DQ Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 27s
Overall Rank = 15/17
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Slept badly the night before but was up at 4am since we had close to 2hr ride. Woke up to find the boys and Mike already dressed and snacks/water all packed up. Mike was loading my bike on the car.

Had terrible butterflies- drank a bunch of water in the car but did not eat anything.
Event warmup:

After getting my stuff settled into transition, I walked down to the lake to feel the water. Felt nice but figured I would use the wetsuit anyway. Headed back to transition and wiggled into my wetsuit. Back to the water and a VERY brief warm-up before they called us to pre-race meeting.
Swim
  • 13m 29s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think my wetsuit was not pulled up far enough because as I started swimming it felt like it was choking me which put me in a panic. I made it to the first buoy/turn (probably 100yds) and I could not catch my breath. The only way to swim was doggie paddle. Continued on this way to the last buoy/turn towards the beach. As I made the turn, a guy in my wave was clinging to the buoy and freaking out. I stopped and calmed him down, got him floating on his back and he told me to go. I still worried about him as I headed in. Unfortunately there were only 2 lifeguards in kayaks and they were both at the opposite end of the lake. Not really impressed with that.
What would you do differently?:

I would skip the wetsuit and take advantage of warmup
Transition 1
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

Seriously long run from the beach to my bike but once I got there, no problems. Had some problems getting wetsuit off and socks onto my wet feet. Did not want to sit but should have, would have saved some time.

Realized as I headed out that I had my nose clip stuck on my finger. Tucked it into my tri shorts pocket.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 52s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 13.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Was the longest ride I had taken on my new bike and was not really ready for a race yet. Figured this was really just a training day for the NJ State so did not put any pressure on myself. Pleased with my performance.
What would you do differently?:

Train a bit more
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, got out of wet tri suit, went to get something to eat and then waited for end of triathlon for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training

Event comments:

When we arrived, they were still setting up despite saying packet pick up started at 6:30am. No one seemed to know where bike in and out was, swim in and out, no marked racks for gear.

Overall it is not a bad race but when I have the amazing experience and organization of CGI's NJ state, nothing much seems to stack up. Would consider doing this again next year if we don't have anything going on.

Last updated: 2010-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:29 | 440 yards | 03m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 12/17
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU-SC2 wetsuit
Course: sort of a modified rectangle in the lake - water was nice and probably could have gotten away without using the wetsuit
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:52 | 15.2 miles | 13.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 15/17
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Long, flat on roads surrounding the park. Well-marshaled but VERY flat so there was no coasting.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right