General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 ACME Multisports Music City Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2010 ACME Multisports Music City Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Alabama
United States
Team Magic, Inc
81.5F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 06m 13s
Overall Rank = 326/353
Age Group = 41-45 M
Age Group Rank = 52/56
Pre-race routine:

Arrived very early. Was the 4th bike in transition. I didn't know how bad the traffic would be so I did want to take any chances.
Event warmup:

Not too much warm up. Just a little stretching.
Swim
  • 40m 6s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very pleased with my swim. The last open water swim race was 1000 yards and I was 4th to last. I was very proud of my speed, sighting, and calmness during the swim. I was able to start out very slow and get into my groove fairly quickly.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I might push it a little harder, but my main goal was to complete the distance and remain fresh.
Transition 1
  • 05m 19s
Comments:

I sat down to put on socks and bike shoes. I also took a few seconds to drink from my water bottle. The run from the Cumberland River to T1 is fairly long. I felt I did everything correctly except for the socks/shoes I talked about.

One day I would like to get comfortable biking without socks and be able to get on the bike with my shoes already clipped in. I have not worked on this so I can't expect anything to change until I do.
Bike
  • 1h 43m 10s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.45 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew going into this race that I had focused too much on my swim and not enough on my bike. Normally I am stronger at the bike than the swim so I too this approach. The first loop wasn't too bad, but the 2nd loop absolutely killed me. I wore myself out and the rising heat index did not help. By the time I finished the bike my legs were toast, which did not bode well for the run.

Train on the bike more.
Transition 2
  • 03m 7s
Run
  • 1h 34m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 15m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot!!! When I say I did a good job keeping cool, I mean I did a good job avoiding a heat stroke. The heat index now was somewhere 105. My legs were toast from the bike. On the first loop I was running/walking (mainly walking) with other, who I realized later were on their 2nd loop. On my 2nd loop, I saw hardly anyone. It was a lonely feeling. My friend Joseph did join me for a mile or so, but it was a bad feeling knowing there were very few racers out there.

I feel my run training was adequate. I think it was my bike that caused me to suffer on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike, the bike, the bike.

Event comments:

The race was fine, as are most of Team Magic's races. I wished they would have let the Olympic distance racers go first instead of them having to wait an hour for the sprint racers to start, especially on a day where the heat index was going to be so high. I certainly don't blame my bad performance on the heat, but it would have been nice to be done an hour earlier in the morning. Also, there were a couple of drink stations that ran out of water for us BOPers. They did go get more ice and water, but it was so very hot that missing any drink station made it a little tougher.

It may sound like I am down about my performance. This was my first Oly and the longest race I have ever completed. I am super-stoked about my swim and I know that I am approaching being a MOP on the swim, which is something I thought I would never say. I am disappointed in my biking, but I knew my training on the bike was low this year, so I was not surprised. There are good things and bad things I learned and experience during this race. This entire race was supposed to be a learning experience to help me in my 1/2 Ironman in 9 weeks. It confirmed what I thought about my training. I think my swim will be adequate (but I would like to get faster), I need to train a lot harder on the bike (I knew this), and the jury is still out on my run.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:06 | 1640 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 40/56
Overall: 0/353
Performance: Good
Suit: N/A
Course: The course is a rectangular course. The first 350 yards and the last 350 yards are up current.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:19
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:43:10 | 24.85 miles | 14.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 51/56
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: The course was and out and back 2 loop. Going out was pretty much and incline the entire way. Not a steep incline, but an incline. Also, there were 4 or 5 nice rollers. This made the in part of the race alot of fun. It was much, much easier coming in than it was going out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:34:32 | 06.21 miles | 15m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/56
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly 2 loop 5k course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-29 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: 2010 ACME Multisports Music City Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 ACME Multisports Music City Triathlon Rss Feed