General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 39/57
Pre-race routine:

typical banana and drink in the morning, good amount of water. stomach didn't feel 100% but thought it was typical pre-race feeling.. come to find out that wasn't the case later.
Event warmup:

light stretching
Swim
  • 37m 6s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

heard from many that the current was strong, didn't notice but I hadn't swam the OLY course before so had nothing to compare times to.. seemed to make decent progress, probably don't have to spot as much as I seemed to find why I drifted to my right so much. ended up getting a major calf cramp trying to get a foot on the rung of one of the ladders in the water.. can they be any higher? didn't feel fun running with that, didn't really stretch it out either.
What would you do differently?:

not spot so much, not swallow a large gulp of the river and then have to clear my lungs after..
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

long run back to T1 which added to the times, not a bad transition.. ran out of the Bike exit around others who were walking.

not cramp in my calf on the exit of the swim, T1 was decent though.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 6s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike started out interesting.. got moving on the bike out of T1, felt pretty good but wanted to keep it reigned in to get my HR down.. under an overpass and about to head out onto the parkway and I hit a bump and BAM.. my seat post slides ALMOST ALL THE WAY DOWN..WTF? is going through my mind.. pull over to take a look and looks like my clamp is loose (WTF again).. check for a multi-tool which I don't have and figure well, hopefully i'll see the SAG wagon quickly.. so here I am trying to ride "aero" with my seat being about 3-4" too low, can't make power to save my life (can't get anywhere near full extention on my legs). I take turns standing up and sitting up to see if it helps, course is a 2 lap 12ish mile ride.. about 10 miles into the first loop the wreck that i passed earlier (who I all hope are ok) is being attended to by an ambulance and THE SAG WAGON! ok, not happy that they crashed, but happy he is there.. Flag him down, takes a couple of min to come over.. explain situation..he takes a look and goes.."hmm, there is your problem.. cracked seat post clamp.. only thing that kept it from going all the way down is the # that they had us put on our bikes..try to tighten to no avail, so 200mph tape to the rescue.. allows me to get through the last loop plus without major issue.. not great, but wasn't like i was riding my 7 year old son's bike either.. pushed trying to make up for the time i lost.. bad idea...
oh and still feel "off" in the stomach, thought it was some of the river i swallowed...

not have a cracked seat post clamp, not toast my legs, not feel like crap in my stomach..
Transition 2
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

had problems with blisters barefoot a while back and lost more time than if I wore socks, so socks on powdered with baby powder and zootz on, pretty quick. 15 seconds or less.
stomach still not right.

try to figure out how NOT to blister in my zoots and see if I can run 6 miles without my orthotics.
Run
  • 1h 03m 54s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

so at this time my stomach is bothering me and i know something is off, can't seem to get in my groove.. ran most of the first loop aside from a couple of points on the tougher hills.. HEAT was killer in this, 95 deg plus heat index.. 2nd loop was more walking up and running everything else.. just didn't have it and felt like crap.

not feel like crap.not toast my legs on the bike trying to make up for clown style seat positioning.
Post race
Warm down:

walked. found shade.. drank water..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my daughter had dealt with a stomach bug a few days earlier, i was the lucky one cleaning it up.. (won't describe much else but you get the picture). didn't think i was affected, but after the race I just couldn't bounce back. normally even after tough hot races i bounce back pretty good within an hour and I felt nothing but complete exhaustion the remainder of the day.. ended up that I raced with the beginnings of the stomach bug my daughter had (with a possible mild fever to boot) which knocked me out of work on Monday.. finally getting back into life 100% and it's now wednesday..
no excuses, but i belive this and my seat post clamp failure contributed to my sub-par performance... need to come back and get my revenge.. just not montezuma's this time..

Event comments:

Team-Magic always puts on a good race, they seemed lacking on the run course this year for some reason from a volunteer standpoint. They also had the short course competitors go first this year which put the OLY racers on the course in the heat of the day... not sure about that decision and will ask them about it. overall they still put on great events, just was a tough one for me this year.. taking a week off to re-coup and back at it for the final sprint of the season.. gotta go balls to the walls!

Last updated: 2010-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:06 | 1640 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/57
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: elongated rectangle, 2 sections agsinst the current totalling probably 700 yards, remainder was with and accross the river.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:28:06 | 24.85 miles | 16.92 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: rolling hills on a closed course.. Team Magic closed down the entire parkway which is AWESOME.. road is in good shape, enough rollers to keep it interesting but able to get good speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:03:54 | 06.21 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: very hilly course.. VERY $%#$%@$%@ HOT.. 2 loop, up over a ped bridge, flatten on a loop, up 1st ave.. down 2nd.. up 3rd ave and over another bridge and do it again... challenging course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-28 11:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance Rss Feed