Scottish Borders Triathletes
16C / 61F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 44m 32s
Overall Rank = 47/98
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 23/40
Pre-race routine:

Listened to the race briefing - needn't have bothered - when I went to relay the info to friends I got it totally confused!
Got my stuff set up and tried my best to shelter my transition area from the rain!
Only hitch was that a passing guy saw me struggling and offered to zip my suit for me - I accepted then realised I hadn't been to the loo yet - paid for it later...
Event warmup:

Avoided other people and did a bit of stretching - not enough, but at least I tried some this time!

About 5 mins from the start I got in the water and got my face cooled down and goggles sorted.
Swim
  • 21m 8s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

I hung back a wee bit at the start which was stupid - had to swim 5m just to cross the start line WTF? (Muppet!) Stayed over on the inside and swam straight - after about 200m someone drifted closer to my line - I caught them up and drafted a wee bit - after the first buouy everyone grouped back together (don't know why everyone else went so far laft to start!) which allowed me to work my way up the pack in and out of drafts. I got to te front of the pack on the 2nd last buouy to discover that there had been a break away and the leaders were bloody miles ahead. I took off to try and hunt them down, but ran out of water! Damn chuffed, none the less!
What would you do differently?:

Start at the front on the inside and go like stink - stop being such a whimp at the start - I CAN OWN THE SWIM (if I stp being an arse!
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Seem to be having trouble getting my suit past my elbows this year - every OWS has resulted in me leaping about straight-jacketed - I'm not sure what's changed! Everything else was fine - happy enough!

Body Glide my elbows as well?!
Bike
  • 1h 24m 56s
  • 9.69 miles
  • 6.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Wouldn't mind trying it on a dry day!

Gonna do a lot more riding (once my back is totally sorted) and weights and own that course next year - not falling off would be nice too! :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Ran with my shoes on - the dismount line was followed by some really rough tarmac and I was chicken - I don't think it made much difference really - almost everyone did the same.

Need to sort elastic laces on my running shoes- faffing with a double bow was nuts!

Also have a run through of T-time as part of my race prep - for some reason I ended up racking my bike by reversing it in - I should just have lobbed it in as the girl next door did!
Run
  • 53m 45s
  • 6.06 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Keeping cool Good - it rained most of the time!
Drinking amount - I made sure to finish the bike bottle in T2 and I grabbed a cup of water at the top of the hill - mile4? not really enough, but no cramps or problems, so I'll live!!

Only negative was I had to pause (again!) for a bear in the woods moment (need to take something before a race - this kind of delay is just stupid!)

find a flatter course?!
- need to warm up better - my ankles were pretty sore and I was slow on the downhill especially because of it.
Take some Loperamide before the race starts!
Post race
Warm down:

Ate lots - FGS sachet + Honeystinger protein bar - both freebies from previous events - ok, but I wouldn't buy them myself!

Spent a lot of time walking back and forth with gear from transition to the van - apart from that nothing really - will do my hip stretches this evening.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My hip is still sore and because of my recent lay-off, my lead up has not been ideal...

Event comments:

There were some water stations, but really hard to marshall them because of the terrain. It was fine - everyone knows the score - I'd love to repeat it next year...

The only disappointment is a lack of timing mats, so there are no split times or split positions - I'd have loved to know where I was on that swim...

Last updated: 2010-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:08 | 1500 meters | 01m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/98
Performance: Good
2 laps of a triangle...
Suit: hell yeah!
Course: Perfect for me and apart from a red safety kayak obstructing one of the red buouys all was good!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 15C / 59F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:56 | 9.69 miles | 6.85 mile/hr
143, 167, 183 (lowest, average and highest HR) Zone 4 all the way pretty much!
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Absolutely brutal! :) 2102 ft of ascent over a 9.69 miles is too much! Spent a fair amount of time on the back of the hill having to walk and push the bike (HR was still in Zone 4!) 2 loops starting with 1.5miles of climb up a grassy farm track, we then turned right into the forestry heading for the Southern Upland Way - all paths were at least partially grassed (the really short, sheep shorn -slippy - variety!)All downhill was technical because of the wet grass (the alternative was the bouldery drainage ditch most of the time.) One mental section is graded as a black descent which I rode (twice!!) very pleased with myself! I'll admit that the first time round I came to the top of the black downhill carrying too much speed and if I'd tried to stop I'd have come off - having survived once I had a second go too! Awsome course - bloody hard work though - I hit the ground 3 times - twice into boggy grass (no worries), once into a river crossing - I ran out of momentum and my front wheel jacknifed - landed on my elbow in the river - damp and sore! The only other problem was that I had to pause for a pee half way up the start climb on the second lap - pay back for forgetting to go at the start!
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:45 | 06.06 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Performance: Average
7.54/mi, 168,173bpm 8.18/mi, 165,172 10.29/mi, 174, 181 10.26/mi, 176, 183 8.18/mi, 165, 175 7.56/mi, 164, 180 6.6/mi, 180,181 - note the "sprint" finish!
Course: Out of T2 into a water bath - thru some of the loch! Along the lochside - undulating and rough route then up the endless hill (2miles I guess - 10.29/mi and 10.26/mi!) then back down to the start. 1989ft ascent
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes