General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shoeless,minimalist shoe VS. running shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-29 5:49 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: shoeless,minimalist shoe VS. running shoes
what is your guys take on shoeless/minimalist shoe running...

VS.

traditional shoes

iv been looking into and reading alot about shoeless running, or atleast using shoes like vibrams 5 finger shoes...

iv had issues for months and months and wander how much is my stride from using traditional shoes forever

2010-07-29 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3013140

User image

Wisconsin
Subject: RE: shoeless,minimalist shoe VS. running shoes
I made the switch to minimalist shoes (Feelmax Osmas) in March after initially starting to work on my form in January.  The transition has been slow, even slower than I anticipated, but I really like them and don't plan to go back to traditional running shoes.
2010-07-29 8:09 PM

User image

Pro
I picked up a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and trained up in them.  They really did do all the things they claim- strengthened my feet, arches and changed my running style so that I wasn't heal striking so much.

But, on the roads and trails I was running, they just didn't give me enough protection.  Rocks HURT when you step on them, and it just took too much attention when running.  Plus, I started marathon training and the distances were ramping up faster than my feet could handle the pounding.  It was a relief to move back to sauconys.... and I've been working on changing my stride so I don't heal strike. 
2010-07-29 8:23 PM

User image

Albion and Cadillac
I don't personally have any experience with shoeless/minimalist shoe running, but I do have some input. I have read that the largest advantage that shoeless running offers is a regression to a more natural running style, with the toe or ball of the foot striking first as opposed to the heel. You don't need to buy minimalist shoes or go barefoot to reep these advantages though, just work on improving your running stride and gradually work from a heel strike (if you do so currently) to a midfoot strike and finally to a toe strike. Take your time with this progression though because years of heel striking can make switching very uncomfortable and can even cause injury to the achilles and other areas of high strain associated with a toe strike if you change too quickly. This is a much more shock absorbing healthy technique in the long run, but take your time getting there. Oh and if you don't run with a heel strike changing to the minimalist style probably won't provide many advantages outside of strengthening your foot muscles, and apparently toughening the bottoms of your feet ;-)
~Cheers
2010-07-29 8:42 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I made my transition to a more forefoot strike while using Nike Pegasus shoes. That was some 6 years ago. After some time, I changed to wearing my Nike Waffle Racers full-time, training and racing. That was a "minimal" as I went, and used them mostly off-road for training.

I had some problems with my 2nd met toe joint (went through a reconstruction in 2008), though I don't think it was related to the minimalist shoes. Now, however, with less range of motion in that toe, I can't wear the minimal shoes any more. I'm in Nike Air Max's now, and do some occasional light running in Nike Zoom something-or-others... My pace is a LOT slower now due to some ankle issues, but I've maintained the forefoot/midfoot strike through all of it.
2010-07-29 9:09 PM

Ditched my traditional running shoes in January after more than a year of dealing with tendonits on both sides.  Since then, I've run barefoot, in aquasocks, Zoot Ultra Speeds and Zoot Ultra races.  Everything says I should be in a nice big cushioned nuetral shoe, but when I've tried to go back my foot just starts hurting again.  Not sure why, but it works for me and I'm sticking to it.

2010-07-30 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
I started early this spring, went from using Brooks Trance 8s previously for most of my running (Zoot Ultra TT 2.0s for races)

I did a lot of mixing and matching as I trained depending on the distances, but have a pair of VFF Sprints I now use on runs 3-5 miles, Zoots are still my race shoes for tris.  I just got into Brooks Launch for some training and Green Silence for distance running races. 

The switch has helped me eliminate some knee issues, I would echo the fact that it takes longer than anticipated, and I am still far from perfect, but it has been a good journey.  I do not know that I will ever end up fully barefoot or solely running in a VFF type, but the Green Silence is one of the most comfy shoes I have ever worn, love the zoots as well.
2010-07-30 10:25 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I have always run in a very lightweight, low rise trainer or a flat, as I find that the less shoe I wear the fewer issues I have. I've not tried the Vibrams, but am interested in trying the Bikila model.
2010-07-30 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
im def gonna slowly switch to this unless for somereason it jsut doesnt work...

it helps form, also helps decrease the "strike" and turns it to more of a kiss...

the more impact every step, the more wear and tear it could do..

iv read to start barefoot, walking, etc.. then slowly start running THEN switch to shoes like vibrams once you get form fixed and the strengthening up...

iv had tendonitis for months and months and cant seem to shake it, even after PT..
2010-07-30 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I recently bought my first pair of Nike Free Run+ shoes.  I started off by just wearing them to work and to run errands in order for my feet to get used to the less-supported feeling.  I have since graduated up to doing some short and slow-paced treadmill runs in them.  So far, so good.  My lower back definitely feels better running in the Nike Free, than it did running in my normal stability trainers.  The balls of my feet do get a little sore and tender, after running in the Free's...but I expect that for at least a little longer or until my soles toughen up.  Also, my calves get a bit more sore...again, something I expected as I'm using those muscles more than I would in regular running shoes.  

One of the major reasons I went with the Nike Free Run, is because I have hammertoes (4th & 5th on both feet) and have had problems finding a comfortable conventional running shoe.  The Nike Free seems to accommodate my funky toes much better than any other running shoe.  It allows me to "spread out" my toes, in an effort to try and straighten them as much as possible within the toe box of the shoe.   
2010-07-30 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
i currently wear the nike free TR trainers... prob not as minimalist as the Nike free run

prob be the next step along with the vibrams or something

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shoeless,minimalist shoe VS. running shoes Rss Feed