General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the advantage to compete in Athena? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-05 3:58 PM

New user

Subject: What is the advantage to compete in Athena?
Hello - I am new to the Triathlon scene.  I have somewhat of a unique situation; I am a fast swimmer, ok biker, and fairly fast runner and finished my first tri competitively in the "regular" division.  However, I am almost 170 lbs.  I don't THINK you would be able to tell my looking at me (I am a little more muscular than most women).  What is the advantage to competing is the Athena division?  Is it less competitive?  More so?  Any input is greatly appreciated.  THANK YOU!

2010-08-05 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3026042

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: What is the advantage to compete in Athena?
Depends on who races that day, just as it does with your AG.

The Athena group tends to be smaller, but they put all ages together (or maybe split it into 2 groups...39 & under and over 40).  The advantage is not having to compete against those who have less mass to move (who are, generally speaking, going to be faster if simply because they are light on their feet...but this isn't always the case, obviously.)

The advantage is competing against other Athenas.  You're going to have a hodgepodge...from those who are more than 150 due to being overweight to others who can't weigh less than 150 without getting rid of an appendage or 2.  Some of Athenas will be wicked fast and you'll have your work cut out for you.

So, really...it all goes back to who shows up that day.
2010-08-06 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3026292

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

What she said is true.

Although I would say that in the races I've done, the Athena division is usually much less competitive.  I regularly win Athena hardware in the same races where I would be MAYBE middle of pack in my AG.    In fact, in my last race I was about 10th from last and yet still got 2nd Athena (and maybe 1st, the timing appears to be off for the first place girl).  So think that says we were all in the correct group together

I personally like winning and have a better day if I do well in my division, so I pick Athena.  If it's all about having fun, which everyone says, I have much more fun if I get to stay for the awards ceremony and people clap for me!

2010-08-06 8:38 AM

New user
It really does depend on who is at the race that day and who chooses to race Athena or Clyd.  I ASSUMED when I first got into tris that the clyd division would be the easier group to race in. Some races this is true, sometimes it is not.  And, without starting a long discussion, The AG will generally be tougher because you are racing people who have bodies made for endurance racing.  However, in reality, there are some very fast Athenas and Clyds out there and they are well within the weight range.  And, they would also end up high in AG and overall.

2010-08-06 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3027067

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

It seems to me that the Clydesdale division is generally more competitive than Athena.  Just in the races I've done.  I wonder about the psychology of that... Guys see it more black and white than women do. 

In my experience many gals who are Athena will not associate themselves with the group.  I make a joke of it!  I told the body markers at my last race I was Athena, if that mattered with marking, and they said they didn't know what that meant.  I said "Oh, it's the special division for the chubby girls!" and we laughed.   I am not exactly chubby... 

jrondorf - 2010-08-06 8:38 AM It really does depend on who is at the race that day and who chooses to race Athena or Clyd.  I ASSUMED when I first got into tris that the clyd division would be the easier group to race in. Some races this is true, sometimes it is not.  And, without starting a long discussion, The AG will generally be tougher because you are racing people who have bodies made for endurance racing.  However, in reality, there are some very fast Athenas and Clyds out there and they are well within the weight range.  And, they would also end up high in AG and overall.

2010-08-06 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I have been debating this today for a local race in which I have been first place Athena for the past couple of years.  However, most of my racing friends are in my AG and I know that Athena starts at the end, so this year I am racing AG just so I can go head to head with my pals.  My time last year would have put me at 4th AG which is respectable, and with my new bike, well, this year we will see how it goes.  That said, my friends all just turned 40(while I am an ancient 41) and are super speedy, so I am not worrying so much about podium as much as beating last year's time.  Nobody really cares, outside of triathlon friends, what category you raced in or how you finished!  Just go out and enjoy your day, race as you choose to race.  I've also noticed that Athena is not generally as competitive as Clydes or AG but I usually race it just to show others that Athenas can be fast! 

2010-08-06 11:40 AM

New user
BikerGirrl-

I think you are right.  (speaking from a very general point)We guys think about it as we are competing with other's like us, vs. what I've heard gals say- "awh, I unfortunately can still qualify for the Athenas."  (As previous threads prove, their are many very attractive Athenas)  I know gals who would qualify for Athena, but would not sign up as because of "image"  ie "I'm not that chubby, fat, etc."  They would do well in the Athenas, but take their lumps in AG to avoid the "image."  For guys, we are big, we are noticably bigger, "huskier" (as my grandma would say) and Clydes division is almost more comfortable becuase we aren't having to race against the "skinny people."

I've noticed, though, that I am one of "those guys" who gets you are not a Clyde, because you've become more competative with the "skinny people."  So I'd say there is more "you can't be a clyde because you are too fit or too fast, (I'am 6'1" 220)"  then the stigma of what it might say about one's body.  I've personally choosen to run as a Clyd in only one Tri in MN because of this, which (not saying I would always podium) takes a competative person out of the division, making it easier for others to podium.   Therefore, one could say the Ath/Cly can be less competative if people make those choices too. 

