General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Child bike trailers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-29 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, TX
Subject: Child bike trailers
I'm looking into getting one of these for my 10 month old daughter wondering if you guys had any feedback (the good / bad / ugly). I've been looking at the Trek GoBug - with some pretty good reviews - whats your opinion?

(3p03oa3lb5O15U35X1a7eb71dc8b33a5918f2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
3p03oa3lb5O15U35X1a7eb71dc8b33a5918f2.jpg (4KB - 27 downloads)

2010-07-29 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3011825

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Child bike trailers

I have used a Burley Ultra-light for years, I like several of their models.

I would issue one warning, I have seen warnings about not using for children under 2.  I think if you used it with a car seat (if you can figure out how to get the car seat in the trailer) then you could use it.  But children under 2 have a hard time holding their heads up and the bumping could cause issues.

I think 10 months is a little young, check with your pediatrician to get their input.

2010-07-29 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Just please don't ride it in the city (bike path or park only).  It scares the crap out of me to see these crossing streets even if riding on the sidewalk...My friend saw a car almost wipe one out, because he saw the bike, but didn't see the trailer...just my $.02.
2010-07-29 10:47 AM

Veteran
Griswold, Connecticut
Here's a link to a similar thread in Gear Reviews:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=208039&posts=7&mid=2860434&highlight=chariot&highlightmode=1&action=search#M2860434

I started some light biking with my son when he was 3.

I used a seatpost mount option at first (on a heavier MTB), but really didn't like it because it was hard to mount the bike and the kids moving around shifts the weight of the bike making it unstable.  I never rode a road bike with it, but can only imagine it would be significantly worse for stability.  As the kids get older it is easier to teach them to sit still, but you are adding even more weight on the back of the bike. 

So I got rid of the seatpost mount and we bought a Chariot Cougar:
http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/cougar.php

I can't say enough good things about it.  We use it for biking, running, hiking, etc.  I got a 2 seater and started using it when my 1st daughter was an infant (4 years ago) (they make an infant sling specifically for this).  Frequently my 4 year old will fall asleep while riding in it.  The kids can take a snack or stuffed animal and enjoy the ride.  Last fall I used it to take my son (6 years old) to soccer practice 8 miles away.  He still enjoyed riding in it.

We had a new baby in May and have already started using it for walking with her in the baby sling.  I won't bike with her in it until she is around 6 months.

It's more expensive, but the quality is great. 

2010-07-29 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
I really like the Chariot that I have for my daughter.  It is very functional and easily converted to jogging stroller, regular stroller, and for cross country skiing.  It is a little pricey but has allowed me to get rid of all other strollers besides the little Macleran umbrella. 
2010-07-29 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
I used a Burley for years.  The wheels come off and it folds flat so you can transport it easily.  And it has lasted!  I bought mine in 1993 when my youngest was a year old.  Used it for over 5 years, then passed it to my sister, who then passed it along to our other sister who is still using it.  I'm hoping it's still around for the grandkids.

2010-07-29 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3012031

sawfish99 - 2010-07-29 11:47 AM Here's a link to a similar thread in Gear Reviews:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=208039&posts=7&mid=2860434&highlight=chariot&highlightmode=1&action=search#M2860434

I started some light biking with my son when he was 3.

I used a seatpost mount option at first (on a heavier MTB), but really didn't like it because it was hard to mount the bike and the kids moving around shifts the weight of the bike making it unstable.  I never rode a road bike with it, but can only imagine it would be significantly worse for stability.  As the kids get older it is easier to teach them to sit still, but you are adding even more weight on the back of the bike. 

So I got rid of the seatpost mount and we bought a Chariot Cougar:
http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/cougar.php

I can't say enough good things about it.  We use it for biking, running, hiking, etc.  I got a 2 seater and started using it when my 1st daughter was an infant (4 years ago) (they make an infant sling specifically for this).  Frequently my 4 year old will fall asleep while riding in it.  The kids can take a snack or stuffed animal and enjoy the ride.  Last fall I used it to take my son (6 years old) to soccer practice 8 miles away.  He still enjoyed riding in it.

We had a new baby in May and have already started using it for walking with her in the baby sling.  I won't bike with her in it until she is around 6 months.

It's more expensive, but the quality is great. 

I've got the double as well and absolutely love it. Real high quality - sturdy as heck.
2010-07-29 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3011978

New user
dermoski - 2010-07-29 10:19 AM Just please don't ride it in the city (bike path or park only).  It scares the crap out of me to see these crossing streets even if riding on the sidewalk...My friend saw a car almost wipe one out, because he saw the bike, but didn't see the trailer...just my $.02.

x2  

Everytime I see one of these cross the street I hold my breadth!
2010-07-29 11:36 AM

User image

Regular
KDEN
I've had the Kidarooz, now called the Croozer 525 for 6 years. Converts into both jogging stroller and bike trailer.  Weights about 30#.  Put both my kids in it, and I have an extra 110# behind me on the bike.  Take the trailer off, and I fly! 

2010-07-29 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Monadnock
Not sure if you're looking for comments on that specific trailer, or trailers in general or the age of the rider, but to be honest they scare the $$hit out of me. I'm not an overly protective parent and by no means would I look down or pass judgment on anyone who used a trailer, but they just seem so helpless and exposed on the road. I've just gotten back into riding on the road and our kids are a little too old for a trailer, but whenever I see one on the road, I wonder if I could have/would have and the answer is always...don't think so.

I won't say "be careful" because of course you're going to be careful. I might say Godspeed, but then again I'd say that to anyone out there on a bike regardless of whether or not they had their kids in back.
2010-07-29 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

As a follow up.

