General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plica surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-04 11:31 PM

Subject: Plica surgery
Plica surgery? Anyone had it?

What were your symptoms? Results of surgery?

2010-08-05 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3024398

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Plica surgery
I had my knee scoped 6/1 and I had two meniscus tears, my plica removed, and couple other things done.

I'm back training and did my first race last weekend 8 weeks post surgery. You can check out my log to see how my training went post surgery...swam once portals were healed, biked soon after surgery, running started back at 4 weeks and still gradually building up. I'm still not back to where I was after my HIM prior to surgery but things are moving along.

Hard to say what pain was from what as I had multiple issues. I got Lymes that did some funky things to my knees plus I'm 48.
2010-08-10 10:54 AM

San Jose
I was having pain in my my knee, and a constant popping, but the knee was stable. After several exams, an MRI, the doctor agreed that something was wrong, but wasn't comfortable doing surgery, so we chose to wait and see how it progressed. One day I bent down to pick up a toy, and my knee would not bend to more than a 90 degree angle, it instantly swelled. I went back to the doc, and he said it was now time to do spmething, they scoped it and there was no ligament or tendon damage at all, just the plica was torn, and the torn flap was getting into the joint and over time had gotten hard, even to where it eventually caused my knee to not be able to bend. Afterwords, within 3 weeks I was at full activity level, and never had a problem related to that again.
2010-08-18 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

Thought I'd bring this thread back since I had plica surgery last year and had no idea what plica was!

I was first diagnosed with a torn meniscus....had pulling in back of my knee, which was a weird sensation, and then eventually had knee pains that really took my breathe away when I was going up and down stairs and anything that involved stepping on my toes.  Had an MRI, and Dr. saw a torn meniscus....but when I went in for the scope, it ended up being plica that was casting a shadow on the MRI. 

Surgery was fine -- had plica removed and they also did some chondroplasty of the femur.  My Surgeon didn't want me to have PT, so I went on my own because I had trouble with swelling and bending in the first week.  I did my first "mock" sprint tri 5 weeks after surgery.....mostly on no training at all, but I did manage to hobble my way through something that looked like a 5K run.

A little over a year later, I'm good as new.  All the knee symptoms went away -- so it was definitely a smart move to just get it scoped.  Hope you have a good outcome! 

2013-09-10 1:32 PM
in reply to: mtngirlincali

I had my plica surgery about 3 1/2 wks ago. You stated your surgeon didnt want you to have PT, mine didn't seem to think it was necessary either. After almost a month post surgery I am not as far along as I had hoped. Still having swelling and pain. I don't foresee any form of lower body workouts in the near future. May I ask what it is you did on your own? I am still icing the blasted thing and am getting frustrated!

Thanks for your input.

Tamara
2013-09-16 2:27 PM
in reply to: TamaraL

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I am an orthopedist and I try to get all my knee arthroscopy pts to goto PT.  I jsut hink it helps you recover better and faster but that is my opinion.  Look up some exercises for range of motion and quadstrengthening.  Typically peopel with plica pain also have patella or knee cap pain and typically have quadriceps weakness. Look up

Straight leg raises
Wall slides
heel slides
quad sets
hamstring sets
mini squats and start with those.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plica surgery Rss Feed