However, I think many guys, not all, would love to be out of the Clydes just like the gals would like to be out of Athena if it were possible, they were below the weight requirment. 
2010-08-10 1:56 PM

OK - I'm REALLY new to this!
I completed my first sprint tri this past weekend - and I didn't even know there was an Athena group that I should have registered as... there was no option on the website when I registered, although looking through the results online there were some guys showing as 'CLY'.... guess I should have known about this.

Anyway, I'm 230lb right now and working to be under 200 for next year. I still finished in 1hr 36mins which I was really proud of. I'll still be an Athena next year, as bar the surgical removal of a leg or something I will never be under 150!!
2010-08-10 3:10 PM

User image

Master
PNW
I race Athena if there are others signed up for it.  I won't sign up as the only one though because that's no fun...I don't want podium by default!  I'm generally solid MOP AG but FOP Athena.  And yes, there is a stigma to it...and I wish there was a way to change that.

I have a friend who is a decent triathlete (regularly podiums AG in smaller races).  She used to race Athena but now is down into the 135 lb range.  She encourages me to race Athena and she said she always signed up if the category was available.  Her belief was that she wanted to show that you don't have to be tiny to be a triathlete.  Sounds noble, right?  The thing is, she also regularly convinces her 6' friend to race AG so that she doesn't 'sandbag' the Athena category.  That just pisses me off.  Yes, her friend is a nationally ranked distance swimmer and can run like the wind...but she is well over 150lbs and I think that she SHOULD race Athena.  I WANT more lean, tall or muscular girls racing Athena so that they can help dispell the misunderstanding that it's the 'fat girl' category.
2010-08-15 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3035347

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I raced Athena today and managed to take first, ahead of two other girls.   The best thing about this was that we were each very excited to get our medal.  I think that's great!   All 3 of us stuck around to accept our awards and the enthusiasm of the other girls (who had cheering sections) was worth having the category.  In a smallish race where my "other" AG only had 11 people, I take a group of 3 seriously.  I have just as much in common with the Athena girls than the ladies in my AG, I think.

It's funny, too, because of course I saw at least 20 girls who surely qualified.  At least around Minnesota, the Athenas should be the largest group! 

2010-08-16 8:34 AM

New user
Nice job Emily- I tried to catch ya after the race, but you took off too quick on the bike.  (I was taking photos and with the gal who took 2nd).  I agree with ya.  I heard conversations from some gals and a guy who said "I should have race A or C."  But, it goes back to one of your earlier posts.  It is what they think of the catagory in their heads as "I don't want to be known as ______"  It seemed that both the Ath and Cly groups were the more excited to get their awards and had the better support. 

2010-08-16 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3045442

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Sorry I missed meeting you!  I was so ready to get out of there   It was a long morning...  I should probably start to worry that more people will be interested in going into the C & A groups

I can't remember which of the other two girls was 2nd and 3rd.  Was the 2nd girl part of that group of folks with matching trisuits?  Both girls really kicked my butt in the water.  If they get any better on the bike or run, I am screwed!

jrondorf - 2010-08-16 8:34 AM Nice job Emily- I tried to catch ya after the race, but you took off too quick on the bike.  (I was taking photos and with the gal who took 2nd).  I agree with ya.  I heard conversations from some gals and a guy who said "I should have race A or C."  But, it goes back to one of your earlier posts.  It is what they think of the catagory in their heads as "I don't want to be known as ______"  It seemed that both the Ath and Cly groups were the more excited to get their awards and had the better support. 

2010-08-16 3:50 PM

New user
She was the one in the matching "Tri Kings" uniforms.   She was a competative swimmer, so it goes to show you still need to be consitent in all three (5 if you include transitions) events.

As I told the people I was with, finishing that swim was an accomplishment in it's self.  I was giving them positive support before they went in.  I was glad I wasn't racing after I saw the first wave go out and many having strugles in a very short time.
2010-08-21 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
I fall in to the athena for life category.  I also fall in to the never going to be competitive in my age group at endurance events unless I outlive everyone category.  Of course it's possible that I could keep training and someday be competitive but based on my body type it's highly unlikely!  That said, I can out lift many women with very little training!  I'm just built bigger. 

In my mind I see athena as "endurance events for weight lifters."  I'm not really a weight lifter, nor are most other athenas, but I feel like in my case a weight class makes much more sense than an age class.  I'm much more interested in knowing how I stack up against 40 year olds with my build than against other 25 year olds.  In the races I've done thus far, athena has been less competitive than at least my age group (though I have seen some very fast athenas).  That's not to say I do it for "easy" hardware (placed for my first time ever earlier this month!) but just for results that are more meaningful to me.  I don't really care how I compare to the little skinny girls built to be runners so I generally don't pay much attention to age group results.

I think what it all comes down to is that you should race in the division that will make your results most meaningful to you.  Decide who you want to be competing against and go from there.  And whichever you pick, enjoy it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the advantage to compete in Athena? Rss Feed