I have owed my trailer for 15 years, ridden a lot of miles with kids in tow.  While I am sure there are people that have heard or had problems; I personally have never had a problem.  The burley I have has a ridged aluminum frame around the bugger.  I can't say it will not happen, but I think most people tend to see the trailer, and give me a wider birth then they do other cyclist.

If you are looking at several models, you should likely do a search and see what others are saying.  I know there are a few BT'ers that use trailers, but they may not see this posting.

2010-07-29 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3012146

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

IrishLadinTexas - 2010-07-29 12:28 PM
dermoski - 2010-07-29 10:19 AM Just please don't ride it in the city (bike path or park only).  It scares the crap out of me to see these crossing streets even if riding on the sidewalk...My friend saw a car almost wipe one out, because he saw the bike, but didn't see the trailer...just my $.02.

x2  

Everytime I see one of these cross the street I hold my breadth!

I'm extra careful about what roads I'm willing to take my kids on, but it's great for a trip to the grocery store without kids. All the benefit of people being extra careful around you and none of the risk to the kids. Cool

I notice I have to spin much smoother to keep mine from... I'm not sure how to describe it... jerking or lunging I guess. It's much worse when I stand up.

2010-07-29 2:46 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Given that my kids are now 19 and 23, it's been a while since I used a trailer, but I used to trailer them all the time.  Good resistance workout.

To those who are nervous seeing them on the road, I would point out that there are many people (some of them even on this board) who think ANY bike riding on the road is scary dangerous. I have a friend who will only ride on the bicycle/rollerblade trail near her home.  Even though she lives in a very bicycle-friendly area, with a LOT of riders.  Trailers are as safe as the parent riding the bike.  They are much safer than putting the kid on a seat mounted over the back wheel, which screws up the center of gravity, and is guaranteed to go over if  the bike tips.  I always ran my trailer with both flashers and a big flag (like the guys on recumbent bikes) to increase visibility. And of course, you have to assume that you and the trailer are both invisible to cars, and ride accordingly.
2010-07-29 3:46 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
we had a Burley that both kids could fit in.  A few things to keep in mind:

one child seems to do fine...2 and there can be some problems between the siblings;

I know some have said they worry about traffic.  while I avoided roads...seems motorist were much more curtious when I had the trailer then when I ride solo;

this was the scariest thing for me...wife and I took the kids maybe 3-4 miles from the home for an event.  The ride home is uphill and the temp and risen close to 90 degrees.  These trailer the kids don't get much air circulation...especially going uphill.  Anyway, we were almost home when I thought the kids were being unusually quite.  I stopped to look around and the kids were just beat red!  They each had bottles of water but it reminded me of when I have run or biked to far without water.  Anyway, they were okay...but we sold the Burley later that summer at a garage sale.  That was their last Burley ride.

Not saying that to discourage anyone from bike trailers...just to keep this in mind.  There little bodies in that plastic bucket don't cool like ours do while on the bike.
2010-07-29 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3012917

Veteran
rayd - 2010-07-29 3:46 PM we had a Burley that both kids could fit in.  A few things to keep in mind:

one child seems to do fine...2 and there can be some problems between the siblings;

I know some have said they worry about traffic.  while I avoided roads...seems motorist were much more curtious when I had the trailer then when I ride solo;

this was the scariest thing for me...wife and I took the kids maybe 3-4 miles from the home for an event.  The ride home is uphill and the temp and risen close to 90 degrees.  These trailer the kids don't get much air circulation...especially going uphill.  Anyway, we were almost home when I thought the kids were being unusually quite.  I stopped to look around and the kids were just beat red!  They each had bottles of water but it reminded me of when I have run or biked to far without water.  Anyway, they were okay...but we sold the Burley later that summer at a garage sale.  That was their last Burley ride.

Not saying that to discourage anyone from bike trailers...just to keep this in mind.  There little bodies in that plastic bucket don't cool like ours do while on the bike.

Ha, opposite end of the spectrum.  Took my boys for a bike path ride on a chilly and drizzly day, and they both had water bottles in case they got thirsty, right?  Well, they're just giggling and having a great old time the whole ride, no bickering at all.  Get back to the truck, open up the trailer only to find that the two goofballs had been squirting each other with water the whole time!  They were totally soaked, and it was freezing!
2010-07-29 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3012740

User image

Veteran
Monadnock
gearboy - 2010-07-29 3:46 PM
I would point out that there are many people (some of them even on this board) who think ANY bike riding on the road is scary dangerous. .

Hand goes up slowly from the back of the class......Guilty. I'm working through it, however. I lost a cousin who was 14 to a road cycling accident and moved over to the MTB. Then I just sat on my a$$ for too many years.

2010-07-29 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
When my son was little I bought a Bell trailer at K-Mart. That thing was a huge piece of trash. It attached to the bike via a clamp that no matter how hard you cranked on it would suddenly come loose at a most inopportune time.  Was coasting down a hill one day and the trailer suddenly came free and gained speed, which put the tongue right into my rear spokes. Managed to get everything stopped without going down, but had to have my wheel repaired. Also my spinning rear tire burned a huge hole in the canvas of the trailer.

After about two year's worth of light use the wheel bearings went bad. There was no way to get replacement bearings for them, so I had to junk the trailer. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

We bought a used Burley and found that to be a much better trailer. My son is seven now and rides his own bike, but I'll still use the trailer on occasion to haul loads. Last November I used it to bring home all the fixings for Thanksgiving dinner. In December I used it to haul home the Christmas gifts after shopping.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Child bike trailers Rss Feed