General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tethered swimming... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-30 7:18 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Subject: Tethered swimming...
I was complaining to my wife about having to drive to the local recreation center to swim when I have a pool in the back yard.  I decided to try the TYR tether with a six foot bungie cord and the belt to go around your waist.  Got in the pool this morning about 6:15 and the water felt like bath water.  Hooked up the line and began to swim.  Two minutes later and I was standing up gasping for air.  My arms were really feeling it!  The difference will take some getting used to.  With no forward motion on each stroke your arms get the full benefit of every pull. 

For those that use a tethering system do you swim just a continuous time, do sets, etc?  How long before swimming with the tether feels "normal?" 

2010-07-30 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3013723

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Tethered swimming...
I've only ever used it a few times when I was swimming in University.  The rare times we used it, we did sprints - all out for various lengths of time then relax and snap back to the wall gasping for air.   
2010-07-30 7:52 AM

User image

Bronze member
I used that on vacation this summer and the same thing happened to me. As soon as I would feel I was in a rhythm I had to take a break! I felt like my legs were always sinking but maybe it was because I had to hook my strap to a picnic table on the pool deck. Anyway, I did about 40 minutes of intervals instead of a long steady effort but I think I got a great workout.
I felt like I lost the feel for water though. Like I was just stroking with my arms instead of using my whole body (if that makes sense).
2010-07-30 7:54 AM

triton63 - 2010-07-30 8:18 AM I was complaining to my wife about having to drive to the local recreation center to swim when I have a pool in the back yard.  I decided to try the TYR tether with a six foot bungie cord and the belt to go around your waist.  Got in the pool this morning about 6:15 and the water felt like bath water.  Hooked up the line and began to swim.  Two minutes later and I was standing up gasping for air.  My arms were really feeling it!  The difference will take some getting used to.  With no forward motion on each stroke your arms get the full benefit of every pull. 

For those that use a tethering system do you swim just a continuous time, do sets, etc?  How long before swimming with the tether feels "normal?" 

I used swim with bungees in college too - but they were the kind that would let you sprint out about 30 feet or so before pulling you back. The ride back was always fun....

I just picked up the "Short Belt" by StretchCordz to use in the home pool when I can't get to the gym or the open water. I found the key is to try and not fight the belt, try to settle into a rythm. Also - without the benefit of the lift you get from actual water streaming by you - it really makes you have to kick hard to keep your tail end from sinking. I found that using a pull buoy helps keep your tail end afloat and allows you to concentrate on only your pull. I will do sets of 5 minutes straight swimming, minute break, 5 minutes straight swimming minute break, etc. If I know that I am going to swim a half mile or mile in a race, I'll estimate my completion time based on my typical 100 yard time, and then swim for 10 or 20 minutes straight. It does get a little boring, but once you find a rhythm, you can just keep going.

You can also do all out sprint intervals - remove the pull buoy, and swim (with kick) as hard as you can for a minute - try to stretch the cord out as far as you can (pick a spot or seam on the bottom of the pool and aim for it) - then minute break, then all out sprint. Repeat as neccesary.
2010-07-30 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I've done quite a few workouts in the past few weeks with the ones that attach to your ankles.  I think I'm getting a decent workout.  One thing that took some getting used to was the absence of the 'bow wave' (really a trough I guess) where you breathe.  It did take a few sessions to get comfortable with the contraption, but it is working out for me fairly well now.  Once I can get back to the pool regularly, I will probably use them to get in an extra 'swim' session in here and there.
2010-07-30 9:23 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
triton63 - 2010-07-30 8:18 AM I was complaining to my wife about having to drive to the local recreation center to swim when I have a pool in the back yard.  I decided to try the TYR tether with a six foot bungie cord and the belt to go around your waist.  Got in the pool this morning about 6:15 and the water felt like bath water.  Hooked up the line and began to swim.  Two minutes later and I was standing up gasping for air.  My arms were really feeling it!  The difference will take some getting used to.  With no forward motion on each stroke your arms get the full benefit of every pull. 

I've noticed I tend to stroke a lot faster when using this system.  I have to concentrate and slow down to keep my normal swim pace.

2010-07-30 10:43 AM

New user
We used to use both a weight rack and stretch cord tethers, and found it really useful to do "laps" where you swim till you reach the end of your tether (or your ability to pull it) and then return to the wall, and repeat. I believe that this can be more helpful than just swimming in place, since you are practicing forward progress all the time, as opposed to swimming in place where you are essentially practicing "slipping".

regards,
r.b.
2010-07-30 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I only swim on a tether anymore.  I really like not having to go to a gym or wherever to swim.  Just step out the back door and I'm there.  You'll get used to it soon enough.

2010-07-30 1:09 PM

User image

Melon Presser
I don't swim against the cords; I don't put any tension on them. If I'm swimming in a smooth, steady rate, the cords are straight, but not stretched. It doesn't have to be hard, or really, any harder than swimming in a pool.

Just because it's ridiculously boring to just swim there like a lemming, I indeed do little "sets" where I swim harder for a minute, cruise for one, repeat ... or do drills ... or do a different stroke ...

You definitely do get used to it, and pretty quickly.
2010-07-30 1:22 PM

Regular
An interesting trick if you are worried about your stroke underwater. Put a full length mirror on the bottom of the pool right under where you will be at while tethered, gives you instant feed back as to how much you are rolling your body, your arm pattern, and gives an idea about your head position. I always used those cheap door-back mirrors from Target that are NOT GLASS!!!  Alot like videoing your aero position on the bike, but in realtime.
2010-07-30 1:23 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Sooooo, if I buy myself one of these tethers then that will justify having to get myself a pool right?  Laughing  I mean, without the pool I've wasted the money on the tether!

2014-05-24 11:05 AM
in reply to: triton63

Hey yall, I am new to this site, Id like to weight in on the subject. I cant really run because of my bad knees so I looked at biking and swimming for exercise. I am a member of a gym that has swimming lanes but I also have a home pool. I heard from a friend about the type of tethered swimming that has a pole rather than the bungee cords and I decided to buy one. I think it was like 200 bucks or something. But how I use it and numbed strokes and various speeds. When I first got on it I was dying just alike what you are saying but now I can comfortably go for 30 mins at a wack. Any way check out Super Swim its great!
2014-05-24 11:37 AM

Thanks for posting, I didn't even know these existed! I'll feel silly, but a great option when I can't get to the Y in the summer.
2014-05-24 1:11 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

New user
i used one last year to get in more pool time because I can only get to my regular pool on the weekends. i like it. i was immediately surprised at how natural it felt, and i had no problem getting used to it. I just get in and swim for time. waterproof ipod helps tons. get in, music on, hit start on my watch and swim for as long as i want, haven't needed to take breaks and haven't had any issues with my legs.
2019-12-01 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

I am a snowbird and have been swimming tethered for years. Each winter when I start up, like this year, day #1 - 6 min, day #2 - 13 min, Day #3 - 20 min and Day #4 - 30 min. I will swim 30 minutes 5/6 days per week till spring. Remember my pace is consistent but slow the whole time. I made my own tether by buying a scuba weight belt (@$9.00) add a scuba 'D' ring ($9.00) add an 6'/8' length of poly rope and a bungee cord to the end. I also use a center snorkel to concentrate on my stroke. Attach to ladder and go. Does anyone have a recommendation for a Garmin Swim watch or any other watch that will calculate distance for tether swimming?
Thanks.

Edited by notlob101 2019-12-01 3:05 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tethered swimming... Rss Feed