted to make sure I was prepared for the ride.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 22s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 17.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Wanted to pace myself around 1:20 to 1:25 for the bike and basically did that. Left a few minutes out on the course but wanted to try and keep my legs somewhat fresh for what promised to be a long, hot run. Found myself around 4 to 5 other people who were about the same speed as I was going so we did some passing back and forth with each other which kept the ride from being boring. On the second loop I passed them and sped up some to lose them as I did feel like I had some good energy left.

Probably just push the bike more and get out of it what I can instead of worrying about the run.
Transition 2
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Ok transition. Didn't want to run too hard through transition as I knew the run was going to be brutal as I saw a lot of people walking as I came back through the park.
Run
  • 1h 08m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting running out of T2 and felt surprisingly ok if not very hot. Legs seemed ok and energy seemed ok. Ran at what felt like a more than comfortable pace for the 1st mile and hit the marked at 8:13. Was very happy with that and even harbored thoughts of pushing it a bit more. About 1 minute into my 2nd mile I felt it on an uphill part - my right hamstring just locked up. I stopped and tried to walk it out and it started feeling better. Started running again and again the next uphill just stopped me dead in my tracks and I almost dropped to the ground. Managed to stretch it out a bit but knew then that there would be a fair amount of walking to get through anything resembling an uphill. Probably walked 20 to 25 minutes of the 1 hour plus but that was the only way to not DNF and that wasn't going to be an option.

Need a better nutrition plan to held ward off cramping, etc. especially in the brutal heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed waters, cokes, pizza and anything else not nailed down as was just spent and starving. Forgot about the misting tent so bummed about that. Talked to the Ryan's Quest guys who were there and sat in some shade and drank/ate. Just wouldn't stop sweating.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training and I knew that. Also not paying enough attention to all the info on this site about proper nutrition both everyday and on race day especially given the heat.

Event comments:

What can you say about this race. Just the best there is and can't wait to take it on again next year but be able to race it hard and not worry about just finishing.

Last updated: 2010-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:45 | 1640 yards | 02m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/926
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:22 | 25.5 miles | 17.72 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:08:06 | 06.21 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %4
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-27 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2010-07-27 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3008766

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance
congrats it was a hot one
2010-07-27 11:42 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Awesome job Bob considering your lack of training and all that you've been going through!!! You and I need to get together and work on our OWS issues
2010-07-28 12:16 AM

User image

Expert
great job!!!  now on to the next challenge...trying to get a few of us to do the Columbia Trail Tromp in August from Long Valley to High Bridge...12 mile run on a FLAT trail...you in?
2010-07-28 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Great job at getting through it with all that has been going down on the home front..I've had the same issues with nutrition on hot days so I feel your pain!!
2010-07-30 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice job on that brutal day!

2010-07-31 9:36 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Congrats to you for even racing given all the things going on for you.  The heat can be brutal for cramping- glad you were able to get through it.  Nice ride too!
2010-08-01 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3008962

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
kagoscuba - 2010-07-28 1:16 AM

great job!!!  now on to the next challenge...trying to get a few of us to do the Columbia Trail Tromp in August from Long Valley to High Bridge...12 mile run on a FLAT trail...you in?

I wish. Doing the Born To Tri in Asbury Park this weekend and then all family ob's pretty much the rest of August.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed