General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Trumansburg, New York
United States
Ithaca Triathlon Club
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m 40s
Overall Rank = 23/231
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/25
Pre-race routine:

A little bread and peanut butter. Water and coffee. Drove up with Rob.
Event warmup:

Two miles on the bike, up the steep hill. Light jogging around transition. Not enough swim warmup!
Swim
  • 27m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a good day for me in the water, especially since I consider myself a swimmer now. Just didn't have it....really doing way too much zig zag swimming. Not enough power or stroke rate. On the positive side of the coin I came out of the water feeling really fresh and relaxed....I think I just cruised on this one, mailed it in.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder!
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

All in all, not a bad T1. First in age group and 16th overall

Not much
Bike
  • 1h 12m 7s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice little headwind coming back. I came into this with a strained left calf and wasn't sure what to expect on the bike. Really held back, many times standing right up to stretch it out. It twinged a few times and I thought it was going to go into a full on cramp but luckily it didn't. Tried some heel drops to stretch it out and that helped. Rolled down the big hill luckily missing all the broken pavement and rolled, smiling, into T2. Can't believe I was able to pull that off.

Hopefully not be injured!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I knew I was looking at a pretty slow time for this race due to my injury so I took my time here....didn't have the custom quick release for the garmin so I had to take it off manually. No biggie, glad I had it on the run.

Get the quick release for the garmin! Oh, and not be injured!
Run
  • 45m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan going in to the run was just to think about having quick and light footsteps with a high cadence. Also to try and load the right leg and favor the left. Started out pretty slow, just getting my bearings and seeing what the legs had in them. Surprisingly they felt okay, not great of course, but okay. I gradually upped the pace and the h.r. and settled into a decent pace. Really zoned out on the run and just felt really focused...if that makes any sense. I was in pain but I wouldn't allow myself to suffer. Passed Jamie the first time and he said Bob Stocks was a couple of minutes up the road. Bob passed me coming back and we said hello and high fived. I started to think about actually catching him and told myself to just run my own race and stay within myself. I was unable to catch him at the Broome County Sprint two weeks earlier and I thought that with the extra distance of the 10k I might have a chance. Saw Jamie on the second lap and he said Bob was just up the hill. Saw Bob in his unmistakable Aquafor kit and caught up to him. We ran together for a bit and I decided to try and keep my pace and my H.R. that so far was working for me. With one mile to go I could hear him talking to me from behind and thought that this could get really ugly at the finish if it came down to a sprint. I was throwing everything I had at that point, fighting off some cramps. I slowly started to pick up the pace, hoping to shake him. Turned the corner to the chute and gave it everything I had....Passed under the banner with alot of emotion...went to some very deep places in my heart to get this performance out of myself. Bob came truckin in a bit behind me and sprinted over to the swim start to watch his son start the kids race. Hugged him when I caught up to him after, then texted him later that night thanking him for bringing out the best in me. He then ended up dropping off his compex unit off to my house to help me recover. Heck of a good friend.

Nothing. Left it all out there.
Post race
Warm down:

Purity ice cream baby!! Waters and hugs all around. Watched Matt Stocks (Bob's 11 year old son) run in to complete his youth tri.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A little beat up going in to this one!

Event comments:

I don't think I've ever heard one bad thing about this race.....I'll be back for round three next year!

Last updated: 2010-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:54 | 1640 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/25
Overall: 29/231
Performance:
Suit: full
Course: straight out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:07 | 24.85 miles | 20.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/25
Overall: 45/231
Performance: Average
HR started around 160 and gradually fell to 139 or so
Wind: Headwind
Course: Hills, nine miles out then down to the lake, back up a hill and back
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:05 | 06.21 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/25
Overall: 24/231
Performance: Good
Running in the 155-162 range, except at the end when apparently I went to 191
Course: Beautiful cross country course starting at a park right on the water and winding up a gorge trail that takes you to a waterfall, turn around and do it again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-02 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
Subject: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2010-08-02 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3018432

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

AG podium while injured!! Way to go, that is impressive!!

Congratulations my friend on a great HTFU race!!

2010-08-02 1:25 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Nice job JC! It's always great seeing you during a race. Glad I could help you dig a little deeper this race. Next race I'll try to keep my mouth shut and pass you at the finish! Wait a minute, I can't keep my mouth shut!
2010-08-02 4:13 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
SWEET!!  AG podium with an injury!!  You are a ROCKSTAR!
2010-08-02 6:44 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Congrates on hardware. 
2010-08-02 9:09 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed