General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unsolicited Racing While Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-08-03 12:43 AM
in reply to: #3018708

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Unsolicited Racing While Training
Boy I guess I am really different.  I love others to race, copy, or even ask me questions.  As a swimmer, swim coach, swim instructor all my life, I love it when people want to know.

If I really want to get rid of someone, butterfly is my stroke of choice.  A six foot arm span and rough water keeps everyone away from my immediate area.

2010-08-03 6:00 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia

Funny after reading this as I very seldom notice anyone in the pool once I get it at my local club.  Maybe it is due to my total lack of swim technique and that I am so focused on it??  On Sunday I noticed a female in the adjacent lane as I got in and would catch a glimpse every couple of laps.  Thought it was the same person but when I finished I noticed it was a male.  Don't know if this is a good or bad thing that I am that unaware of my surroundings during my swim.

2010-08-03 6:03 AM

User image

At 5:00 AM almost all the other lap swimmers are as into their own swimming as I am. There were epic threads on this and "the other tri board" about denizens of the pool. The racer who waits until you're 3000 yards into your sets and then sprints to beat you in 25 yard intervals was one of the more ignorable ones listed
2010-08-03 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3018771

User image

Regular
gts - 2010-08-02 12:21 PM Happens all the time -  treat it as an interval and beat them to the wall.  Cruise an active rest 25 and then repeat.  Makes the workout go by quickly! 

This for sure. I had a friend doing this last night, once I figured out it was happening, I'd just recognize when she was going to race me and then I'd push the pace. It actually made swimming the 800 much more entertaining, cause every 75 yards or so I'd get to have a lap where I really wanted to get to the end fast.

And, I'll admit, I do the same thing sometimes to random people. If I notice we've started at the same time... I'm going to push to beat them to the end. It hardly ever happens (I'm slow as molasses) but it's still fun to try.
2010-08-03 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Happens nearly every time I swim, and I hate it. Probably speaks to a lack of self control; but I can’t NOT sprint to race them once I notice someone pacing me/waiting at the wall to push off at the same time. I should have been mad at myself for letting it get to me.

From about January to June this year I was training for the Bay Bridge Swim, a 4.4mi OWS here in the Chesapeake. I swam 3.5 miles twice a week, and 4.5 miles on weekends. When I was like 2 miles in, and someone wanted to “race for” 25 yds at a time; I would get very very angry about having to sprint to break up the way they had synched up at the wall and were swimming side by side w/ me. I was tired, and bored and in no mood to put on a sprint; but couldn’t let it go. Again I should have let it go, and I never said anything. It bothered me, “whippy F’in skippy; you can sprint for 25 yd to keep up w/ a pace I’ve been maintaining for an hour or more. There are better/faster people than me in this pool; go away and bother them.”

In the end it REALLY helped to be able to bust out a sprint in the middle of a LONG endurance thing. In the open water, towards then end when you’re the most tired AND the tide kicked in all of a sudden, you need to bust out that sprint to stay on course. Mentally I appreciate it, and know that it shouldn’t bother me. But when it happens, I’m always pissed. And w/ the better/faster people out there, I NEVER thought of it as a compliment. I actually kind of thought of it as an insult, like they thought of me as an easy target to beat. After all, they didn't know I had already been there an hour.
2010-08-03 12:17 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Greshe - 2010-08-02 1:58 PM I have a weird situation going on was curious if this happens to anyone else and how they might handle it.

I swim at my local LA Fitness and this happens from time to time but it seems to be occurring more and more lately when I'm doing interval sets.  Here's what happens - the person "racing" me (it's not always the same person) will start at the same time as me and will kick and flail in the pool until reaching the other end.  When I make my turn around, they will wait at that end of the pool until I come back around again.  Once I'm back to their end of the pool. they then will start their kicking and flailing until we make it to the other end where they'll wait for a period until they caught their breath and will start back up again.  On most days it doesn't bother me but occasionally it becomes a distraction and it ends up bothering the crap out of me, which is exactly what happened yesterday.  I'm a slow swimmer and really just want to get into my workout without any distractions.   This ever happen to you?  What would you do about it?

Thanks

Happens all the time at my pool. If I'm the fastest one, others will race me. If I'm not the fastest, then I'll pick it up to hang with the fastie. I'm not a fast/efficient swimmer, and there are ppl that can haul arse in there. It makes me really work to keep up with them.

I'm not a "kicking and flailing" type of person, though. I like to think, at the very least, that I've got decent form.

Edited by tri_d00d 2010-08-03 12:26 PM

2010-08-03 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
I'm with Jorge...it's good practice for the real thing when 100 other people will be flailing and splashing and kicking you in the face...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unsolicited Racing While Training Rss Feed  

of 2