General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using HR to pace first olympic triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-04 2:30 PM

Subject: Using HR to pace first olympic triathlon
Can someone give me some advice as to using HR to pace my first olympic triathlon?  I have done 3 sprints this summer and don't want to crash and burn during the first olympic but don't want to go too easy also.

2010-08-04 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3023564

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Using HR to pace first olympic triathlon
Doing my first oly this season, too.  Don't think I'm going to use the HR monitor, though, for a couple of reasons.  It's a Garmin 305 and would need to be put on during T1 and I don't really feel like messing with it.  Also, only been training with it for a little while so I'm more comfortable just racing without thinking/worrying my way through it.  It's been done before.
2010-08-04 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
If you're going to use HR to pace an oly, what are your threshold HR numbers for the bike and run?
2010-08-04 3:20 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

If you haven't been been doing heart rate training and don't know your lactic threshhold numbers, then attempting to race by HR isn't going to work very well.

That being said, I've been HR training for about five years and have had lab testing done to determine my threshhold numbers.  On the bike I use a combination of HR and RPE to manage my pace, while keeping my cadence between 85-95 rpm.  I'll set my lower HR alarm at the low end of zone 3 and the high alarm about halfway into zone 4. 

The bottom line is that I'm trying to go as hard as I can on the bike while still saving something for the run. 

My run is my weakest discipline, so if anything I'd rather overdo it on the bike. 

Once I get to the run I mostly go by RPE, but still keep an eye on my HR.  If my HR drops too low, then I know I can probably push harder (even though it is probably going to hurt).

Mark

2010-08-04 5:19 PM

User image

Chicago
did you wear your HRM during your previous sprint tri's?  and as redcorvette asked, are you accustomed to wearing your HRM during training?  will you be relying on your HRM a lot during the race?  i ask these questions because it's important that you're very aware of your zones during a race if you're going to be relying on them.  it's especially important in a race because...well, you're in a race and I'm sure time is important to you.  for that reason, you don't want to end up relying on your HRM and end up going too fast or too slow.  to make matters more complicated, your heart rate tends to be elevated during a race due to all of the adrenaline that comes with race day.  so, in a nutshell: use it on race day only if you know your zones well and used your HRM enough times that you trust it and are comfortable with it.  
2010-08-04 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC

I did this for my first two olympics.  I had targeted 150 BPM on the bike and 160 on the run based on simplistic HR calculations and more importantly months and months of RPE calibration.  I was worried about bonking.  When I did the races though I ended up averaging 170 and never had any significant lag periods.

Having just done my first HIM, here's my thinking as a MOPer: Sprints- race on the verge of vomiting (as I read on this forum at one point); Olympics- think about a 3 hour brick rate of exertion then add 10%-20% for race pace; HIM- more complicated (and only I have only one race under my belt) but I will try to increase my long (3 hour) practice brick pace and then plan to maintain that for the 5-6 hour race. 

But I defer to more knowledgeable and experienced posts.

2010-08-05 6:09 AM
in reply to: #3024313

User image

Veteran
smoom - 2010-08-04 11:06 PM

I did this for my first two olympics.  I had targeted 150 BPM on the bike and 160 on the run based on simplistic HR calculations and more importantly months and months of RPE calibration.  I was worried about bonking.  When I did the races though I ended up averaging 170 and never had any significant lag periods.

Having just done my first HIM, here's my thinking as a MOPer: Sprints- race on the verge of vomiting (as I read on this forum at one point); Olympics- think about a 3 hour brick rate of exertion then add 10%-20% for race pace; HIM- more complicated (and only I have only one race under my belt) but I will try to increase my long (3 hour) practice brick pace and then plan to maintain that for the 5-6 hour race. 

But I defer to more knowledgeable and experienced posts.

Could you explain these please I have never heard the way you have phrased this before.
I mean I know what a brick is and have done them but I just do not understand what you mean by "3 hour brick pace" or by adding "10%-20%????
Very interested!
2010-08-05 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3023604

User image

Payson, AZ
mashmead - 2010-08-04 12:49 PM Doing my first oly this season, too.  Don't think I'm going to use the HR monitor, though, for a couple of reasons.  It's a Garmin 305 and would need to be put on during T1 and I don't really feel like messing with it.  Also, only been training with it for a little while so I'm more comfortable just racing without thinking/worrying my way through it.  It's been done before.

A bit off topic, but you can wear the HR monitor in the water.  Just not the watch.  I wore mine for my last HIM.
2010-08-05 6:50 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Assuming you have your heart rate zones properly defined.... perhaps this article from the USAT web-site will be helpful. Here's an excerpt:

"For Races in the 1:30 to 3:00 Range:

* Low Fitness: Keep the entire race at Zone 1 to 2 intensity.
* Medium Fitness: Include a short warm-up on the bike or running (10 to 20 minutes) and in the water (five to 10 minutes) before the race begins. Begin each leg of the event at Zone 2 intensity and get settled in. Plan to race each leg in a negative-split manner, with the second half of each leg to include effort at Zone 3 to Zone 5a intensity.
* High Fitness: Include a warm-up on the bike (10 to 20 minutes) and running (five to 10 minutes) and in the water (five to 10 minutes) before the race begins. Include a couple of 60- to 90-second efforts at race pace near the end of each warm-up segment. Begin each event at Zone 2 to 3 intensity. Plan to increase to Zone 4 to 5a intensity during the second half of the bike and after the first mile or two on the run."
2010-08-05 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC

-------------------------
Oh, there is no science to that, it's just my way of thinking.  In fact it's backward from the way most of the training plans are written (race pace -X%) but a similar idea.  When I was training for the HIM, I did a lot of 3 hour rides and bricks at a steady pace I thought I could hold for a long time (5-6 hours in the race).  I sort of use that now as a baseline.  With more data points (races) to draw from, I am confident that I could push that pace big time for an OLY race.  For my next HIM I intend to train toward increasing this "base" pace.  This all probably goes in the category of doing a lot of training focused on the length of race you're going to do so you know what to expect from your body.

2010-08-05 1:07 PM

Thanks to all the posts.  I have a lot of really good ideas moving forward and many to take with me this weekend.  Thanks!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using HR to pace first olympic triathlon Rss Feed