Aflac Iron Girl
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 34m 19s
Overall Rank = 173/302
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 32/55
Pre-race routine:

I slept like crap even though we stayed at the Comfort Inn, which you would think would mean comfort especially after sleeping in an A Frame at Door County. I didn't sleep more than a few solid hours the whole night. After the bike accident at my last HIM has made me edgy on the bike but I knew I needed this. Alarm went off at 4:45 am and the whole family got up and packed. We were checked out of the hotel by 5:15 with the coffee and puppy in tow. Got to race site and actually got an awesome parking spot and headed down to transition as it continued to rain on us. Set up my area, got body marked, said hi to a girl I went to high school went. Found out the water temperature was 68, which is chilly but for a short swim didn't need a wetsuit, especially with my busted one. Then did a potty stop and waited with my family until it was time to head down to the beach.
Event warmup:

The walk down to the start and bouncing around trying to keep warm... do I really need to warm-up for a sprint.... hmmm...no.
Swim
  • 08m 9s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

They made the younger girls go as the very last wave. We went off to the sound of the Aflac duck which was great! My goggles were slightly fogged but I figured the water was going to be cold anyways. And when I ran into the water it was like freezing without a wetsuit. Was able to almost run to the first buoy and dolphin dive for part of the second buoy. However, we were starting to get hit with some good surf so I tried to do some swimming and some running and dolphin diving. I was really glad it was such a short swim because it seemed the closer we got to the finish, the deeper it got. I then finally was turning the final buoy and was able to put my feet down and stand up and run towards the finish. Was so glad this was over.
What would you do differently?:

More swimming in waves??? It was a pretty good swim considering the conditions.
Transition 1
  • 04m 12s
Comments:

It was a beach run to transition and a long one. I had to walk just a bit of it because my heart rate shot up. They handed us Aflac towels which was cool. I also ran down the wrong row and had to corner to the next one and thank goodness I didn't have to run too far. Wet feet and socks are not good. But got going well. The sunglasses fogged but that cleared up.

Not run down the wrong row.
Bike
  • 46m 23s
  • 13.64 miles
  • 17.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I was apprehensive getting on the bike. Got up the hill fine and then couldn't relax once I got going. I finally got onto a surface that I was more comfortable with and started to pick up speed. Got to the square pretty quickly and saw the first woman on the return go past. Was very slow with turning and cornering because of the crash last week. I just wanted to stay on my bike and upright. I did spend a good chunk of time passing people which was awesome. Thanked everyone I could and just kept moving as fast as I can and took the hill back to transition slow.

I need to put some time in on the bike and build up some confidence again. Good ride considering the conditions and what happened two weeks ago.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Very good speedy transition. The numbers prove it. Nothing overly exciting. I was actually really glad to be off the bike.

Not a single thing!
Run
  • 34m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out running as much as I could, but was forced to walk for a bit before the first big hill. Walked up the first big hill and then ran down it. Forced myself to run to the next big hill and walked up that. When I finally got to the top, there was the first mile marker and an aid station just around that point. Grabbed two glasses of water, one to drink and one over the head. Then started running again. I did this whole run as far as I could and then walk until I caught my breath. Finally made it to the turn around and joked with the volunteers. Other racers were also joking about breakfast and a big giant duck cake lol! Made it to the aid station and got two more cups of water. Ran down the hill and walked up the next. Ran down the next hill and then was forced to walk to the 3rd mile and then ran it up a mini hill and down the finish chute where they announced that I was an Irongirl!

Train more for shorter faster running but overall that was a very good run!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a duck towel and my medal and gave up my time chip. Grabbed a bottle of water, a Ironman Perform bottle of stuff and a Muscle milk light before meeting up with my family. Walked around a bit, got my time and then got in line for the buffet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike accident from two weeks ago, the lack of training since then because of my injuries and the lack of speed training.

Event comments:

First year for this Iron Girl race and it was amazing! I love this series. My only complaint for the whole day was there were not enough tables for the post race buffet. The volunteers were great.... the police and bike support. The buffet was amazing. The goodies were amazing. I can't wait for this one next year!

Last updated: 2010-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:09 | 500 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/55
Overall: 0/302
Performance: Good
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: It was out around a buoy and then down the shore to the final turn to swim to shore. The waves were coming in from the southeast and were swelling from 2 to 3 feet.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:12
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:23 | 13.64 miles | 17.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/55
Wind: Little
Course: Very nice out course with a square then traveling back. Flat except for the first hill out of the park.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:24 | 03.11 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/55
Course: Out and back along the beach trail. There were these two hills in the middle... not very nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-31 5:13 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Aflac Iron Girl

2010-07-31 11:12 PM
in reply to: #3015895

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: Aflac Iron Girl
Great race!  I can't wait for next year!
And I'm glad you had a good bike ride. It's scary to get on after a bad fall, especially when you have to race! 
2010-08-02 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3016266

I loved the race, although I got a flat, which ruined my time.
2010-08-02 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3018315

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Way to go Pam! Sounds like you did great. Keep at it biking outside and you'll gain back confidence in not time I'm confident Smile
2010-08-02 12:57 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Great race! I'm signing up for an IronGirl with my sister next year for her first tri. I'm so glad to hear it's a good event!
2010-08-02 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Irongirl is a great event!  Doing New York, I assume?  Thanks everyone for the comments!

2010-08-03 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Great race report! I'm glad to hear all the praise for IronGirl too as I'll be doing Irongirl Boulder later this month. I'm really excited now!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aflac Iron Girl Rss Feed