United States
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 47m 9s
Overall Rank = 257/400
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 47/55
Pre-race routine:

Got there at about 5:20am and set up my transition. Went and got body marked. Had to go potty about three times before we started. Surprisingly no line at the bathrooms for an all girls event.
Ate a banana at about 6am then a GU at about 6:20am. Made small talk with a few of the ladies.
Event warmup:

I was really worried about not wearing a wetsuit into Lake Michigan, but the water was great! The announcer said it was about 68. The only problem was the giant waves. I just swam around for a bit.
Swim
  • 08m 46s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Everyone was walking the swim. Yes, walking. I tried to get a good pace going, but there was no where to go and then people would be passing you running through the water. It was very frustrating.
So my time is crazy fast for me, but everybody's was pretty skewed due to the course.

What would you do differently?:

Practice in the open water more. I was concerned about the swim, but took dramamine yesterday and used earplugs today and didn't have the dizzy feeling getting out of the water. It also helped that the water warmed up!
Transition 1
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

I thought this time would be longer. There was a long run through the sand where they had little pools waiting to rinse off our feet. Then we had to jog about 15 yards then zig zag another 15 yards into transition. Got my socks and shoes on and helmet and sunglasses, grabbed my bike and I was off. Better than my last race.

Nothing. I think I did pretty well. I could always go faster, though.
Bike
  • 52m 10s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 15.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I got passed by quite a few peeps on the bike. I kept a good pace for myself, though and pushed through pretty well.
My plan on the bike was to take another GU right away. This was a bad idea. As soon as I opened it I dropped it. No problem, I thought. I have some jolly ranchers too. Put one in my mouth and it literally just fell out. I thought I would wait a while before trying again.

i need to do more workouts that are tougher. Mine just consist of me riding with no cadence or anything in mind.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Nice quick transition here. I considered changing my socks here because mine were drenched, but figured what's the point? Racked the bike, took off the helmet, threw on the visor and race belt and off I went.

Nothing. Went really well.
Run
  • 40m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran up the hills. Most peeps were walking. Maybe I should have since once I got to the top I had to catch my breath and walk a bit! Good course though, overall. I believe I took off about a minute from my last tri on the run.

I would like to be able to run the whole time.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of Iron Man sport drink they handed out after the race and some water. Stretched out the legs. There was a big breakfast afterwards for the racers. It was pretty nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me! I need to keep working on endurance. With weight coming off I think that will definitely help.

Event comments:

This race was really awesome. There was tons of free stuff when you pick up the packet and during the wait for the swim start they would tell the cancer survivors' stories. It was really cool to have that inspiration.

Last updated: 2010-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:46 | 400 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 140/400
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Point to point from North to South.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:43
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:10 | 13.67 miles | 15.72 mile/hr
Overall: 246/400
Wind: Some
Course: The only big hill here was right out of transition. Otherwise the course was pretty flat and went in a loop.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:13 | 03.11 miles | 12m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 268/400
Course: Two up hills on the way out and one up hill on the way back. An out and back run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-31 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: Irongirl

2010-07-31 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3015618

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Irongirl
You did GREAT!!!  I had a race where everyone ran the swim and I hated it!!  Looks like your times are faster than your last race, so you are getting better all the time!!! 
2010-07-31 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Congrats!!  Awesome job.... that wasn't just a nice post race buffet... that was awesome!  Congrats Irongirl!

2010-07-31 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice race! Way to be the one RUNNING UP the hills that rocks! Keep up the awesome training!
2010-08-02 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3016094

I did Irongirl too, and I walked at least 75% of the swim. I'd try to swim, and a wave would move me off course. Actually, I ended up with my best swim time ever!!

If you saw someone on the side of the road at around mile 10 of the bike course with a flat, that was me. Totally ruined my time. But, I thought the race itself was a lot of fun and well run. I'll be back next year. And, the amount of stuff we got at the expo??? I'm set on Luna bars for at least a year!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Irongirl Rss Feed