Life Time Fitness
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 45s
Overall Rank = 466/1015
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 61/118
Pre-race routine:

5AM - woke up and had a clif bar and drank some powerAid. Had all my stuff laid out and packed night before.
6:15AM - Arrived on site Got to the site and got marked, clipped and setup my transition area.
7AM - Transition all setup and walked around to see the layout ...for entry and exit points for bike, swim, run
Event warmup:

Few minutes before take off I did a quick swim warmup.... moments before starting the race. Had a little more powerAid (bad idea!!!...)
Swim
  • 30m 50s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did so much better on the swim this time, They release contestant every 1-3 seconds so no big take off... made things less chaotic and didn't freak me out. I did my best so far on time in the OW and felt very good about my time on this leg... I still did several minutes of breas stroke... to 1) avoid hitting people once I felt them in front of me... 2) to see where I was and re-direct my freestyle. I did have some acid reflux from the poweraid... need to stay clear of that in the prepartion period ... seems my stomach needed somethign else to give it.. more wholesome perhaps... not sure ... I kept burping up acidic poweraid.. yuk!
What would you do differently?:

Figure out how to maintain freestyle for the whole distance... I kept running into people in front of me.. and need to figure out how to swim around them without resorting to breaststroke
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

Still suck at transitions. I watched the pros do it though (after the race on tv) and I will practice these techniques next time...

Not wear bike socks... put my shoes on the bike instead of putting them on and running to the exit with them... Jump on the bike and put the shoes on my feet as I gear up
Bike
  • 1h 21m 21s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Some guy did 30 MPH average on the bike ... 23-25 was what most top athletes scored. I average 18.3, but could have likely done 19-20 if I hadn't stopped. My rear tire reflector came loose and I had to stop and readjust it so it wouldn't clack against the bike. I probably burned ou a good 3-4 minutes fussing with the tire. I also slowed down considerbly on some sections... need to get my mph by doing more power training.
My core muscles got really sore on this leg... my stomach start to ache really bad... the Poweraid made me sick...too acidic.. fellt like acid reflux... my back and pelvis area (muscles and tummy) start to hurt pretty bad...

Make sure the bike is set and nothing is loose... doh!! Do more power training and get my MPH up to 20+ mph... work on higher HR and higher cadence...
Train my core more... incorporate core session training once a week. I am too weak in this area... obviously.
Eat and drink the proper intake prior to racing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Another pitiful transistion... I felt pretty fast though... I didn't take my feet out prior to dismounting... I put my running shoes on fast enoguh and ran pretty hard to the exit... I left my bike socks on...

Not wear bike socks.... put running socks on ....
Dismount with feet on top of shoes ...

Run
  • 1h 02m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't think I would make it... the running was unbearably hot. After the first mile, I really thought I wouldn't make it. I had to stop and walk many times (each mile) and rest.. The water breaks were all I could think about ... mostly water and a bit of power aid (washed down with water)... I had to use a bathroom after a few breaks... once I started running again the feeling went away. I made it to the end.. but I really broke down on this section. I ran the same course 2 weeks earlier with 7:45 min/miles after biking the 25 miles... so I am pretty sure the heat and my lack of triple bricking or longer distance running was the reason I broke down on this leg.

Train more miles in my running. I definitely need to up my running to 15-20 miles per week. I was ill prepared to deal with the distance after the first two legs.
COnsider the heat 'training' as part of the training.
Push my pain tolerance higher...
Post race
Warm down:

Energice... oh that was soo good.. and a big large cool blower in the finisher village... I drank 3 bottles of water and 1 more energice...

walked around a bit then sat in a nice shared area with a nice breeze and relaxed for 15 minutes

What limited your ability to perform faster:

tolerance for heat, my back pain, my stomach ache, my endurance, i had to pee.

Event comments:

I had a great time... and the race was top quality all the way... lots of famous competitors as well... very enlightening... Saw the governor and watched the whole thing (the pros anyhow) on NBC sports the same day. I am looking forward to doing it again.
Thanks for all the encouragement pops!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:50 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 41/118
Overall: 347/1015
Performance: Good
AVG HR 155 MAX HR 168
Suit: 2 piece LTF Tri outfit
Course: Out (NE), across(South) , In(NW) Course ran from west beach toward each side (almost across whole lake). Water was very warm
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:13
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:21:21 | 25 miles | 18.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 87/118
Overall: 605/1015
Performance: Average
AVG HR 149 MAX HR 160
Wind: Little
Course: Mild hills around the lakes and mississippi river. Pretty flat overall.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:02:00 | 06.21 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 57/118
Overall: 488/1015
Performance: Below average
AVG HR 155 MAX HR 165
Course: around the lake twice. VERY HOT and HUMID! 95-99 degrees and heat index ..felt like it was 100+..
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-17 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
Subject: 2005 Life Time Fitness Triathlon

2005-07-17 11:34 AM
in reply to: #200241

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Subject: RE: 2005 Life Time Fitness Triathlon
Sounds like this race was a real gut check and you stood up to the test. Good job man.
2005-07-17 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Good job finishing.  Sounds like you had a difficult time, but were able to work through it successfully.

I like reading reports where someone has issues and works through them, let me know that I'm not alone in my struggles.  And, that not every race is going to be perfect. 

2005-07-17 9:22 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Good report.  What type of powerade?  Powder mixture and water or was it the off the shelf type.?      Nice to hear that you hung in there and finished.  Lots of good learning material.
2005-07-18 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, MN
Nice race, I was racing the Olympic too. Dang, it was hot. Never raced in anything like that before. I really struggled on the run too, but I think everyone did. I think the pre-race "off the shelf" powerade did me in too. I've never drank it before and it was all they had and we had to wait so long before the start, so I joined in. I think I puked up little bits in my mouth 5 times during the swim and bike. Congrats and maybe it'll be cooler next year.

Derek

Edited by derekh25 2005-07-18 9:34 AM
2005-07-18 10:14 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
awesome job! it WAS a hot weekend. i feel for ya! you had a great race though!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2005 Life Time Fitness Triathlon Rss Feed