General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Observations for a race volunteer. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-02 3:54 PM

User image

New user
NYC
Subject: Observations for a race volunteer.
So over the past two weeks I volunteered at two tri races, the Nautica NYC Triathlon, and the NYRR Flushing Meadows Corona Park tri.  I ended up being near the bike in/out for both races, and saw some common errors I would like to share to help some people out.

- Listen to the volunteers.  Do you think I yell at everyone I see just for the hell of it?  I am not trying to chit chat, but am trying to tell you something important.  I might even throw in some advice that could help you out.  Like slow down and check your gear because a big hill is around the corner.  Yelling above the cow bells, clapping, and noise makers can be tough, especially when there are 5,000 participants to convey info to.  I lose my voice at the end of the day to make your day better, not mine. 

- Slow down when told to.  Everyone knows it a RACE, and the point is to go fast, so if I am saying slow down there is probably a good reason.  At NYC it was the sharp turn and big hill right after the start of the bike.  I saw more than enough people lock up their brakes and almost eat it just to try and save a 1/8 of a second.  Not worth it at all, and while you may have not crashed, you scared the heck of the your fellow bikers as your flew into the corner and cut them off.  You survived your mistake but you could have easliy ruined their day when they have to take evasive action.  At NYRR people screamed into the bike dismount area.  One lady flipped over her handlebars once she realized she passed the dismount line.  Another person lost control, crashed, and I had to call the medical team because she most likely broke her collar bone.

- Take you hand off the brakes.  When you hit the brakes to slow down and dismount the bike, remember to then remove your hand from the brake lever once you are off the bike.  I saw more people than I could believe walking a bike with a locked up wheel looking dumbfounded at their bike.  One guy even stopped, tried to mess with is caliper, tried to spin the wheel, even tried to kick the wheel loose so it would spin again.  The only problem was he still had a death grip on his brake lever.  He didn't hear a thing I said and finally carried his bike to the transition.

- Be respectful of other racers.  Most people move continuously during the race.  If you are going to stop and tie your shoe, take a drink from you water bottle before you mount your bike, or mess with a component on your bike, please do it to the side.  People do not expect stopped object in their path, and do the most unexpected thing when they find them.   Also, do not stop directly on the timing mat and try to give your bike a tuneup. 

All that said most people were as nice as could be, and said thanks anytime I told them something.  Not that I am looking for it, or even expecting it, but a thank you from a racer after I wish them a good race means a lot to us volunteers.  It gets me to cheer louder for the upcoming racer, and makes the 5 hours of standing around not racing that much more bearable. 

2010-08-02 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3019236

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Observations for a race volunteer.
Thanks for the advice and thanks for volunteering.  Vonlunteer's make such a difference.  Thanks.
2010-08-02 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayville, Wi

I'd add:

Grabbing nutrition from me on the bike?  Make eye contact with me, and call out what you want.  If you're wearing sunglasses and I can't see your eyes, you might want to point at me.  You also might want to slow down a bit so there's less chance of sending that bottle or gel you're grabbing for flying.

2010-08-02 4:18 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
It's absolutely amazing to me how much "dumbing down" the RD and volunteers have to do on race day...
2010-08-02 6:25 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Your timing chip volunteers would greatly appreciate it if you would :

1.  Bring your race number with you to pick up the chip as you have been told a million times

2.  Learn how to get the chip onto the velcro strap--or the plastic hospital style id band .  Seriously, this isn't tocket science!  DON'T put the strap on too tight, we will need to get that thing off your ankle in a couple of hours.

3.  STOP at the table and let us get your chip from you post race.

2010-08-02 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3019555

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
QueenZipp - 2010-08-02 7:25 PM

2.  Learn how to get the chip onto the velcro strap--or the plastic hospital style id band .  Seriously, this isn't tocket science!  DON'T put the strap on too tight, we will need to get that thing off your ankle in a couple of hours.

Really? Every race I have ever been to, the chip is already on the strap. I would fumble with it, too, I'm sure! Would be faster to just have the volunteers do it ahead of time.

Thanks all of you for volunteering! The volunteers at all my races have done an amazing job! I can't wait until my kids are older and we can all volunteer at an aid station together. For now, if dh is racing, I have the kids, and vice versa. It will be cool in 10 years when we can all do something useful!

2010-08-02 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA

when you cross the finish line, PLEASE make sure your number is clearly visible on the front of you - it's NOT just so they can sell you pictures.  There's often someone writing down numbers as a backup to the timing system, and you'll make their day quite a bit easier if they can see your number.

2010-08-02 9:09 PM

User image

Bronze member
All good advice and reminds me why I gravitate towards the smaller races.
Thanks for all your hard work volunteering!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Observations for a race volunteer. Rss Feed