Canada
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 12s
Overall Rank = 6/86
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

Did a quick ride on Saturday morning and then packed up and drove to the motel. Played with Alexis and then just enjoyed the evening with Victoria. Woke up a 5:45, got Alexis going, packed up and headed to the race site. Arrived about 7:15 and then took care of registration, setup, etc.
Event warmup:

Did a short run warmup (about 2km) easy with a couple of pickups to race effort. Did a short swim (about 500m) with some pickups to race effort. Chatted with Parker in the water and checked to see which way the current was going.
Swim
  • 14m 45s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was ok; started hard on the inside and aimed straight for the first buoy. I had nobody to draft off for the first leg as the faster swimmers started towards the middle of the river. I had some feet for a bit on the return leg but they were all over the river so I headed out on my own. I got a bit tangled in one of the buoy lines due to the current and cutting it a little close. Overall this was a pretty solid swim although the time doesn't really indicate it.
What would you do differently?:

More swim training
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Solid - small issue with suit stuck on one heel but quick through transition.

Nothing
Bike
  • 34m 43s
  • 20 kms
  • 34.57 km/hr
Comments:

My powermeter was cutting in and out (display) but looking at the data, I could have paced more evenly and also gone a little harder. It was hard to get into a good steady effort with the wind and rolling hills and I found several times that I was backing off when I should have been pushing. Overall I was holding a steady pace except when I dropped my chain with about 7km to go and had to stop to put it back on. Prior to that I was gaining on the athletes in front of me and keeping the OD distance athletes at bay so the ride was going well.

Ride harder and change the batteries in my computer.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Good fast transition

Nothing
Run
  • 20m 10s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 02s  min/km
Comments:

I went out hard and started trying to reel in the athletes up the road. I entered transition with Connor and Liam and Brigham were just up the road so my goal was to run them down. I focused on a nice relaxed position and just aimed to feel like I was running fast; after Gatineau I wanted to feel like I was racing and I was able to do that. I had caught to sprint athletes who were really suffering on the run but still had a few in front of me. Except Parker and Connor, I had all within my sights and was able to pass Brigham just after the turnaround and then worked to chase down the guy I didn't know in front of me. I caught him with about 1km to go but Brigham caught back up at that point. I should have jumped on Brigham's shoulder and gone with him but I let him gap me a little and just couldn't get back on. With about 500m to go the other guy I had passed passed me and I tried to stay on his shoulder and then outsprint him to the line. Unfortunately he had a better kick and I ended up taking sixth after running in 4th and 5th for a bit on the road.

Run a little more tactically, especially against the young guys to break them instead of letting them back into ther ace.
Post race
Warm down:

Packed up to get Alexis back on the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and a mechanical

Last updated: 2010-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:45 | 750 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 8/86
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: Clockwise rectangle - fairly strong current this year; against the current to start and finish
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes