United States
Muddy Buddy
Overcast
Total Time = 53m 35s
Overall Rank = 290/1425
Age Group = 56=65
Age Group Rank = 41/105
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 5(ish) - had a tough time sleeping last night. Stomach upset...

Rode out to the "farm" with Sandi, Bert (my teammate), and Becca (Sandi's teammate). wow, was it foggy!! Only able to see about 4-5 car lengths ahead of us. Made us late to get to the place.
Event warmup:

Basically walked/ran to the start line. As we got there, our wave was starting. So much for 'warm-up'. But at least we started in the right wave (you were DQ'd if you started in the wrong wave).

First segment 1.1 miles - (I ran, Bert biked). started running through some mud, then a little pavement, than back to the trails and a field. A few hills, but nothing major.

First obstacle: high wall -- about 8' high, and had footholds to help climb over - get over the top of the wall and jump down the other side. Then I bike as Bert runs

Second segment: (1 mile -- I bike, Bert runs). Started on the bike - uphill in the middle of a wet field. Spinning tires to begin with, but able to go o.k. A coupld of hills through the field, much worse than the first segment -- all field/back trails with lots of mud.

Second obstacle: low crawl under nets. No real problems here, able to get under quickly.

Third segment: (1 mile) After the last leg on the bike, I was thinking that this segment would be worse, so Bert could get a little feel of how insane the bike part can be.

But, after a little open field, it again opened up to a pathway, which seemed like it would have been pretty easy to bike on...... a few hills, but not as bad as on the previous segment...

3rd obstacle: balance beam of about 20' long. Didn't have any issues with that either (though a lot of people did - saw a few people fall over due to the mud on their shoes).

4th segment: (1 mile)I was back on the bike. It basically was up a hill in the field, then down a hill in the field. Add the stalks and rocks, and the bike bouncing around made it an adventure.... definitely the hardest segment of the day. wow, that beat me up.

4th obstacle: last "obstacle" was a 15-20' inflatable wall with a cargo net to climb up the front, then slide down the back. Even though it was slippery and muddy, didn't have any issues with this.

5th segment (1.2 miles) last run segment. a couple hills, but not too bad - working the way back to the 'farm'. Of course, just before getting to the end, there was a ditch that was completely full of water (about knee deep) that you had to run through (but Burt had to carry the bike through this, so he finally had something harder to do on the bike). Didn't get any warning about the hole on the left side of the ditch, which was another 8" deeper. I was actually passing people at this point, and almost wiped out, but able to keep balanced. Then finished towards the end, and the reason they call it "Muddy Buddy".

Last "obstacle": finishing segment was about a 25 yard mudpit that was a couple feet deep that we had to belly crawl through. um, yeah, it was messy. But we made it through, and crossed the finish line.

Post race
Warm down:

walked around, still full of mud, waiting for Sandi and Becca to finish (learned a little later that we FINISHED a few minutes before they STARTED). Went back to the 'water' ditch pit to watch people wipe out in the hole, and look for Sandi & Becca.... mud dried and pretty much caked on at this point.

Once Sandi & Becca finished, ended up jumping in a "lake" (don't even want to know what was in it), then using a garden hose to make a feeble attempt at getting clean...... I may be cleaning up mud for the next week... but it was fun.

Event comments:

water stops at each "obstacle". Even with the fog, they started on time (which I am sure made some people upset, because they got DQ'd for not starting in the right wave). Someone was taking pictures, so I may get them eventually.. we'll see.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-08-01 12:00 AM
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-01 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Muddy Buddy Chicago

2010-08-13 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3016992

Subject: RE: Muddy Buddy Chicago
Muddy Buddy is semi fun but mainly lame.  I'm signing up for Tough Mudder.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muddy Buddy Chicago Rss Feed